2018 Season Swpl 2

seasonal

FCK , newly promoted, did not want to get a hammering from an experienced Motherwell.

You obviously think that Kilmarnock were very wary of us before a ball was kicked in anger, and you're probably right. Very early days of course but do you think the team is capable of winning of the league and earning promotion?

No question that FCK were very wary of the reputation of some of the Motherwell players. Having a team of very good players requires the coach to get them playing as a team, players in their best position and goals getting scored. That is only twice I have seen this Motherwell this year, and the signs are good. Strong all over the pitch with an excellent coach. IMO we are very likely to be right up there for promotion. We have Rangers in the SWPL cup away which is likely to be a tough game. It will be an interesting season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First home game of the season saw Motherwell run out convincing winners 8-0. 6(six) from Suzanne Mulvey makes her the top goalscorer in the League. Full match report and video highlights on the Official site.

Ladies home games will normally now be played at Braidhurst HS with a 1430 ko. Toilet facilities and cafe normally available on site.

Motherwell were sitting top of the table with 6 points after 2 league games. However, following a complaint being made, it was found that Motherwell had infringed the rule on submitting team lines before the game, of the first game away to FC Kilmarnock. Therefore have been fined 50 pounds and 3 points deducted and awarded to Kilmarnock. A brief statement is on the SWF website so this is in the public domain.

In my view this was a simple, but avoidable, error from our new staff team. It has happened at the start of the season so hopefully will not be repeated. This does take away anything from EWB, his staff or the players who are playing well and have an excellent team spirit. If you wish to see a good footballing Motherwell side then get along to some games. Motherwell have ambitions to win this league and have the quality players to do so.

This coming Sunday the team are away to Rangers at New Tinto Park at 1400hrs. This will be a good challenge against a SWPL1 side. This cup is drawn so that SWPL1 teams play SWPL2 sides in the first round  last season, all SWPL1 sides won in the first round !!. I still have no idea as to the rationale behind this seeding.

All views are my own @ALR57

28 minutes ago, seasonal said:

Motherwell were sitting top of the table with 6 points after 2 league games. However, following a complaint being made, it was found that Motherwell had infringed the rule on submitting team lines before the game, of the first game away to FC Kilmarnock. Therefore have been fined 50 pounds and 3 points deducted and awarded to Kilmarnock. A brief statement is on the SWF website so this is in the public domain.

An admin error yes but the punishment seems a bit harsh.  I wonder who or which team made the complaint?  It seems Kilmarnock were also awarded a 3-0 win, which of course affects goal difference.  No doubt it will fire up the team for the future campaign.

Motherwell suffered a 1-0 defeat to Rangers WFC this afternoon in the SWPL Cup. As per last year all SWPL1 sides defeated their SWPL 2 opponents, so still not sure why the cup is seeded in this way.

I thought it was a very even and enjoyable match. Motherwell nearly  got an early lead in the first minute when a shot came off the post. Fairly even until the 82nd minute when a Rangers shot went through the defence. Motherwell applied the pressure in the last few minutes with a Rangers defender sent off for a last man challenge.in the last minute.

Shows that Motherwell are right up at the standard of SWPL1 and will rightly be candidates for promotion.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like an exciting time to get promotion in to the top league.

SWNT qualifying for the FIFA WWC in 2019.

BBC ALBA going to be televising a number of SWPL league games and the SSE Scottish Cup Final.

This is all likely to attract sponsorship to the women's game at long last. This ties in with SWPL league criteria for next season to improve the fan experience at SWPL matches. I hope those at the top of the club have the ambition to put the resources and finance in place for a competitive team in the top league. All the players from the last 4 seasons deserve that as does the new Head Coach Donald Jennow.

Interesting times ahead.

• 1 month later...

Was at the semi final today, it looked like a younger fitter team against an older more experienced team and we did well to get the win, interesting that each goal was a ball into the box from the right.  I thought that we were a bit short in midfield, many of the free balls falling to Spartans girls and a willingness to play the ball back into the pack rather than to isolate someone out wide.  However the overall performance was great, I guess Hibs may be a game too far but more importantly how are we going to shake things up for the league next year, are there youngsters coming through or is there a recruitment drive needed?

The Final will be played at Firhill on Sunday 4 November 1610hrs and broadcast on BBC ALBA..

Agree with all of ropy comments above. There were periods of the game especially second half when we were passing the ball to spartans and every clearance went to Spartans. Spartans are a good young side with a fair few age group internationalists and they had a good few chances to score in the first half.. They train 4 nights a week. Motherwell train 3.  Katey Turner had her debut today after signing recently so the rebuilding and improvement has begun. This has been and incredible season for a team that Eddie W-B created with at least half the team coming out of retirement to play for him. very pleased to see him there today and overjoyed with the Motherwell win. The players have been tremendous and deserve great credit and I look forward to seeing them  at their Awards night.

• Like 1