Scottish Premiership Game 7: Aberdeen (H) Sunday 24/09/17 (12.15)

Yabba's Turd

They nullified Bowman by changing to a back four and our lack of creativity beyond hammering it up the park and chasing it hard was on show.

We had trouble winning the ball for a good part of the match. Then when we did, we had no creativity as you say. Lumping high balls to our strikers was never going to work, especially as Cadden was outnumbered and snuffed out.

"Never really had an opinion of Christie before, but the last 2 games have shown him to be an angry wee prick wi a chip on his shoulder,prob why Celtic signed him in the first place"

Yes, Shaka. After his lunge on Tait on Thursday, there was a wee voice in my head which said he wasn't like that and that he had just lost the place.

He has ability, but after his general dicking about today, including his fractured skull act, I'm subscribing to your AWP theory.

• Like 2

"Never really had an opinion of Christie before, but the last 2 games have shown him to be an angry wee prick wi a chip on his shoulder,prob why Celtic signed him in the first place"

Yes, Shaka. After his lunge on Tait on Thursday, there was a wee voice in my head which said he wasn't like that and that he had just lost the place.

He has ability, but after his general dicking about today, including his fractured skull act, I'm subscribing to your AWP theory.

Absolutely. Had the referee red carded him on Thursday this may have defused some animosity today but both refs bottled it big time. He acted like a total idiot today and lost my respect. The amount of off the ball nonsense going on today was appalling and not what fans want to see.

On Thusday we started fast,scored twice and made Aberdeen play at our pace. Today the first 25 minutes were completely toothless, we had a decent 15 minutes without scoring, they had a decent 15 but did score.

They nullified Bowman by changing to a back four and our lack of creativity beyond hammering it up the park and chasing it hard was on show.

I think lack of creativity is going to be our achilles heel this season.

Saying that, I think we made the right moves in the transfer market during the summer, and what we have will keep us safe.

It takes 3 or 4 windows to build a squad and we covered our immediate needs.

I remember managers like McLean following the same strategy. It wasn't until he had made us difficult to beat that we brought in guys like Russell, Cooper and Coyne.

On Thusday we started fast,scored twice and made Aberdeen play at our pace. Today the first 25 minutes were completely toothless, we had a decent 15 minutes without scoring, they had a decent 15 but did score.

In a sense, it was unlucky to have to play them twice in a row. They were able to learn their lessons from Thursday and drill it in straight away with the lessons still fresh. Had it been a couple of weeks or longer we could've potentially caught them cold again.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the first half. Not a lot of quality on display, but two teams going at it hammer and tongs. The referee wasn't great at all, but did generally try and let a lot go, which helped the pace of the game in the first 45. Disappointing to lose, as we certainly matched up to Aberdeen, but it felt like the subs killed any momentum we'd built. Why bring on Frear and then resort to lumping the ball high to Fisher, instead of getting it wide? When Frear did get on the ball, he was dangerous, and should have done better with his cut back for Tanner. We definitely missed Rose's physicality and energy, not least at throw-ins, where he always offers an option. Also, that was the worst I've seen Kipre play. Hesitant and some poor decision making. Given his size, it's hard sometimes to remember that he's very young and still learning. I'm sure he'll bounce back next week though.

Still, not too disappointed, as I feel we'll not be in any bother in the league this season, so getting to a cup semi final is huge, and vindicates the decision made to snub Aberdeen's offer for Moult.

I get the feeling that much like Stuart McCall's run ended with a season of playing poorly and scraping results, Aberdeen are in a similar position. They've had a couple of seasons as '"best of the rest", seen their squad dismantled, and are learning that second place doesn't really get you anywhere unless you have the finances to build on it properly.

Delighted to see that Allan Campbell looks to be going from strength to strength. Huge potential there if we handle him properly.

• Like 3

Enjoyed todays game, it was obvious that Aberdeen had a rocket after the Cup game, they came out much more energised and aggressive today, but after the first 15 mins they had ran out of ideas and we more than matched them. Same in the second half, but they got the break of the ball in the box and then proceeded to waste as much time as they could.

Its a complement to us as to how they played. I agree the ref and linesman had the blue tinted glasses on and again although he tried to let the game flow he was penalising us and letting them away with murder, just consistency to both teams would be a pleasant change. Not seen the game back but looked like a stonewall penalty for us denied late on.

• Like 1

I was at today's game and not Thursday. Typical. No paranoi but worried that may b the case.

A hint of negativity about a few posts. Perhaps unsurprising given the high of Thursday and result today. But I enjoyed us match up to the supposedly 2nd best side in the league. There was little in the game today and they got the break when we did not. Very much deserved a draw.

Aberdeen were a big team and very physical. Their defence was very good a we won very little in the air for most of the 2nd half.

Alan Campbell continues to impress in each and every game. McHugh has not lived up to expectations for now and of all the midfielders may find his place in peril given the strength from the bench. Fisher did not add much after he came on but again their defence was strong.

The ref was as per piss poor. Every single game almost these days.

I am disappointed but not downbeat. Over 2 games v 2nd best team we have more than held our own and won the game the mattered most from a number of perspectives including more importantly financially.

We do need to kick on v Partick and maintain/regain our momentum.

Quite a mixture of emotions following the game yesterday.

It was disappointing to lose obviously and I think that disappointment was actually magnified because we've become increasingly accustomed this season to not losing.

I still take a fair bit of heart from the game though. We certainly didn't hit the heights of Thursday but on another day we might easily have got a point many will feel we merited, or even sneaked it as they did.

Whether it was a deliberate tactic to be cautious fully aware that Aberdeen were liable to be flying out the traps I don't know but if it was the case I'd say it was actually handled them pretty well. Apart from a five minute spell where they had a series of corners in quick succession there wasn't a great deal that troubled us and as the half wore we were getting stronger. It was actually quite unfortunate that half-time came when it did as we were building up a wee head of steam and it allowed them to regroup.

The second half went along similar lines for me with the obvious exception being they managed to nudge themselves ahead. And again obvious it as it may seem given we had to chase the game it was encouraging that as we had at the end of the first half, it was us who were doing all the running.

I'm presuming that since it hasn't been referred to much the apparent shove in the box towards the end had little in it although given the officiating the referee didn't strike me as someone who would have been overly keen to give us anything unless it was cast iron and directly in front of him. He appeared to be sucked in by Aberdeen's clever of tactic of highlighting how they were bullied the other night and afforded them considerable leeway in "standing their ground" to the extent where it was something like Considine's fifth or sixth aerial challenge before he *didn't* lead with his elbow. And as for both their full-backs being routinely allowed to steal five and six yards at a throw in unquestioned and then pulling us for it, well that did raise a chuckle. And if you want to be really picky you might also question why three or four days after Grimshaw gets booked half the Aberdeen team are allowed to leave the field to celebrate with their fans.

What I do hope yesterday provides is a good opportunity to reflect and learn from the loss. So clear cut and clinical was Thursday's win that without question that we could no longer operate under the radar or be taken overly lightly. Robinson said he wanted Fir Park to be viewed as a hard place to come, well Aberdeen by the way they set about their business yesterday afforded him that respect. Other teams will have seen how Aberdeen played and the challenge is for Robinson and our generally youthful squad to find a way to deal with that the next time we experience it.

So not too much between us and the favourites to be second on a day where we were far from at our best. It still bodes well.

• Like 7

So not too much between us and the favourites to be second on a day where we were far from at our best. It still bodes well.

It does indeed Andy. It proved we have come a long way since last season but still have a wee way to go before we can match the likes of Aberdeen consistently. Despite the huge difference in budgets I don't think that Aberdeen are any more talented than we are. Where they still have a slight edge is in terms of solidity and physicality.

I think it also proves that you don't have to have megabudgets to recruit well, despite what many posters were saying over the summer. What we still lack, and I'm pretty sure Robbo will address this, is a big battering ram striker or a smaller guy in the Dixie Deans or perhaps Dougie Arnott mould who can successfully compete with the likes of Aberdeen's central defence. Dixie was an amazing header of the ball for his height (5-9) and Dougie would never attempt to beat the likes of McKenna in the air he'd just stand on their toes or kick their ankles.

Quite a mixture of emotions following the game yesterday.

It was disappointing to lose obviously and I think that disappointment was actually magnified because we've become increasingly accustomed this season to not losing.

I still take a fair bit of heart from the game though. We certainly didn't hit the heights of Thursday but on another day we might easily have got a point many will feel we merited, or even sneaked it as they did.

Whether it was a deliberate tactic to be cautious fully aware that Aberdeen were liable to be flying out the traps I don't know but if it was the case I'd say it was actually handled them pretty well. Apart from a five minute spell where they had a series of corners in quick succession there wasn't a great deal that troubled us and as the half wore we were getting stronger. It was actually quite unfortunate that half-time came when it did as we were building up a wee head of steam and it allowed them to regroup.

The second half went along similar lines for me with the obvious exception being they managed to nudge themselves ahead. And again obvious it as it may seem given we had to chase the game it was encouraging that as we had at the end of the first half, it was us who were doing all the running.

I'm presuming that since it hasn't been referred to much the apparent shove in the box towards the end had little in it although given the officiating the referee didn't strike me as someone who would have been overly keen to give us anything unless it was cast iron and directly in front of him. He appeared to be sucked in by Aberdeen's clever of tactic of highlighting how they were bullied the other night and afforded them considerable leeway in "standing their ground" to the extent where it was something like Considine's fifth or sixth aerial challenge before he *didn't* lead with his elbow. And as for both their full-backs being routinely allowed to steal five and six yards at a throw in unquestioned and then pulling us for it, well that did raise a chuckle. And if you want to be really picky you might also question why three or four days after Grimshaw gets booked half the Aberdeen team are allowed to leave the field to celebrate with their fans.

What I do hope yesterday provides is a good opportunity to reflect and learn from the loss. So clear cut and clinical was Thursday's win that without question that we could no longer operate under the radar or be taken overly lightly. Robinson said he wanted Fir Park to be viewed as a hard place to come, well Aberdeen by the way they set about their business yesterday afforded him that respect. Other teams will have seen how Aberdeen played and the challenge is for Robinson and our generally youthful squad to find a way to deal with that the next time we experience it.

Spot on as always Andy.

I thought Moults claim for a pen towards the end was pretty decent. The 2 defenders either side sandwiched him and put him to the ground stopping him challenge for the ball.

However, there were a number of challenges earlier in the game where he was throwing himself to the ground that the ref quite rightly waved away so maybe influenced the refs decision.

He needs to stop this as he will get a reputation with referees and it wont help us.

The fact that several Aberdeen players were doing the same thing and being awarded free kicks is gauling but irrelevant.

Seldom have I seen a team come to Fir Park with the sole intention of 'parking the bus', in such a blatant fashion. The cynic in me would have a go at Aberdeen and their manager for their tactics, which ultimately revolved around no more than, stifling and suffocating the life out of the match, however the realist in me wasn't surprised to see them go with 3 centre-halves, another one at left-back, Greg Tansey drafted in for more height and a defensive minded partner in Shinnie beside him, with Stevie May up front all on his own. They were absolutely pummeled, and pulverised on Thursday and the same would have happened again on Sunday if they had allowed us to play our game...so fair play to Mcinnes for changing his tactics, getting a break in our box and then shutting up shop even further, by withdrawing May and slinging on another defender and also introducing Rooney for Christie and playing him camped in his own box.

We looked fatigued as well in my opinion, with both our strikers running on empty early in the second half. We should have shuffled the pack just to keep Aberdeen thinking a wee bit, maybe gone 1 up front with someone supporting from deep, started with Frear instead of Tait to give us a better balance and a different outball to Cadden.

All that said, I think we were still the better side, plenty of the ball, but virtually no end product and not enough guile to pass through the defensive wall that Aberdeen built.

I see Fisher, is taking a wee bit of flak at the moment, and yes he was poor when he came on but he's in the same boat that Bowman was in last season, getting 10mins here and there if he is lucky. Any player needs a run of games before he can be judged, unfortunately for him, Bowman and Moult have the strikers positions nailed down just now. The same goes for Bigirimana, I've yet to see why those at the Club were so excited to get this guy signed up, but I'm prepared to give him time to find his feet and nail down a position in the team...hes a completely different type of central midfielder to all of the other guys, so hopefully he'll be of use to us over the course of the season.

• Like 1

I think Bigi looks as if he is a decent player and as stated different to what we have. I kinda feel though that when he gets the ball he slows the game down looking for that killer pass. Unfortunately in our league you dont always get that luxury so he hasnt been able to shine. He needs to get his head around that and tailor his game a little bit if he is gonna earn himself a run of games.

I think we need to be patient with players. A lot of the time too many are far too quick to judge players. Bowman a prime example of someone that has worked his backside off and has reaped the rewards. Fisher and Bigi deserve time. I haven't been overly impressed with Dunne and I feel Frear can do a lot better but I don't criticise them as they are doing their best. Those that remember big Buff Martin will know he was poor the first few months then became a legend. COYW!!!!

I actually like the fact the Bigi slows the game down. We have needed someone who can put his foot on the ball and look for a pass.

Of course, like was said, he will need to get used to the style and speed of our game - but if he does, he could be a great asset.

I think we need to be patient with players. A lot of the time too many are far too quick to judge players. Bowman a prime example of someone that has worked his backside off and has reaped the rewards. Fisher and Bigi deserve time. I haven't been overly impressed with Dunne and I feel Frear can do a lot better but I don't criticise them as they are doing their best. Those that remember big Buff Martin will know he was poor the first few months then became a legend. COYW!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly. Long time supporter of Bowman and really pleased to be proved right on that one. Id like to see Bigi being played further forward where his passing could play Moult and Bowman into scoring positions but that doesnt look like our gameplan at moment. Its very much a work in progress at the moment. Really looking forward to finding out how good this team can be once its had a chance to gel properly.

Re Buff Martin, my recollection is we bought him as a midfielder and he sucked there! It wasnt until he was moved back to centre half that he found his feet and his best position.

• Like 1