Scottish Premiership Game 3: Ross County (H) Saturday 19/08/17

Andy_P

Steelboy it doesn't surprise me you don't get it. Much of what you've written about him for a good bit now reads of the air of someone who has already made his mind up he's not good enough. You might not need to look too hard at times I grant you but you do seem to be defaulting to a negative view pretty much win, lose or draw.

Time might well prove you correct,for me it's still too early to say but some of your posts this season have the feel of the Michael Higdon and Stuart McCall stuff from a couple of years ago where you've made up you're mind and nothing is going to change it regardless of what they may go on to achieve.

• Like 5

Robinson called it right at HT took off the 2 worst players by a mile tanner and fisher !! that's got to be the worst display I have seen first half !! ! Thought Campbell did really well and bowman ran his guts out ! Totally different second half just good to get 3 points

I think SR deserves a lot of credit for being bold enough to realise that first half formation/s were certainly not working and manage to get it sorted out at half time, I honestly think he will be a good manager for us and most people have underestimated him when appointed.

i also have to say that Ross County for the first half were a very good footballing side and certainly looks like they miss Boyce, it will be interesting to see how they perform against Rangers next week.

Bowman was much better than Fisher but his individual performance is still miles below what we need, effort isn't enough.

Im sure he was involved in the goal and had an 'assist' of sorts for the pass leading to the penalty.

He hasnt been doing that every week, but if he does now then it's exactly what we need.

I don't get the credit Robinson.He's got a week to work on the starting line up and made an arse of it, he changed the formation at least three times in the first 45 minutes. We could have lost the game in the first hald as much as we won it in the second half. Robinson was lucky.

Campbell made a huge difference when he came on. Seeing a Motherwell midfielder reading the game, being aggressive and making tackles was a contrast to the previous two league games. Bowman was much better than Fisher but his individual performance is still miles below what we need, effort isn't enough.

He's learning what players can and can't do too in real games. We were short of McHugh and Frear today and the team was experimental to some extent. To me, Tanner in particular failed today's physical challenge but Campbell and MacLean didn't. Moult looked so much better in a front two with Bowman. Campbell's appearance released Cadden's creativity.

There is so much more hope than last year.

For Christ sake. It was a game of 2 halves due to the weather conditions with a strong wind blowing towards the cooper stand. Yet the same folk as always are on here constantly moaning about the team. Aye it wasn't a great performance in the first half but at the end of the game we won 2-0. We have some very good players some decent players and some squad players, isn't that what every club needs? For those who do nothing but persistently moan, in the words of mrs Brown "That's nice"

I don't get the credit Robinson.He's got a week to work on the starting line up and made an arse of it, he changed the formation at least three times in the first 45 minutes. We could have lost the game in the first hald as much as we won it in the second half. Robinson was lucky.

Campbell made a huge difference when he came on. Seeing a Motherwell midfielder reading the game, being aggressive and making tackles was a contrast to the previous two league games. Bowman was much better than Fisher but his individual performance is still miles below what we need, effort isn't enough.

Hmmm are you perfect Steelboy? Have you ever got somethings wrong at your work, have you ever had the actual responsibility to formulate a plan, see its not working and then change it, have you ever had to put a team of people together, motivate and train them.

From the tone of your posts I doubt it as if you have then you will realise managing anything is not an exact science, and perhaps be a bit more realistic in your expectations.

It seems to me you have an irrational dislike for our manager which transcends the normal debate and differences of opinion quite rightly aired on here, but I will give you this you have been consistent in your view of him.

For now I am happy with what he has done since he stepped in. As regards the likes of Campbell/McLean he has proved he is willing to put them in but they now have to prove they are up to the task. If they do they will play more often simples, but expecting them to be regular starters every week is unrealistic at this stage of their development

As you say Campbell changed things when he came on. Wonder who made that decision? But I suppose in your eyes he should be castigated for not starting with him so deserves no credit for making the change.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For Christ sake. It was a game of 2 halves due to the weather conditions with a strong wind blowing towards the cooper stand.

Nothing to do with the weather, it was a game of 2 halves due to the fact that we were utter pish for the 1st 45. Don't know what Robinson said but we were a different team 2nd half and it worked, a good 3 points.

Some truth in that. A lot of credit has been given to Robbo on here, with some justification, for his changes at the break; however Steelboy makes a valid point. Our line up and tactics in the first half were shambolic. Our line up was as I feared beforehand. Fisher playing wide left; a toothless central midfield in McHugh's absence; and an isolated lone striker. This handed Ross County a huge, but totally unnecessary advantage but fortunately they couldn't capitalise on it, so yes were were lucky to some extent. Campbell ought to have started in the middle and MacLean ought to have started wide left. Players looked as if they didn't know where they were meant to be playing. Square pegs in round holes comes to mind. I exempt Fisher and Tanner from any criticism. The former was played totally out of position and the latter clearly wasn't fit and should not have been playing. Once again we struggled to service a lone striker who seemed to play anywhere except where he should have been. As in Perth last week we had no creativity or cutting edge. Frear was badly missed and Tait had a very poor first half. Cadden still looks uncomfortable in the middle. I thought Robbo ought to have made changes after 20 minutes or so and held his hands up but he held off until the break. We escaped damage and limped to the half time whistle.

To his credit Robbo realised things weren't working and he'd made serious errors pre match. He then changed things about and brought on Bowman and Campbell. To my amazement Tait was switched to left midfield and did a great job there. Campbell added bite to our bland central midfield and really ought to have started there from the off. That doesn't mean to say he should play alongside McHugh because he shouldn't in most circumstances. Bowman made a big difference up front with his running and energy. We then deservedly took the lead and the rest is history. Robbo almost lost the match for us but as it transpired he won it for us. Clearly he possesses tactical nous but he can also balls things up on occasion.

Over the piece I thought Griffiths, Dunne, Heneghan, Campbell, and Bowman were the pick of the bunch. Tait like his boss put in a Jekyll and Hyde performance. I think that MacLean can feel hard done by. He ought to have seen far more game time today as we were very lop sided. Worrying too that Cadden was pulled back to right back.

Anyway a good home win, 3 points and a shut out. A Jekyll and Hyde performance today. We really miss McHugh and Frear and I hope they're back next week.

Good to see Bowman getting some credit for once. Probably never going to be a prolific goalscorer but everytime he plays he gives his all and as a fan, you can't ask for more than that. As I said last week he needs a run in the team to build his confidence.

Agree with most of what's been said and I did say after last week at Perth that we play worse and win - and we did that in spades today.

Criticism of Fisher is a bit unfair. Robinson obviously asked him to play a particular way (don't know why) today but when he was at ICT he was an out and out penalty box striker.

Fans sometimes unfairly criticise players when the players are really trying their best in an unfamiliar role which the manager has asked them to play. The manager cocked it up first half and it looked as though the players were totally lost with all the tinkering that went on. The time for experimenting was during the pre-season not when the season is under way.

I recall the year we won the Cup seeing Ian Ferguson being asked by Tommy McLean to play wide right to prevent the Falkirk right back from getting forward. It worked a treat first half but Fergie duly got pelters from the fans. Second half he followed the instructions for about 5 minutes then decided "f*ck this" and moved further forward abandoning his "defensive" role. Well soon after a signal came from the bench for Fergie to get back, but he was having none of it and signalled back with the two fingered salute. Tommy McLean went ape and shortly thereafter Fergie was subbed.

Lets not play 4 at the back again is what we take from the game ;)

Problem with a back four is unless you have a striker who can play as a lone striker, it means 442 and only playing two in centre midfield you can get outplayed in there. That's what happened to us yesterday. 433 or a 'squinty' 442 with one winger are your other options and until Frear returns we don't have a proper winger. Or a great option for left wing back for that matter. Maybe should be a signing priority..?

So fans should bear in mind that players can have bad days due to being asked to play unfamiliar roles.

Absolutely. Yesterday in the first half we had too many square pegs in round holes; unnecessarily so. A touch of the Craig Brown syndrome where you play your 11 "best" players irrespective of their correct positions. Whilst I thought Tait had a very poor first half, in fairness for most of the 45 minutes he had no-one in front of him for protection. Louis Moult suffered from lack of support and was frequently left isolated or ended up behind his midfield when we were on the attack instead of being in the opposition penalty box. Fisher is clearly no wide left midfielder and his role reminded me of John Sutton's under Craig Brown.

We were crying out for width and MacLean could have provided that. Pre match I wondered who was going to play in the tough holding midfielder role as there was no-one obvious on the team sheet. I worried that Ross County would steamroller us in the middle of the pitch and thats just what happened. Thats a role, for which, young Campbell is tailor made and he showed that when he appeared after the break.

Finally a word on the referee. Again a poor show but fortunately no huge game changing errors. Totally inconsistent as was the POD stand side linesman. I still can't fathom out why Heneghan was yellow carded, unless I've missed something obvious. A hard barge from behind but just the sort of challenge you see every week sometimes punished sometimes not. I must find out from where the 4th official bought his watch as I certainly want to avoid that brand and shop.

The youngsters came on and proved their worth but I think they are still better off on the bench until they have had more game time. Putting them straight into the team could have backfired spectacularly.

Campbell looks more ready than McLean as shown by McLeans indecisiveness when we broke and he kept running with the ball when he had two better options - was really glad the crowd didn't make a big deal of it as I've no doubt if it had been someone older like Bowman they would have.

By the middle of the season they could be ready to be regular starters but for the moment I'm happy to have them available without putting to much pressure on them.

All in all two very good prospects starting to get valuable game time with others in the wings also getting ready to step up bodes well for us.

• Like 1

Manager got it wrong in the first half. But he changed it and that is the main thing. If that was the last manager we would have been at 70 minutes, with not change, youngsters still on the bench apart from Joe Chalmers getting stripped...

He'll have learned a lot about the team and some players today and I am confident Robinson will take that into account moving forward.

Campbell, Bowman and the change to the back 3 made a huge difference. Tait did amazingly well on the left and Moult looked a bit more like himself in the second half too.

• Like 1

Yesterday was the first league fixture that on paper you'd fully expect us to win (as much as you ever 'expect' Motherwell to win). The fact is we did while missing three first choice players and playing pretty poorly for 45 minutes. On that basis, can't grumble too much..

Bowman and Fisher are both working hard and I get the impression that a league goal for both of them would see them relax a bit and see them start to score more regularly.

I really hoped yesterday that in McHugh's absence that Rose would take more responsibility and show what Robinson sees in him. Sadly I didn't see it. The fact that two young players came on and made more of an impact than him puts more pressure on him.

The much discussed back three approach has one major thing going for it. Dunne, Kipré and Heneghan all look far more comfortable in that shape. I'd argue that Heneghan has had his best performances in a Motherwell shirt in a back three. Whether Robinson has signed players specifically to play this formation or not, it certainly beats McGhee's square peg in round holes approach.

Are there slight concerns over the balance of the team and certain signings? Yes. But on balance, things aren't looking too gloomy. Maybe a solution to the left wing back position is needed (Plummer?) and a slightly different option up front would be good but I reckon we're moving in the right direction...

I think people forget that Robinson is still learning as a manager. I doubt many on here would demand a young player with less than a season under his belt to be the finished article and managers are in the same boat. Even guys like McGhee with 1000 games in management dont get their tactics spot on from the start every week, so I don't expect Robinson, with half a season at Oldham and a few months at Motherwell to either.

• Like 5