Three Football Clubs 'shamed' For Underpaying Staff

Toxteth O'Grady

It's actually quite simple.

As a fan owned club we should be leading the way within the community and be signing up to become an 'Accredited' Living Wage employer.

Yes or No ?

Of course.

That's separate from admin errors though. People could still be underpaid by mistake.

• Like 1

How do you know the club isn't already doing that?

Hearts are the only club who pay the Living Wage to employees. Celtic pay above minimum wage but not Living Wage. Stop the whataboutery. It's a red neck that our club, who plays on our Industrial past, won't pay workers the going rate for the job.

Stop the whataboutery. It's a red neck that our club, who plays on our Industrial past, won't pay workers the going rate for the job.

So, you're saying that the club's statement citing an administrative error is not true and it wasn't the case that the club didn't pay the legal rate ie through a mistake but that it deliberately chose not to? Do you know this for certain?

So, you're saying that the club's statement citing an administrative error is not true and it wasn't the case that the club didn't pay the legal rate ie through a mistake but that it deliberately chose not to? Do you know this for certain?

You're nuts bud. Let's ignore the fact that Motherwell wont pay employees the living wage instead choosing to pay the minimum legally allowed.

Lets get the facts first before drawing conclusions and agree also to disagree civilly.

I think you're missing his point. You are saying we shouldn't assume the club has done anything wrong as the underpayment may have just been an admin error as the club claim. Modernist is saying that's completely irrelevant as what the club have done wrong is paying anyone as low as minimum wage in the first place.

• Like 5

I think you're missing his point. You are saying we shouldn't assume the club has done anything wrong as the underpayment may have just been an admin error as the club claim. Modernist is saying that's completely irrelevant as what the club have done wrong is paying anyone as low as minimum wage in the first place.

Which is a valid but completely different discussion

It's actually quite simple.

As a fan owned club we should be leading the way within the community and be signing up to become an 'Accredited' Living Wage employer.

Yes or No ?

100% Yes. I guess I'm naive for assuming it already was paid. This should surely be high on the list of the Well Society agenda.

Regarding the "admin error", I'm not at all surprised. We undoubtedly have employees doubling-up (at least) on responsibilities, a lot of which will be outwith their core area of expertise. So we will have, say an Accountant, who picks up (and drops) HR issues. However unfortunate this is, it would be extremely unlikely that any of the the senior figures / playing staff would be adversely affected with regards to payment. Smallest wage / smallest voice...

The club's still a bit amateurish in many areas, but hopefully improving.

As much as there's been comment surrounding the issues being minimum wage staff getting underpaid, I've heard from a few Falkirk fans that their involvement in this revolves around Will Vaulks playing for digs when he first arrived at TFS.

As much as there's been comment surrounding the issues being minimum wage staff getting underpaid, I've heard from a few Falkirk fans that their involvement in this revolves around Will Vaulks playing for digs when he first arrived at TFS.

Information is our issue wasn't too far from that.

Are Hearts (and possibly now Celtic?) not the only team in the league committed to the living wage at present?

This isn't entirely true.

Certainly Hearts (And possibly Celtic) may be the only ones signed up, but Hibs, for example, had a local councillor getting incredibly chippy at them before Dempster slapped him down;

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/hibs-fire-back-at-snp-councillor-over-living-wage-petition-1-4039034

Essentially; Aye they do it, but they haven't been accredited, which seems fair enough?

For us? I dunno whether we do. I'd hope so for the reasons mentioned.

It's one thing saying you pay all your employees a certain wage but if you are outsourcing jobs to contractors who don't it means very little.

Anyone who heard Dempster making the case for the 14 league team with the crazy three way split will know to take what she says with a pinch of salt.

• Like 1

This isn't entirely true.

Certainly Hearts (And possibly Celtic) may be the only ones signed up, but Hibs, for example, had a local councillor getting incredibly chippy at them before Dempster slapped him down;

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/hibs-fire-back-at-snp-councillor-over-living-wage-petition-1-4039034

Essentially; Aye they do it, but they haven't been accredited, which seems fair enough?

For us? I dunno whether we do. I'd hope so for the reasons mentioned.

Cheers, I now remember this spat.

I did wonder what how the value of accreditation would be perceived by employers. Steelboys point on contractors may be a reason for bodyswerving the accreditation process.