Stephen Mc Manus

livivoice

Sorry to hear that the big man has had to retire at the relatively early age of 34.

I know that he hasnt always been everyone`s cup of tea but for me he was an excellent servant to the club.

Prior to his injury in February he was since signing back in 2013 largely injury free. Since signing apart from the odd wobble he was for me often the glue which kept our defence together . This was all the more important as he regularly had a different partner beside him and had to nurse these players during games.

I am sure if you had to ask players like Hutchy, Laing ,Ben Hall and Heneghan [ amongst others] they would all say Mc Manus was an important influence on their careers.

Also I always found him approachable and happy to talk.

Anyway best of luck in your new career and if there was one tie I will always fondly remember your contribution in it was the play off against Rangers. He was simply immense.

• Like 5

I know he has had his critics in recent seasons but I think he has been a fantastic player for us since he signed, these days 34 is not that old for player so the injurys must have caught up with him. I hope we have a plan to replace him as I think that it will be a case of we never knew how much he contributed to the team until he is no longer in it. Wish him all the best in the coaching role.

I'd echo that he's been great for us. He was part of one of our better teams, and has no doubt been a huge influence on our younger players. He obviously had his flaws, which is why he ended up with us, but I'm sure most would agree he was a positive part of our squad since he joined. Considering his questionable knees, he was almost ever present until late last season.

Not the quickest but used his considerable experience to get out a few scary seasons. All in all a very good signing and think he will be very influential with regards the kids . Ideal post and possibly a future manager .

So thanks for your efforts big man and all the very best in your new post

• Like 1

An undervalued player by many in our support in my opinion...I often thought people expected far too much of him, purely because of his career history/background.

I'm not sure what his new role entails, but best of luck to him in that.

Agree totally with you on this, sorry to hear he has had to retire.

All the best to him.

Nah, I'm sorry he's had to retire, and good luck and that, but I won't miss him. I've said it before, but he's the most disappointing signing I can remember and our defence has been a complete shambles since he's been in it.

And I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about Ibrox last year.

• Like 2

Wonder if this had been decided in the close season, whether Las would have continued playing and Mick would have taken on AM role.

If the Marvin transfer happens hopefully we can now add a centre half, striker and wide player for the first 11.

It was becoming increasingly inevitable but it's nevertheless sad to hear injury has curtailed big Micks' career. While he didn't meet the expectations of an esteemed Scotland/Celtic player, he was a very good experienced defender at our level.

Good luck to McManus in his new role, hope he is around for a while. Think he had the credentials to be a good manager.

I think it says a lot about the man that when he realised he wouldn't be contributing to the first team, he called it a day rather than picking up a wage while sitting in the stand.

All the best to him in his new role. I wonder if he was in for the Celtic coaching role that Maloney ended up getting?

• Like 1