2018 Season Swpl 2

seasonal

Below is my list of players at the end of the 2017 season. Some Retirals and Leavers are known to me. Eddie will have a major rebuilding job on his hands.

GK

Sarah Rhind
Lauren McGregor
Defender
Tasha Brown - Left to join Army.
Heather Magill
Niamh Johnson
Megan Murray
Midfield
Stacey Cook - Retired
Mandy Burns - Retired
Lauren Kerr
Caitlin Canavan
Sophie Gallacher - Injured
Lauryn Reside
Nicole Goodwin
Forward
Suzanne Winters - Retired
Pamela Liddell - Retired

30th November was the run out date for player contracts for 2017. Looking forward to see what elite standard players Eddie will bring to the Ladies team. Not clear to me yet what structures and resources are being provided to support the Ladies, that in itself will be very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't watch the highlights went fast forward to half time.

Eddie was mainly speaking about himself and his health. He is still mentally as sharp as a pin and is going to USA in January for some new treatment which is basically 2 injections, results on other stroke survivors have resulted in some gaining 100 per cent improvement and others having less but significant improvements. Also highlighted barriers and perception of having a disabled coach in the technical area. Made it very clear that a work life balance is essential in football and he will be giving more time to his family. Wants to work at the highest level and believes Motherwell can get there with a lot of hard work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been toiling with a torn calf muscle so did not make the effort yesterday to Hibs Training Centre for the first pre season friendly against Hibs Development. Very windy conditions but Motherwell won 4-1. See @@Motherwelllfc twitter for a you tube of the goals. Kerry Montgomery x1, Trialist x1, Trialist x2.

Other news: @MotherwellLFC twitter has been excellent recently with signing news and post match comments. All part of the new strategy bringing the Ladies team directly in to the club framework.

New signings include Kerry Montgomery from Celtic, a NI international and a terrific addition. Clare Johnstone (GK) out of retirement but a sound and experienced keeper. Emma Black, defender, again out of retirement but was a Glasgow City regular. Ash Nicholson, previously with Spartans. More signings to be announced this week. From last season I know there are 4 or 5 players who I believe have signed up but no formal announcements as yet.

8 teams making up the SWPL 2 again with 1 promotion place up for grabs. Likely to be a very tight league with no weak teams. Eddie Wolecki Black (EWB) is putting together a team to challenge at the top of this league. The league fixtures are out and just awaiting the league cup draw. Fixtures at SWPL site. First fixture is at newly promoted Kilmarnock 11 February.

Interesting times as Motherwell rebuild their team.

All views my own. @@ALR57

• Like 1

Another pair of quality signings with SWPL1 experience. Stephanie Knox from Celtic and Sammy Hare from Stirling Uni. Couple more new signings still to be announced together with those who have been re-signed from last season. Expect a full squad list towards the end of the month. No confirmed friendlies as yet to complete the pre season before the opener on 11 February at Kilmarnock.

@@ALR57

• 2 weeks later...

Season starts on 11 February. Motherwell LFC are away to FC Kilmarnock.

I got along to a pre season friendly yesterday, against Falkirk FC who play in SWFL1. Wind and rain did not help the match but good effort from both teams. 0-5 win for Motherwell. EWB has made some terrific signings for the season ahead. I am sure we will be a team that is competitive at the top end of the league. We looked well organised and wanted to play football. It was pre season so don't want to pick out any stars but there is no doubting the quality of the new signings.

Very pleased to see from last season, Sarah Rhind(GK),Niamh Johnston,Heather Magill, Lauren Kerr, Kaitlin Canavan,Nicole Goodwin and Lauren Reside all returning. By my reckoning we currently have a squad of about 16 players so will be expecting a few more players to come in. Trialist that scored on sunday is coming on a season long loan from Hibs.

@ALR57

Some players retired/moved on in 2015, again in 2016 5 or 6 moved on and 2017 saw a few retiring from playing or moving on. This season there are about 8 who have been signed up by EWB from last seasons team.

You can expect to see details of players/fixtures on a dedicated page on the Motherwell FC website in the very near future

Last season did not finish well for the Ladies team in terms of organisation and support to the team. It is to the credit of a number of senior players who held the team together to complete the season. Credit also to John and Ally who helped out with the team.

This season has seen the team move from the community trust to the main club. Credit to Alan Burrows he has a vision for this team to play at the highest level. The appointment of EWB is a huge statement of intent. The signing of a number of top quality players will ensure that Motherwell are competitive at the top of SWPL 2 and aiming for promotion. I believe the support from the club will be to fully support EWB to get this team as competitive as possible. SWPL2 will be a tough league to gain promotion from.

I have thoroughly enjoyed following this team and will continue to do so. Get along to some games if you can.

That was a very good opening day win at FC Kilmarnock 1-2. Weather before and a few times during the game was terrible. Surface was snow covered for most of the first half. Credit to players of both teams for a very competitive game.

The game played out as i thought it might. FCK , newly promoted, did not want to get a hammering from an experienced Motherwell. Their play reflected that and most of the game saw there defenders, midfield and even forwards just punt the ball up the park at every opportunity. Motherwell were in control for the whole game but FCK were up for it and it was a good competitive game. The first goal game from an o.g header but Motherwell creating some good passing going forward with a good few chances created.

2nd half and again Motherwell creating a lot without an end product. FCK scored from a free kick outside the box and a good strike under the bar evaded the efforts of Claire Johnstone. Motherwell again continued to dominate and with a well struck free kick from Hayley Cunningham deflected off a defender Motherwell took a deserved lead again and the win.

EWB has gathered a well experienced group of players who are still getting to know each others game. EWB i am sure will be still working on best selection/formation but lots of positives going forward. Next 4 weeks likely to be very important with 3 home league games and Rangers away in the Cup. Lots to look forward to. Next sunday home game v EUHV.

• Like 1