Scottish Premiership Game 4: Hearts (H) Saturday 26/08/17

Yabba's Turd

^^^^ This. 100% this.

They've got what? a minute or two to blandly discuss the game. Like it or not, the main story is/was managerless Hearts/Daly/Levein. The "ghost goal" might have been over the line, it might not. Had Hearts equalised then it might have been discussed, they didn't though.

From a Motherwell POV it's annoying, from an editorial point of view it wasn't worth devoting much time to.

This is it.

When I've asked about it before - as it's my mate who does some of the graphics for Sportscene. Basically the producer gives them a running order and how much time each match will get of highlights and then talking about it.

They'll also outline what they want to be talked about and then it's down to the presenter and pundits to sit down and work with whatever time they have left, look at the games and prep the talking points and supporting film/graphics. They also need to take into account number of cameras they have at the game and whether the talking points can actually be talked about properly given camera angles, flow of the game etc.

Not to make excuses for them, but this week they were obviously using the Alba coverage for our game. And as much as I enjoy the Alba coverage - in fact I think it's much better than Sportscene - they don't put as many cameras at the games.

So as far as the "goal" was concerned, there just wasn't any angle available that was worthy of discussion. Plus, as others have said, we won, so it didn't impact the result.

Just watched the highlights of game . That was some save from our keeper at 2-1 . Looks the part .

Another point on Carson, less eye-catching than that that save but with about 3 mins to go a cross comes in and he's out, off his line, on the edge of his 6 yard box to claim the ball with both hands. It makes some difference not having a goalkeeper rooted to his line.

• Like 1

What is the stonewall penalty that keeps getting referred to?

Surely not the handball in the first half?

The defenders arm may not be in a natural position and the ball clearly strikes it, but with him turning his body away from the ball it would be harsh to call that deliverate?

The defenders arm may not be in a natural position and the ball clearly strikes it, but with him turning his body away from the ball it would be harsh to call that deliverate?

Given Lasley had a pen given against him (and was sent off) when a shot that was heading over the bar hit his hand as he's stretching to block in the last minute of the 3-3 against Accies I'd have said a shot that was on target and has been blocked by the defender's two arms is a pretty decent shout for a pen tbh.

• Like 1

The defenders arm was in an "unnatural position" which is a yardstick for making a penalty decision. Given some of the penalties we've conceded in the past few seasons it was a stick on penalty.

The defenders arm was in an "unnatural position" which is a yardstick for making a penalty decision. Given some of the penalties we've conceded in the past few seasons it was a stick on penalty.

Totally forgot that one given against McManus against ICT (the one re-taken for encroachment). He can't even see the ball as it's headed from behind him against his hand.

giphy.gif

The one against Rangers was much more of a penalty to me than the one on Saturday. Didn't expect to be awarded it and in the cases against Lasley and McManus, two (or even three)wrongs don't make a right.

Somewhat ironically I'd have said the Hodson handball was much less of a pen than the one against Hearts at the weekend. Though both, for me, fall squarely into the "seen them given" category.

Its not the only consideration though.....

"HANDLING THE BALL

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:

the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence"

For me the ball is fired towards goal. The defender turns his back to avoid being hit with the ball. It strikes his hand. Hard to call that deliberate.

As others have said, just because we've had them given against us doesnt make it right.

Usual lack of consistency from our referees though.

Didn't La Liga change a couple of years ago that any handball in the box is a penalty ??? Gets rid of all arguments about deliberate, unnatural position of the arm etc. I think the number of penalties dropped as well as players made attempts to get their arms oot the road e.g putting their hands behind their backs. I may be talking bullshit but I'm sure it was discussed on Sky at some length.

I don't really understand the stick Andy Rose is getting.

Prior to Saturday, I just don't see what he offered. I totally get the role he is meant to play but the game can bypass him at times. I am sure it was County at Fir Park where I didn't realise he was still on the pitch for most of the second half.

I don't think he has done anything bad but haven't seen him do anything good either.

I think Rose was in the team to provide exra defensive and offensive height against Hearts as well as doing a lot of grunt work. I rate Campbell highly but he is not exactly tall With the various permutations now available to us I expect to see a horses for courses approach depending on opposition and game circumstances (ie bringing Campbell on to help protect a lead)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Agreed. Indeed, I was talking to a hearts fan yesterday at work and he was aggrieved they didn't get a penalty for the Bowman push in the first half. I guess much of this is about the colour of tint your specs are.

• Like 1

Agreed. Indeed, I was talking to a hearts fan yesterday at work and he was aggrieved they didn't get a penalty for the Bowman push in the first half. I guess much of this is about the colour of tint your specs are.

Aye and he has every right to be aggrieved just as we were in the Rangers game for the push ON Bowman. I get that referees have a difficult job but both were pretty straightforward.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I don't remember this push. Who did he push and when?

I don't remember Bowman pushing anyone but Dunne clearly pushed someone in the first half. I remember it simply because a couple of us were so convinced it was a penalty that we did that massive sigh bracing ourselves for the award...