Scottish Premiership Game 4: Hearts (H) Saturday 26/08/17

Yabba's Turd

Great effort by the whole team yesterday . Much more height and power in the team compared to last few years and seem much fitter as last few seasons we looked jaded in the second half . Mchugh is a workhorse breaking up play but he needs to be better with his passing . Seems to want to play the difficult pass more than the simple one and that put us in a lot of trouble in rangers and hearts games . Overall much better on the eye this season . Starting to see robinsons stamp on the team now . Looks like height power strength and fitness are his big thing . Don't think we'll get bullied much this season

• Like 2

BBC Sportsound's coverage after the game was shocking it would have rivalled Radio Clyde's old firm biased reporting.

It was really weird, I was driving back from work so I'm listening on DAB which has the Celtic commentary on.

I know that game was running late but when it ended it then switched mid-sentence to them summing up some other game and it then became apparent I'd missed them summarising the Motherwell win,wiz raging. Was like some radio ham had control of Sportsound.

• Like 1

Awarding the goal should really be down to the linesman.

Correct, the ref will always have a straight on view of the goalmouth.

Unless the ball is in the pie stall in the Cooper Stand, the decision will pretty much be in the hands of the linesman who should have a decent side-on view. Don't know if there's any players obscuring his view was there?

Starting to see robinsons stamp on the team now . Looks like height power strength and fitness are his big thing . Don't think we'll get bullied much this season

Yes this is shaping up to be my kind of team. We'll still get bullied physically but only by the top teams. Apart from height, power and fitness I like see a bit of decent football too. The two are by no means mutually exclusive.

Yes this is shaping up to be my kind of team. We'll still get bullied physically but only by the top teams. Apart from height, power and fitness I like see a bit of decent football too. The two are by no means mutually exclusive.

Robinson said as much in his post match interview as well, and intimated that while he was happy with the right and work ethic on display, we needed to do more on the football side.

Still early days, but I'm really impressed by how he's gone about his business so far.

Must say I was thoroughly impressed by the majority of the squad today. Kipre, as mentioned previously, was monumental at the back. Not only getting on the end of everything coming his way, but able to keep the ball after a tackle and distribute. Big Ben has been coming onto a game as well, feel like he's stopped dallying on the ball when in possession and won most of his aerial battles. Carson didn't have that much to do, but was great when called upon. The save in the second half was outstanding, looked for all the world to be going in and breaking hearts.
Rose doesn't stand out at all, but I don't know if he's meant to. His physicality is really useful at times, especially from throw ins. McHugh had a bit of a torrid time it must be said. His misplaced passes have been mentioned already but he was turned a few times and seemed to be a bit unsure if he wanted to get tight to players or back off when challenging. Hopefully it's just a temporary form dip, maybe lacking a bit of confidence from the double yellow in Perth?
Moult and Bowman were certainly a force to be reckoned with. Bowy could've, maybe should've had a couple today, but his work rate and link up play were exceptional, really bring Moult more into the game than Fisher.
All in all a really encouraging performance. Good to go into the break on a high, but can't wait to get back to Fir Park vs Killie. If we keep playing like this could see us challenging for top 6 come April.

Sportscene and sportsound are becoming like radio clyde on a bad day. Driving home Saturday hoping to catch up on what happened around the country and all we got was over 20 minutes wittering about Celtic game and the weekly fawning interview with McInness. Disappointing sadly not surprising their lack of indepth or even reasonable knowledge of the 'diddy' teans

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I used to work the scoreboard some years ago so was at the back of the stand next to the media guys and to be fair Richard Gordon (and Craig Paterson and Murdo McLeod) were nice guys and always happy to chat. I think you maybe right about it being editorial cause previously on the long drive home you got far wider post match coverage

Just seen the highlights and noticed it was Rose who closed down and initially tackled the Hearts player allowing Tait to gain possession and feed Moult for that sublime finish. You can't say its an assist but its the type of thing that does show his value to the team.

• Like 2

Knowing people at BBC Sport who are involved in production of both programmes. It's purely down to the producer what is covered during Sportscene, and Sportsound, for how long and in what order. The pundit's and presenters have some input but not a huge amount of ability to change anything hugely.

• Like 1

Apologise if in the wrong thread, but does anyone think the international break will hinder us this time, as it appears we are improving as each game comes along and let's hope the break does not stop our momentum.

Past seasons we have welcomed the international break to help with our injuries, but this time I would have liked us to keep going, anyway we cannot really complain and I am sure we will manage a good victory against Killie

Apologise if in the wrong thread, but does anyone think the international break will hinder us this time, as it appears we are improving as each game comes along and let's hope the break does not stop our momentum.

Past seasons we have welcomed the international break to help with our injuries, but this time I would have liked us to keep going, anyway we cannot really complain and I am sure we will manage a good victory against Killie

Hopefully we can get a friendly in to keep them ticking over and play in a semi competitive game

Can't stand international breaks. Infact I can't stick international football. However we maybe have a few players carrying small niggles so this should give them time to recover. Also it gives robinson and lasley time on the training ground to work on the small things that the gaffer has been trying to improve on. So all n all I think for once we have a enforced break that could work for us. Also, should we lose any players or bring in any new it gives them time to get to know the others.

• Like 2

Knowing people at BBC Sport who are involved in production of both programmes. It's purely down to the producer what is covered during Sportscene, and Sportsound, for how long and in what order. The pundit's and presenters have some input but not a huge amount of ability to change anything hugely.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Presumably though in the case of Richard Gordon and Willie Miller banging on and on and on about why we should have sold Louis Moult to Aberdeen that would have been the producer's suggestion?

• Like 1

Can't stand international breaks. Infact I can't stick international football. However we maybe have a few players carrying small niggles so this should give them time to recover. Also it gives robinson and lasley time on the training ground to work on the small things that the gaffer has been trying to improve on. So all n all I think for once we have a enforced break that could work for us. Also, should we lose any players or bring in any new it gives them time to get to know the others.

would like to add the fact that we now don't have a manager who is pissing off with the Scotland team and leaving the squad to there own devices.

Watched this game at my daughter's. Presumably it was the producer's decision not to look at the disallowed Moult goal. Very surprising such a controversial decision was not subject to "expert analysis" by Thomson and Stewart. Even football-averse daughter thought Berra was almost hitting the back of the net as he heads it out.

Or would that have highlighted the ineptitude of the match officials? It could easily have cost us points and not for the first time.

And was it just me or did the assistant referee suddenly become eagle-eyed (and hyperactive with his wee flag) after this incident?

I'm probably just being paranoid: out diddy team status with the BBC will explain it all. Would a disallowed OF goal not have been commented on?

Watched this game at my daughter's. Presumably it was the producer's decision not to look at the disallowed Moult goal. Very surprising such a controversial decision was not subject to "expert analysis" by Thomson and Stewart.

The broadcasters be it producers, commentators or pundits wield immense power in these situations. The SFA's Compliance officer and his staff put great store on what is highlighted during games. I too would have thought that this incident would have merited much more attention.

Its not been a great start to the season for us in refereeing terms has it? A cast iron penalty turned down against Rangers; an erroneous red card and penalty awarded against us in Perth; and a cast iron penalty claim turned down and possibly legit goal chalked off on Saturday. All in our first 4 league games. Thats quite some going.

The broadcasters be it producers, commentators or pundits wield immense power in these situations. The SFA's Compliance officer and his staff put great store on what is highlighted during games. I too would have thought that this incident would have merited much more attention.

To be honest, I've watched the BBC footage half a dozen times, including the freeze frame, and between the crappy camera angle and Andy Rose in the way, I still couldn't tell you from that alone whether the whole of the ball was over the whole of the line at the moment he headed it, even though my initial full-speed reaction was that it must've been. So while I'd have expected them to at least have another look at it on the programme, they probably wouldn't have been able to say much other than "I dunno" either, which doesn't make for a riveting discussion.

Rightly or wrongly, the fact that it ultimately didn't affect the result probably bumped it down their priority list, too.

Rightly or wrongly, the fact that it ultimately didn't affect the result probably bumped it down their priority list, too.

^^^^ This. 100% this.

They've got what? a minute or two to blandly discuss the game. Like it or not, the main story is/was managerless Hearts/Daly/Levein. The "ghost goal" might have been over the line, it might not. Had Hearts equalised then it might have been discussed, they didn't though.

From a Motherwell POV it's annoying, from an editorial point of view it wasn't worth devoting much time to.

• Like 1

I think it helps us in either situation. It gives the team some time to rest, train up on the areas that Robinson thinks we're lacking in (footballing style as mentioned above) and maybe get a couple of bounce games in. It'll also give any potential new signings time to bed in after the deadline has passed, as I'm sure we'll be looking at one/two (or maybe three if Louis moves on) new bodies coming in.

As others have said, I really like the way Robinson is setting us up to play - physical and competitive, with good passing and movement going forward. Seems like a level above McGhee and you can really see the benefit of him coming in when he did, his previous relationship with the majority of the players and a full pre-season to bed in his style. The break can only help cement that more and I fully expect us to continue our form in a fortnight.