Club Statement

Modernist

I think its well known that ball boys take flack from players. You dont have to look far to find footage of Joe Hart berating a ball boy, Hazards famous boot to the ribs of a ball boy is a personal favourite of mine. He looked like an U23s player anyway. Cant imagine Celtic even bringing it up to Gordon because its a non-event.

I think its well known that ball boys take flack from players. You dont have to look far to find footage of Joe Hart berating a ball boy, Hazards famous boot to the ribs of a ball boy is a personal favourite of mine. He looked like an U23s player anyway. Cant imagine Celtic even bringing it up to Gordon because its a non-event.

It depends on how the comment was expressed. Oathing and swearing isn't on. A rebuke along the lines of "Come on hurry up son" would be perfectly acceptable but I suspect somehow we're not talking about that.

No doubt that was a pen, the stupidity of Lovern deserved to be punished.

Stupidity isn't an offence.

There was no foul committed.

If it has got to the stage where any contact by a defender in the box is a foul, they might as well not even bother challenging.

• Like 1

^ agreed, he's literally placed a hand on him. That's not a penalty and if it is the ball is burst.

What annoys me also is guys like Alan Smith and Gary Neville have the opportunity to immediately criticise it today but instead both just say that the defender is naive because he knows what the forward will do.

^ agreed, he's literally placed a hand on him. That's not a penalty and if it is the ball is burst.

What annoys me also is guys like Alan Smith and Gary Neville have the opportunity to immediately criticise it today but instead both just say that the defender is naive because he knows what the forward will do.

Agreed but its the way the game has gone. When listening to various pundits reviewing such decisions, the consensus seems to be if a defender gives the referee a decision to make, then he is entitled to award a soft pen.

Agreed but its the way the game has gone. When listening to various pundits reviewing such decisions, the consensus seems to be if a defender gives the referee a decision to make, then he is entitled to award a soft pen.

Football is a contact sport so there can be all the contact you like in the box but if no foul and / or offence is committed then it's not a penalty. So the 1st and only decision the ref needs to make is has an offence been committed, if so then award the pen, but as we have seen in recent weeks they frequently make a James Hunt of it.