Scottish Premiership Game 3: Ross County (H) Saturday 19/08/17

Andy_P

After about 10 mins I was wishing I hadn't bothered and had just gone to pub.

Grim stuff.

Second half much better and could have had more if it weren't for poor decision making/final balls.

People may disagree, but thought we missed Frear. Seem to get further down the wing and more crosses in with him on (particularly looking at first half)

Can't complain about the 3 pts though.

Onwards and upwards

Frear has been badly missed the last few games. His delivery's are outstanding and even when he's not having his best game he tends to pre-occupy two players because of his pace.

• Like 4

I certainly didn't foresee that outcome when the teams headed down the tunnel that's for sure. As has been said already it was awful stuff and we were fortunate not to be behind. In the grand scheme of things we're still in early days territory as to how we'll fare this season but that first half display did set some alarm bells ringing.

Some bold changes by Robinson at the break, in particular Tait to left-wing back switch. I did have a wry smile as the guys behind us demanded changes at the interval only to become incredulous at the sight of Tait on the left.

But it was night and day. It allowed Cadden to do what he does best and these days if Cadden plays, generally Motherwell play. It swung the midfield battle our way and Campbell had a terrific impact on proceedings with his determination to close players down, energy and Moult looked much more at ease with support rather than being the rather isolated soul he was in the first half.

Our first was slightly fortuitous in the sense that fell perfectly for Tait after Davies missed but not so much given the balance of play was moving more and more to us. The second significant in that it pretty much sealed the win, particularly with the accompanying red card, and for Moult to get a goal. You could almost see the tension and frustration he has been playing with lift from his shoulders after he tucked the penalty away.

Just really pleasing to get off the mark. No matter how you've been playing the longer you go without winning the more pressure is likely to inhibit the players and make them even more edgy and cautious so it's good we've got that monkey off our backs.

Now to build on it!

• Like 2

I give credit to the manager for changing things after an abysmal first half. Tanner and Fisher seemed unable to cope with RC's "physicality": they for me will always be the most "street wise" XI in the league. That's not a compliment. Sendy-off Boy should be driving a plough.

Campbell and Bowman were a great improvement, the latter giving great support to Moult, who had been completely isolated in the first half. I also thought MacLean showed promise when he came on.

The manager may consider the two young Scottish midfielders worthy of more starts, and they certainly offered more dig and passing options.

Haste ye back, Elliot Frear: we missed your drive down the flanks. You may look a shilpit wee guy but you get kicked up and down and never give up.

We would have lost this match last year. We produced much more fight after HT and Campbell and MacLean were contributors to that.

Campbell is brilliant. Thought his break up play totally changed the game dynamic. Basically he did what Bigi was supposed to do. Too me he is too good to be on the bench. Playing 3 in the middle you need a Campbell to protect the back 3.

Bowmans work rate caused County problems when came on and eased the pressure on Louis. Not a slight on Fisher who for 30mins was playing on he left.

In relation to Louis I thought he was very petulant in the first half, throwing elbows around and also himself and County players to the ground. Settled better in the second half and looked relieved to score.

Cadds needs to play wide as he is lost in the middle sometimes and we miss his drive.

What did Henneghan do to deserve a card, and was the sending off because the ref thought there was no attempt to play the ball, a foul in the box is no longer a red card.

1) Nothing that wasn't repeated throughout the game. 'Excessive force' in mid-air can be the only explanation.

2) Commented on this at the time - Can only have been for a Professional/Deliberate foul with no attempt to play the ball

Campbell was excellent for us when he was thrown into the team at a difficult time at the end of last season,he should never have been taking out of the team and today was the perfect example of that,he must start next week.

Campbell must start nxt week thought he was excellent !! First time I have seen him and was impressed ! Bowman had good game to just needs a goal !! And it was good to see McLean come on to ! Robinson just needs to sort out what formation he wants at times it's hard to work out what we are playing and I think it looks like the players struggle to work it out to !! Don't help when you have pish poor refs sending off players and the amount of bookings are going to tally up with a few suspensions

• Like 1

I give credit to the manager for changing things after an abysmal first half. Tanner and Fisher seemed unable to cope with RC's "physicality": they for me will always be the most "street wise" XI in the league. That's not a compliment. Sendy-off Boy should be driving a plough.

Campbell and Bowman were a great improvement, the latter giving great support to Moult, who had been completely isolated in the first half. I also thought MacLean showed promise when he came on.

The manager may consider the two young Scottish midfielders worthy of more starts, and they certainly offered more dig and passing options.

Haste ye back, Elliot Frear: we missed your drive down the flanks. You may look a shilpit wee guy but you get kicked up and down and never give up.

We would have lost this match last year. We produced much more fight after HT and Campbell and MacLean were contributors to that.

Agree with all of that but what does 'shilpit' mean? Thats a new one for me and I am often accused of using strange words!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Agree with all of that but what does 'shilpit' mean? Thats a new one for me and I am often accused of using strange words!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

It's a Scots word, meaning, generally," weak, feeble, consumptive, etc", a favourite of both my grannies. The great Andy Weir always looked chesty and weak to me but was a wonderful and courageous winger, at a time when they were chopped down cynically by backs..

Sorry, Clackscat, it's my age.

• Like 1

First half shocking. Second half miles better thanks to Campbell and Bowman. I am still not convinced about Robinson's signings apart from Kipre and have Been big preacher of home grown talent so Campbell doing great was so pleasing. A!so fair play to Bowman, he takes a lot of stick on here but you can't fault the guy for effort. Felt sorry for Fisher as he isn't a left mid

Main things from today's match is we have got 3 points on the board and that fair play to Robinson, he's made the changes at half time that were absolutely necessary.

First half was truly terrible and we were lucky that Ross County for all their domination were a bit shot shy. Griffiths did make one excellent save though. I think the visitors will be pretty disappointed though that they haven't put us to the sword in the first half because we were struggling to be 2nd best at that stage.

Second half the changes have been made and both made an impact, I don't think Bowman will ever be a goal scorer but at least he makes the odd run, puts himself about and occasionally holds the ball up, all things Fisher didn't do in the first half. Also Allan Campbell coming on has had a huge impact. Gave us aggression, energy and a bit of thrust in midfield when he came on and as far as I'm concerned he should be our 2nd choice midfielder after McHugh. Bigirimana was very poor today again.

We were a bit lucky in that Ross County missed a real chance in the 2nd half, then lost Andrew Davies to injury, then given away a penalty and got a red card, but we should be happy that we've taken the breaks we got and transformed them into points.

Overall, I think it's still a bit concerning that at 11 v 11 and both teams at 'full strength' Ross County have bossed most of that game and we have been absymal. Think Robinson really needs to give it a serious re-think about what his strongest team is.

Fingers crossed the likes of Griffiths, Campbell and Bowman keep their place next week.

You're a total buzz kill this season. Everything ok?

Missed Frear badly today.

Rose doesn't look a player. Tanner was shite. Fisher is a tryer but....yeuch. Dunne looks better in a back 3, but his pace saves him more than anything else. Moult needs to go for cash and be replaced asap. We'll be safe, but it may get ugly

And on a positive note Kipre and Tait are good enough, and Robinson obviously has the stones to make big calls.

And Campbell looks the tits.

Who knows what the plan was in the first half. The constant shifting of positions might work in some computer simulation but it didn't help us with Tanner, Cadden, Fisher, Bigi and Moult all suffering in the first half due to formation. Defence and Rose kept us in it - just.

In 2nd Campbell was a solid "destroyer" - what Bigi was presumably meant to do in the middle. That plus positions for Cadden and Tait whiched suited them made us much more solid and left the more creative elements to work.

Really surprised MacIntyre didn't even try and combat us. He reminded me of McGhee - keeping to his formation and tactics when opposition was obviously on top. Still that's their problem. Ultimately great win and bit of luck for Bowman and composure from McLean and we would have had several more.

Presumably, Robinson was trying to set up a team to compensate the lack of Frear and McHugh. It also sounded from his post-match that there were a few out there today that were not 100%.

Credit, again, to him for changing when he saw it wasn't working. And not just for changing it, but succesfully.

• Like 1

The last few times I've seen Ross County at Fir Park Cadden has destroyed Van Der Weg at left back so when I heard he was playing I assumed he had to be playing up against him. I was disappointed to see him play in the middle and he had a poor first half. He was much better in the second half and caused problems and kept Gardyne quiet.

Credit to Robinson for the half time changes but the shape could have been changed earlier without the change of personnel although credit is also due for that.

Bowman looks as though he's lost a bit of weight and gained some pace with it. Good contribution from him helped swing the game our way.

Definite penalty but I thought he was unlucky to get sent off as Moult playing it with his thigh had taken it wide.

Second half was so much better. First goal might have been fortuitous and a penalty is always a bonus. But after that we were able to boss the game. We should have scored more but there was an obsession with getting a goal for Bowman rather than playing the more obvious pass. Shows team spirit perhaps?

Bowman contributed well outside the box and Campbell crunched a few tackles. Was Tait moved to take him out the firing line, he played well on the left.

McLean looked composed when he came on. We seem to have a number of options.

Agree with most on here.county were not far off taking the piss in the 1st half their defenders and keeper were passing about at will and our centre midfielders were nowhere to be seen.campbell coming on and caddden on right with bowman in the middle with louis gave us miles more.campbell loves a tackle and always gets to be available. Fisher as someone else said is not a left mid and I felt a bit sorry for him.louis is trying now to be a bit of a superstar I feel rather than doing what hes been great at last 2 seasons which is staying in the middle and getting on the end of others work. All in really happy with the win and dunne henaghen and kipre are all big strong defenders who I feel will improve all the time with games.

• Like 1

I don't get the credit Robinson.He's got a week to work on the starting line up and made an arse of it, he changed the formation at least three times in the first 45 minutes. We could have lost the game in the first hald as much as we won it in the second half. Robinson was lucky.

Campbell made a huge difference when he came on. Seeing a Motherwell midfielder reading the game, being aggressive and making tackles was a contrast to the previous two league games. Bowman was much better than Fisher but his individual performance is still miles below what we need, effort isn't enough.

I don't get the credit Robinson.He's got a week to work on the starting line up and made an arse of it, he changed the formation at least three times in the first 45 minutes. We could have lost the game in the first hald as much as we won it in the second half. Robinson was lucky.

I think what he thought (or thinks) is our strongest team actually isn't.

The test will be if he learns from his mistakes.

We'll see if the likes of Campbell, Griffiths and Bowman retain their places next week.