Scottish Premiership Game 4: Hearts (H) Saturday 26/08/17

Yabba's Turd

I've loathed Hearts since the fabled Alex Macdonald era. Bunch of cynical, hacking, dirty f***kers. Apart from 1991, my finest days as a Well fan was November 1993 when we beat them at Tynecastle, Rab McKinnon lashing a beauty behind Henry Smith. The 6-1 night a Fir Park was also memorable. They maintain the physical, cynical ethos to this day. Hope we do them on Saturday, but our recent record against them ain't great.

• Like 1

Yeah, probably mentioned on here before, but the Hearts team of the late 80's/early 90's is one of the dirtiest I can remember.

Kidd, Whittaker, Black, Sandison, Mckay, Berry, Levein, McKinlay, Galloway...

Then we had the Romanov era later on with all the diving, time-wasting etc (although you did want that team to topple the old firm in fainess).

That FHW patter is tragic. Makes me cringe anytime I read it.

Onto the match, I reckon we can pick something up from this. Hearts will come and open up against us at Fir Park as they will be looking to take 3 points. This gives us an opportunity to create chances, which we need to make sure we convert.

If Frear is fit then he needs to come back into the side, along with McHugh and Carson. Going to be a few tough calls for Robinson to make after the second half performance on Saturday from Campbell and Bowman. Despite his goal at the weekend, I really don't rate Tait as a defender and was having a tough time of it in the first half.

Carson

Kipre Heneghan Dunne

Tait Bigi McHugh Campbell Frear

Cadden

Moult

(Could make a case for dropping Tait, moving Cadden back and starting Bowman).

I reckon it will end 1-1.

Oh dear, I could have been doing without being reminded of that one. Soaked to the skin before even arriving at the ground for a 4-0 defeat. They could play some football but had so many dirty aspects to their play that made them so frustrating and annoying.

Don't even get me started on John Robertson punching the ball into the net.

Yeah, probably mentioned on here before, but the Hearts team of the late 80's/early 90's is one of the dirtiest I can remember.

Kidd, Whittaker, Black, Sandison, Mckay, Berry, Levein, McKinlay, Galloway...

Much the same view as me. Alex MacDonald was a domestic version of Alex Ferguson. There are only 2 rules in football 1) Just do it and 2) Don't get caught. Hearts have always been a physical side but then again so have most of our biggest clubs.

McPherson seemed to get away with murder a lot of the time leading Cusack to finally snap and inevitably get sent off.

Part of a period which has left a lasting hatred of Hearts for supporters of a certain age. Not that I bear a grudge!

I was at that game at Tynecastle, thought it was the esteemed Mr Levein that got Cusack sent off.

Only time in my life I've written to a footballer to say don't worry Nick that arsehole Levein was a disgrace that day getting you sent off.

Bowman was non-exsistant in Perth when he started so I'm not convinced about starting him here.

Would really like Campbell to start, possibly at the expense of Rose, but then Rose was good at Perth.

Decisions, decisions....

Would happily take a draw here.

Bowman was non-exsistant in Perth when he started so I'm not convinced about starting him here.

Would really like Campbell to start, possibly at the expense of Rose, but then Rose was good at Perth.

Decisions, decisions....

Would happily take a draw here.

I see McHugh and Campbell as being basically the same kind of player ie defensive/holding central midfielders although their personal qualities are slightly different. Do we really want to play 2 defensive central midfielders in the same 11? Ok maybe in some particular games but not week in week out. A midfield needs to be a balance of skills and types. I'm not sure about Rose but he is a different type of player to Campbell and McHugh.

I was at that game at Tynecastle, thought it was the esteemed Mr Levein that got Cusack sent off.

Only time in my life I've written to a footballer to say don't worry Nick that arsehole Levein was a disgrace that day getting you sent off.

I thought Cusack got sent off at home as well (at least once) although I'm sure he broke McPherson's nose for one of his red cards.

Back on Saturday's game, I like the look of Campbell but will be surprised if he starts.

Cusack was sent off in his first game against them at Fir Park. That was the one he went for the facial reconstruction stuff. Stevie Kirk or A.N.Other might also have been sent off for us too.

He was then latterly sent off at Tynecastle when Levein and McPherson took it in turns at winding him up before he lost it. If memory serves me right there was a photo that enraged many at the time where Cusack is in the process of being dismissed and McPherson is down on his knees laughing and applauding the referee.

I think Cusack also got another red-card against Airdrie who it would surprise no-one to learn that Alex McDonald had subsequently taken charge of and whose immediate weeks were spent after his appointment recruiting of his most obnoxious former charges like Walter Kidd, Jimmy Sandison and Kenny Black to name but three.

There has been some chat about our current naivety in recent weeks but by God Hearts or more particularly Alex McDonald had done us like a kipper game after game for about three or four seasons. Same tactics, same outcome. We never seemed to learn. Always fell for it and more often than came away with nothing but frustration and hard luck stories. The bastard! :)

• Like 1

Cusack was sent off in his first game against them at Fir Park. That was the one he went for the facial reconstruction stuff. Stevie Kirk or A.N.Other might also have been sent off for us too.

He was then latterly sent off at Tynecastle when Levein and McPherson took it in turns at winding him up before he lost it. If memory serves me right there was a photo that enraged many at the time where Cusack is in the process of being dismissed and McPherson is down on his knees laughing and applauding the referee.

I think Cusack also got another red-card against Airdrie who it would surprise no-one to learn that Alex McDonald had subsequently taken charge of and whose immediate weeks were spent after his appointment recruiting of his most obnoxious former charges like Walter Kidd, Jimmy Sandison and Kenny Black to name but three.

There has been some chat about our current naivety in recent weeks but by God Hearts or more particularly Alex McDonald had done us like a kipper game after game for about three or four seasons. Same tactics, same outcome. We never seemed to learn. Always fell for it and more often than came away with nothing but frustration and hard luck stories. The bastard! :)

And, as I recall Hugh Keevins used to blame us for all the shenanigans. Only time I enjoyed it was when Levein and Hogg started whacking each other.

I've loathed Hearts since the fabled Alex Macdonald era. Bunch of cynical, hacking, dirty f***kers. Apart from 1991, my finest days as a Well fan was November 1993 when we beat them at Tynecastle, Rab McKinnon lashing a beauty behind Henry Smith. The 6-1 night a Fir Park was also memorable. They maintain the physical, cynical ethos to this day. Hope we do them on Saturday, but our recent record against them ain't great.

That game was 15th December 1993, we were on something like 22 games at Tynecastle without a win.

• Like 1

On the actual game this weekend. It's a tough one on how we set up. Carson, McHugh and Frear have to come back in. I'd like to see Campbell start probably, but as mentioned above, it's how we got him in. Could work in a 4-2-3-1, but I'm not convinced with Moult up top or a back 4 over a back 3.

Tait Heneghan Kipre Dunne

Campbell McHugh

Cadden Bigi Frear

Moult

Or, maybe more likely

Carson

Kipre Heneghan Dunne

Tait Cadden McHugh Bigi Frear

Moult Bowman

Plenty of options for once with Fisher, Tanner, Rose, MacLean, Newell or the new striker not in either of those lineups.

On the actual game this weekend. It's a tough one on how we set up. Carson, McHugh and Frear have to come back in. I'd like to see Campbell start probably, but as mentioned above, it's how we got him in. Could work in a 4-2-3-1, but I'm not convinced with Moult up top or a back 4 over a back 3.

I don't think it actually is. Enjoying the flexibility the current squad offers. 3-5-2 or versions thereof is where it's at. Football evolution may be a step too far for some on here though.

I think we have to go 3 at the back, the players don't seem to know what they are doing if we don't.

Only other thing I would like is to see two strikers played. Tanner in behind and effectively playing 3-6-1 is awful and I don't think that suits any of or forwards, nor does the 4-5-1 efforts.

I don't think it actually is. Enjoying the flexibility the current squad offers. 3-5-2 or versions thereof is where it's at. Football evolution may be a step too far for some on here though.

Yeah - don't get me wrong. It's a good thing. I just don't know how I would start out to try and get everyone I want to start in the team!

I think that Tamner is seen as a major player within the squad for Robinson. Whether he is injured or not just now may play a part in whether he starts. But if fit I think he will start.

The Tait injury doesn't sound good at all. We definitely need to get another defender in - hopefully that will happen soon.

My guess is that Campbell won't start but will come on. Interesting to see if moult starts - he's certainly not looked himself. Fisher needs a shot in the middle and not out wide - whether that's as a sub or starter.