Scottish Premiership Game 17: Partick (A) 13/12/17 19:45

Yabba's Turd

On paper its a game we should take something from but yesterday's performance and result has shown that the squad doesn't have as much real depth as many of us thought. Clearly, in terms of line up, more of the same won't do and indeed will not be possible. Our big problem is up front and much as I dislike it a 3-5-1-1 or 4-5-1 line up is our only realistic option gioven that Tanner is not a striker.

I'd go with the same defence but include Campbell, Rose, Frear, Grimshaw and Tanner in the engine room in some shape or form. Cadden may not be as big a loss as some might think as he's been playing more in the middle and not contributing nearly as much as he would have done out wide. Again not having a third choice goalie will represent a risk.

Thistle took a hammering yesterday and by all accounts aren't defending well but that wont be an issue if we can't pressurise them.

• Like 1

We dont have a good recent record at Firhill do we? Struggling to think of a good performance other than the Faddy inspired 5-1one Christmas.

Id like to see us switch approach and give more game time to our ball players as Robinson would put it. Depending on the scale of our injury situation, we should see much more of Bigi, Tanner, Frear, Grimshaw, MacLean and Dimi in the coming weeks. Time to go 4231 or 433 and try and play through teams with decent movement.

Aye and we are still 12 points ahead of them so that says it all, i.e they are feckin dross. So if we get the attitude correct from the start we will win

Their recent home record isn't that bad. Wins against St. Johnstone & Dundee, draws against Rangers & Hearts and loses to Hibs & Kilmarnock.

Given our record at Firhill in modern times I think we shouldn't be putting our house on a win.

Another midweek match I can't go to. Seems like ages ago since I was at a league match (Oct 28th to be precise).

Their recent home record isn't that bad. Wins against St. Johnstone & Dundee, draws against Rangers & Hearts and loses to Hibs & Kilmarnock.

Given our record at Firhill in modern times I think we shouldn't be putting our house on a win.

Another midweek match I can't go to. Seems like ages ago since I was at a league match (Oct 28th to be precise).

Were actually on a bit bad run at the moment which no one seems to be mentioning (and Moult etc were only missing for 1 game), albeit 2 games were v Celtic but 4 points from 18, 1 win in 6 is pretty poor.

I think were under a bit of pressure to get something on Wednesday as 1 win in 7 is very poor and then we are away to a resurgent Killie....

I like to get my panicking in early as you know!

I think there's several ways to look at our form. On the one hand we've taken 4(should have been 6) from 9 against Celtic and Aberdeen, but the obvious inverse of that is 0/9 against Hibs,Ross County and Hearts. I'm nowhere near panic stations yet but a win on Wednesday would go a long way towards;

a) allaying any lingering relegation fears, barring a monumental second half of the season collapse, by putting us 15 clear of 12th

b) ensuring we don't rock up to Killie on 1 win in 8

c) helping us prepare for the inevitable and prove we can win without Moult

• Like 1

We dont have a good recent record at Firhill do we? Struggling to think of a good performance other than the Faddy inspired 5-1one Christmas.

Was that the one where some posters on here (and our manager) became convinced that Dan Twardzik was the answer to our goalkeeping problems?

• Like 1

I didn't imagine in July we would be headed in the right direction until next summer, where Robinson would have had 3 windows to build and learn.

That was confounded as of late November, upwards of 500k in the bank for the cup run and at one point sitting 3rd in the league. We have made a quantum leap this season and exceeded every expectation.

The two wins against Aberdeen this season have maybe gave us a false idea of where we are. I don't see a loss to Hibs as being that bad, the manner in which we did, well thats open to debate.

The Celtic games just showed whats its like to be the poor bugger in the yellow bib chasing the ball in that 1 touch triangle game they do to warm up ..... effectively for 270 minutes, of course it's going to be a bit demoralising combined with the feeling that we were wronged. What I would have given for a international break in late November.

A league season is all about taking chances and riding luck and it normally evens out over the course, some of the points we've earned so have have had a rub of the green and some we've been denied through an inch here or there or a lack of sporting integrity.

There's a number of fringe players who can now get an opportunity to stake a claim for a start in the 2nd half of the season.

Personally I'd go for (based on current injuries):

------------------ Griffiths -----------------

Tait - Hartley(McHugh) - Kipre - Hammy

Grimshaw ----- Rose ---- Bigi ----- Frear

------------------ Tanner ------------------

----------------- Bowman -----------------

The last time we played at Firhill Robinson started Jules and Blyth which raised questions about whether he had any ability to judge players. We had some dreadful performances on Saturday and while Bowman will have to play Petravicius, Frear and Rose should be getting a night off.

There have been quite a few players riding on the effort of others this season and getting a pass while putting in Craig Clay level performances. Without Moult we need a serious rethink about tactics as launching long balls and playing the percentages isn't going to work without him.

That still baffles me, and at the same time just typifies how clueless some folk are about the game that we all watch week in, week out.

Dan Twardzik :haha:

Not sure it was that mental.

When he first joined he played 5, won 5, conceded 2. On paper, he looked like the answer at the time.