Scottish Premiership Game 7: Aberdeen (H) Sunday 24/09/17 (12.15)

Yabba's Turd

Bit of perspective needed...yes flat all round and anyone who has played sport will tell you how difficult it is to replicate a peak like Thursday. Disappointed but not too down. Adeen were bound to be up for it and they are second best team in Scotland. We will need to learn and will. We played too many long balls and our best moments were the odd occasion we did get it down. Hartley outstanding, but Kipre showed his inexperience and McHugh was poor in possession yet again. The fact Adeen were so pleased to win shows how far we have come. Onwards and upwards

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Aye. Poor one today, but it was unlikely Aberdeen would be as poor again.

If we can pick ourselves up and get three points against Partick, we'll be in a decent position going into the international break.

Not wanting to get too negative, but Carl McHugh was really, really poor today, and not for the first time this season.

Wondered about out energy after Thursdays match and as it turned out it was a very lethargic display.

We've improved since last season but today highlighted some problems that I've already mentioned this season. In midfield Allan Campbell has continually bailed us out. All our other midfielders just haven't performed well enough or consistently enough. The worst of these has been McHugh who has been flat out poor this season. We need to see big improvement in this area of the park.

Secondly there is our almost total reliance on Louis Moult to score goals. Aberdeen neutralized him today and as a result we never really looked like scoring. Fisher came on today and was a total waste of time again. He has contributed nothing so far.

I also felt we missed Hammell today. As I've said before we desperately miss his delivery and Dunne, while not bad at winning headers, is nowhere near Hammell in terms of quality of ball. We had a lot of corners today and I don't think any of them were any good.

That's us played Rangers, St. Johnstone and Aberdeen in the league and lost them all. Perhaps this result will give us all a bit more perspective. We've improved over last season but there is still a long way to go if we even want to think about Top 6 finishes.

Expected today to pan out as it did with either team nicking a goal to win it. After Thursday it was always going to be a bit flat, both on the park and in the stands, with the shitty early kick off slot adding to the lack of atmosphere.

A few off days, particularly McHugh whose ball retention and pass completion was shocking, and Kipre who was maybe jaded and just showed a wee bit of his inexperience.

All in all disappointing but far from gutted, on to Partick next week and hopefully back to winning ways

That's us played Rangers, St. Johnstone and Aberdeen in the league and lost them all. Perhaps this result will give us all a bit more perspective. We've improved over last season but there is still a long way to go if we even want to think about Top 6 finishes.

Does it? Does it really?

The fact we've taken 4 points out of a possible 6 from Hibs and Hearts should then tell you we are challenging for top 6.

Got what we deserved from that one, the hunger we had on Thursday was gone. Rose gets a hard time on here but I Think we missed him today, does a lot of the thankless work that goes un noticed. When we made the double sub I didn't feel like it was going to make us any better and it didn't, don't rate either of the 2 that came on.

To be fair I thought we deserved a point Aberdeen came with the only plan of breaking up the play and going down at every opportunity, route 1 football from the 1st minute, Carson never had a serious save to make. I felt we were off the pace today but created enough chances to get at least a draw, a better ball in from Frear and Tanner had a tap in. At the end Aberdeen were hanging on big time so a bit gutted we got nothing from the game.

• Like 2

If you want to throw Hibs into the mix that's 1 point from 12.

Hearts were not a Top 6 level team when we played them.

After 7 games we're a top 6 team. That is unarguable. Although I do wish we could draw with Rangers as a bottom 6 side...

Cause we haven't beaten 3 of the top 4 teams does not change that. Hell we could lose all 9 pre-split games against them and easily waltz into the top 6.

From the Aberdeen forum.

"teams like Motherwell, St Johnstone and.... Hearts absolutely destroy any enjoyment from watching a game, reducing it to and endless stream of fouls, headers and long balls.

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us

To see oursels as ithers see us!"

I though Aberdeen got away with lots of fouls today from their Plough Boys and that we deserved a point. Disappointed that more was not made of Frear: he received very little service. I thought Hammell played really well on Thursday and he seems to have lost weight too. He's better at passes and crosses than Dunne and would have brought Frear more into the game.

Unsurprisingly both teams looked a bit leggy today after Thursdays exploits. What I didnt expect was Aberdeen to set up with the sole aim of nullifying our threats and stopping any football being played. That, together with their constant fouling of our players, diving whenever anyone went near them and constant moaning at a very weak referee, certainly served to spoil the game as an entertainment spectacle.

That said, I thought it was a fairly even contest and a draw would probably have been a fair result. With Hindsight, Grimshaw in for Rose to start with instead of Bigi might have evened up the battle that the game ultimately was and subs wise Sid instead of Fisher may have been more productive given how dominant Aberdeen were in the air. Overall Aberdeen are leaving FP after a game they made a shitfest won by a scrappy goal with not much between the teams. I suppose theres a backhanded compliment in there somewhere. Definitely still much room for improvement in our squad and tactically I didnt think Robbo got it quite right at times today but we learn and we move on to next week.

Back to reality. A terrible game but I wasn't really surprised by that. Aberdeen were much improved and battled far better than they did on Thursday. The boy McKenna out muscled our strikers for most of the game and they seemed to have more dig in their team. For periods of the game I thought we did fine, there was just a lack of quality up front creatively from both teams. I thought we missed Rose's running from Thursday. McHugh who is probably one of my favorite players but was really poor, he wanted far too long on the ball and was too slow in possession. Bigi was a bit better but still needs to up the tempo a tad. Don't think we were terrible by any means. The game could have gone either way and I would say we probably warranted a draw. Onwards and upwards

It looked like we missed the physical presence of Andy Rose today. We simply weren't in Aberdeen's faces enough. Bigirmana has looked good coming on later in games when it's stretched. Maybe Grimshaw was the option today?

Fisher, I feel sorry for. When he came on, any football we had been trying to play was abandoned. Kind of reminded me of whenever Duncan Ferguson played for Scotland. Let's just launch the ball at the big man...

• Like 1

Wasn't able to attend today, but watched the game on BT. Have to give credit to Aberdeen more than anything else. They set out with a game plan to draw or nick it and executed it fairly well. The fact that we do have one of the best teams in the country coming to Fir Park happy to take a point does say a lot, but at the same time, it's a but disappointing we weren't able to break them down at all.

They must've got a rollicking last Thursday because they certainly battled a lot harder all over the park and chased down every ball, taking a leaf out of our book.
Felt like Hartley played well and looks like he's comfortable already in the set up. Definitely a danger in the opposition box as well and maybe should've got another goal today. McHugh is toiling in the centre of the park, it's tough to say, but perhaps he was better at the back when he didn't have too much to think about? He seems a bit ponderous now and his passes aren't connecting. For the first time, I think we saw what Rose's impact means to the team. As much as I like Bigi, Rose seems to win a lot of the second balls or harries a little better. I know Bowman has changed a lot of opinions with is form at the start of the season but I still think he and Moult aren't exactly in sync. A couple of Moult's nod ons should be getting pre-empted by Bowy and vice versa. And Moult should definitely have slotted Cadds in for a shot on goal in the first half.
Overall not too deflated. Always going to be a tough match and I look forward to a rematch when we're competing after the split.

• Like 1

However the ref today allowed Aberdeen to physically dominate the game. Let them away with murder for 90 mins but continually pulled us up for everything.

Cant take away from the fact we were poor however.

Pretty much the dominant feature of the game. Aberdeen deserved their win, which was earned off the park today. They came to nullify us and proved that they can outmuscle and outfight us, but maybe not outplay us. The team fought well, but just came up against a bigger more physically side, who wanted the win a bit more than we did and took full advantage of a shocking referee, who looked totally out of his depth. I thought that Hartley was once again MOTM; what a signing he's proving to be. The defence was pretty solid although Kipre looked a bit dilatory at times.

Our midfield didn't function well at all. McHugh didn't play well and Bigirama found the physical side of the game a bit too tough. Campbell fought well but simply met bigger and heavier opponents. I felt sorry for Cadden as he was smothered for much of the game due to our lack of an alternative outball. Felt sorry too for our strikers who were asked to play the wrong kind of game - long high balls against huge opponents.

I think we found it hard physically to replicate Thursday's high work rate and in hindsight more changes were required. Grimshaw should have come in for Rose to give us more fight and aggression. Frear should have replaced Tait to give us another outball, pace and take the heat off Cadden. We made our substituions too late. Robbos a good young manager and he just got it wrong today.

The referee was horrific but I can't find it in me to blame him. He looked totally out of depth and simply not ready to cope with this level of game. Thats 100% the fault of the SFA for appointing him. It was always going to be a tough one to referee after Thursday and he was completely the wrong choice. He allowed himself to be bullied and conned throughout. His performance was characterised by complete inconsistency. If May committed one foul he committed 12. The foul, not given, for a defender throwing Moult out of play was nothing short of earthshattering. Ryan Christie might be a good player but he won no fans with his cheating today - really disappointing.

However I left Fir Park feeling the most optimistic that I have done after a defeat for years. The team tried as hard as they could and can't be faulted for lack of effort. Had we fielded a different starting 11 then I'm confident we would have picked up a draw at the very worst. Its a long time since we could say that.

• Like 1

On Thusday we started fast,scored twice and made Aberdeen play at our pace. Today the first 25 minutes were completely toothless, we had a decent 15 minutes without scoring, they had a decent 15 but did score.

They nullified Bowman by changing to a back four and our lack of creativity beyond hammering it up the park and chasing it hard was on show.

On Thusday we started fast,scored twice and made Aberdeen play at our pace. Today the first 25 minutes were completely toothless, we had a decent 15 minutes without scoring, they had a decent 15 but did score.

They nullified Bowman by changing to a back four and our lack of creativity beyond hammering it up the park and chasing it hard was on show.

Was more of a back 5 than 4 as O'Connor was so deep!

At 1 point they were playing 5-5-0! I agree wi the ref,looked and performed like a wee boy lost.

I take it Aberdeen are 1 of these "Well Coached" teams? The amount of diving and cynical fouls they got away with was incredible.

Never really had an opinion of Christie before, but the last 2 games have shown him to be an angry wee prick wi a chip on his shoulder,prob why Celtic signed him in the first place