Club Statement

Modernist

Now got Celtic fans claiming monkey chants aimed at Sinclair as well. Thats a new one.

Absolutely no shame.

While some of the behaviour of our fans was bang out of order, Id like to think anything like that, if any truth in it, was pretty isolated.

It does seem like attempts to trump up the charges against us...

I don't think anything the club have said in the statement is incorrect but what it has done has provided a shed load of new ammunition for the moon howlers. Witness some of the responses to the tweet.

It has been touched upon on several occasions since Sunday but the actions and responses of Celtic and their fans give a deep view into the psyche and mindset of them.

They are a club and a support that from their very existence have traded upon being downtrodden persecuted victims.

They have won European trophies (though they don't like to talk about it...), literally dozens of titles and cups but they can't operate at full pelt without a grievance. Be it the media, Rangers, referees, accusations of sectarianism you choose your topic they have thousands holding a masters degree in whataboutery ready and willing to counter with the most blinkered responses you could dare imagine.

They are close to seventy games unbeaten, have won however many trophies in succession with a second successive treble more than a strong possibility.

Yet so desperate they are to be outraged or get a whiff of victimisation that they couldn't even take the time to enjoy a League Cup victory before getting themselves into a frenzy because Motherwell fans had the temerity to question blatant cheating.

Last night has provided more of the same with the added hook for them now their support has attracted inferred criticism. And we know how they lap up that utterly ridiculous self proclaimed pedestal they put themselves on as being the best fans in the world. This could could not go uncontested by them.

I thought our stance as I saw it this morning was restrained and measured. Ask questions, seek clarification but done so in a fairly classy manner.

I think we might well have been better served continuing in the same vein, albeit offering an explanation to our support of the whys and why nots.

Whilst our statement is far from Traynor penned delusional rant in the knowledge that Celtic are a club and support that thrive on having a cause, a claim or a vendetta to rally behind I fear we've allowed them to turn their focus directly on us and our people inside Fir Park may well have to show the steel and backbone that some posters were accusing them of lacking in posts following last night.

That is spot up.

Superb!

I dont think any statement should have been released just opens a can of worms. I have followed the well since my dad first took me in the late 60's the game has moved on and with three young kids I don't get along to games as much as I used to. I was totally embarrassed by the paedo chants from some of the Motherwell fans at the final I had to ask a woman to be careful what she was saying as my kids were sitting with me and I was cringing as I was in the section right next to the celtic fans. I don't care what they sing we cannot resort to this type of stuff to get back. Sing Motherwell songs ( and there are a lot more now) and back our team.

• Like 1

Club fucked if they do, fucked if they don't.

I didn't see any coins go the way of Brown but I certainly did see pie crusts. All that did was give them a pivot to take the conversation away from their antics. So for that reason plus its a bit stupid to do, some of our support created a rod for our own backs.

Would the significant damage to the stadium been highlighted otherwise? I take it Celtic's safety officer walks through their stands and confirms that they are suitable. After the Friday night game where they wrecked the South, I trust all damage is settled by the visiting club?

That's said we'll probably be given a do-ing on Saturday and they'll revel in their little green world.

Surely no one is thick enough to think this is the first statement?

Celtic have put statements about both games via the manager, assistant manager and several players. They've been putting out statements since we won the semi.

The SFA put a statement out that Sinclair didn't dive and we're waiting on another inevitable statement from them that McGregor didn't dive.

Why would any Motherwell fan have a problem with our club correcting public lies about their employees? Mystifying

• Like 2

Surely no one is thick enough to think this is the first statement?

Celtic have put statements about both games via the manager, assistant manager and several players. They've been putting out statements since we won the semi.

The SFA put a statement out that Sinclair didn't dive and we're waiting on another inevitable statement from them that McGregor didn't dive.

Why would any Motherwell fan have a problem with our club correcting public lies about their employees? Mystifying

Why would anybody other than their own fans believe them or, quite frankly, give a shit what the club says?

The only reason you think they correct lies is because you already believe there were lies to correct. So nothing gained there.

The people who think we are greetin' will still think we are greetin'. So nothing gained there.

The SFA and SPFL aren't going to suddenly have their Damascene moment and start treating us as well as the OF. So nothing gained there.

All the while losing the high ground inch by inch.

The club's statement raises some interesting issues. I note that there's no mention, none whatsoever, about items being thrown onto our fans from above on Sunday. Do we take it from that, that it never happened / no-one reported it to the club / the club just didn't mention it.

The club writing to the SFA about refereeing is very interesting indeed, as is Stewart Gilmour's comments on Twitter i.e. don't expect any official answers on referees or refereeing standards. Now lets go back to basics here. we are constantly told that the SFA is not an independent body on its own. It is "owned" by 42 individual members, the clubs. It serves only to represent them. Basically it does what they instruct it to do. Stewart Regan etc are merely de facto employees of the member clubs. Now from Gilmour's comments it seems like the refereeing section, run by a John Fleming, is very secretive even to the members/employers and will not divulge much information about its activities. Thats neither good enough nor acceptable in my opinion and Steart Regan and those below him should be taken to task and reminded of their position. It all seems like an episode of Yes Minister where the owners/employers i.e. the elected officials are subservient to the civil servants.

I'm neither Nay or Yay on the statement what I am more for is the reason its been released. I think and this is just me is that its to put the pressure firmly back of Motherwell and onto those in charge. Rangers and Celtic both heaped pressure on the Officials even before a Cup Final ball was kicked with the press meekly following along. That was a bitter pill but after the decision at Fir Park I feel the club have to now look at the Elephant in the room. Rodgers has been very vocal about his poor players and how every decision given was right as long as its not against them.

By releasing a statement and shoving it right into the lime light it says were not happy and you're conning the fans who have increased in size hoping for good football instead they are being cheated. It also says I DARE you to go ahead and do it again at Celtic Park. Hopefully this wee bit of pressure will prevent it happening a third time.

• Like 1

I think Burrows has played a blinder with a few of his replies to the seethe on Twitter. Along the lines of "we didn't want to mention the fact your trashed our stadium, but since Brown threw accusations we have been hounded for a response from media".

The denial from Celtic fans is truly embarrassing, with many now struggling for a retort to their well document behaviour above 'Well fans on Sunday and now claims that they have trashed our stand, again. Many have resorted to calling out "racists monkey chants" at Scott Sinclair without any foundation.

I also hope the club also releases images of the damage to the stadium. Staring in the face of 100% irrefutable proof, be amusing to see how they react. Also think results of any investigation into unacceptable behaviour in our end should be well documented to show we as a club follow due process, unlike some.

Following this statement we has a chance to truly take the moral high ground above Celtic and conduct ourselves in a befitting manner. Accept blame where due, but turn spotlight on guilty where applicable and see if their club acts accordingly.

Will absolutely rile "the best fans in the world", but it is a can of worms they have opened.

• Like 2

Woke up this morning to see this statement, and have to say that I'm happy that the club have at least said their bit and not just remained silent in the face of all the shit that's being thrown at them.

So, much respect to the club, and to Alan Burrows for taking that step.

Even if fuck all comes of it, we've at least shown that we're not mugs and that we'll stand our ground.

Over the past few years Rangers fans have headed the top of my shit list due to all the crap with them.

However the recent two games with Celtic have actually brought back to me how odious, vile, disgusts my their fans are. With the invincible mantra and a manager who plays them like the Pied Piper with the likes of Brown and Griffiths in the squad they really are a horrible horrible horde of scum.

The comments on the Statement thread are quite astounding.

• Like 1

Once again Robinson , and Campbell as well handled press superbly and ignored all attempts by press to reply to comments from Celtic especially Brown .We had to make statement after Browns comments and we did so in a professional manner .To me the last week has shown how unprofessional Celtic have been with Manager and Captain moaning about everything to do with other clubs ,I am very pleased we have kept our dignity and not got involved. They then wonder how opposing fans want them pumped in Europe and I for 1 hope they get papped out at 1st hurdle come europa league and stuff our coefficient as had enough of the moaning gits

• Like 3

I'm very concerned at Robbo's statement that he doesn't expect that we'll get a reply to our letter to John Fleming of the SFA. This echoes Stewart Gilmour's comment on Twitter. I'm not sure what Robbo meant by that. Does he mean that we won't even receive a reply to acknowledge our letter or does he mean that we'll receive a meaningless response or one full of gobbledegook along the lines of "Thank you for your letter.....Comments noted". Anyway enough of semantics.

As a member club and indirectly an employer of John Fleming and his colleagues we should be entitled to a meaningful response and one which details exactly why our employees and club were disciplined. We, the paying public should also be made aware of the details. Football is a spectator sport after all. If we do not recieve a satisfactory explanation or indeed one at all, then we should escalate the "query", maybe by this time a complaint, to a higher level until we receive a satisfactory reply. If this means writing to Stewart Regan or ultimately his employers, the SFA Board, then so be it. Its time to challenge the very foundations of this primordial institution.

The club's statement raises some interesting issues. I note that there's no mention, none whatsoever, about items being thrown onto our fans from above on Sunday. Do we take it from that, that it never happened / no-one reported it to the club / the club just didn't mention it.

It was reported directly to Alan Burrows on Twitter, asking for clarification as to who released the seats above the Motherwell supporters.

I also reported it directly to two police officers standing next to me after friends had coins thrown at them and I was (successfully, might I had) spat on.

• Like 1

It was reported directly to Alan Burrows on Twitter, asking for clarification as to who released the seats above the Motherwell supporters.

I also reported it directly to two police officers standing next to me after friends had coins thrown at them and I was (successfully, might I had) spat on.

Good on you. What was the reaction of the police officers?

did any one hear about the craig Gordon incident at the 1-1 game at fp

an old retired teacher friend of mines 12 years old grandson was a ball boy that night , and when we were winning 1-0 he er lets say didn't exactly throw the ball back quick enough in the right direction to Gordon who then proceeded to give him a total sweary word dressing down to which some people witnessed and told the police and as far I I know nothing has been done by them , being a retired teacher he then sent 2 nice emails one to us and another to smellic and they sent him one back saying that the matter will be delt with " ? "as far as I know our email is being looked at

just thought I would mention this as its another shitey thing there club gets off with

did any one hear about the craig Gordon incident at the 1-1 game at fp

an old retired teacher friend of mines 12 years old grandson was a ball boy that night , and when we were winning 1-0 he er lets say didn't exactly throw the ball back quick enough in the right direction to Gordon who then proceeded to give him a total sweary word dressing down to which some people witnessed and told the police and as far I I know nothing has been done by them , being a retired teacher he then sent 2 nice emails one to us and another to smellic and they sent him one back saying that the matter will be delt with " ? "as far as I know our email is being looked at

just thought I would mention this as its another shitey thing there club gets off with

Saw that from the cooper. Didn't realise it was a kid he was having a go at.

Good on you. What was the reaction of the police officers?

Initially it was to glare at us for shouting a few choice words as they blanked us for a few minutes and then they saw a few more coins and spit land nearby and they set off to what I assume was upstairs.