Who Do We Bring In January

Andrew1988

Is Eoin Doyle too wild a call?

On loan at Oldham from Preston due back on 1st Jan. Likely to be on very decent money though.

I always remembered him at Hibs as in the Josh Magennis/Ryan Bowman mould- hardworking, physical, bit of a nuisance but not particularly prolific. Looking at his stats though he seems to have turned into an absolute goal machine in England. When the fuck did that happen?

I always remembered him at Hibs as in the Josh Magennis/Ryan Bowman mould- hardworking, physical, bit of a nuisance but not particularly prolific. Looking at his stats though he seems to have turned into an absolute goal machine in England. When the fuck did that happen?

I always thought he was quality but lightweight during his time at Easter Road. From what Ive seen, Moult and Doyle have similar intelligence when it comes to movement in the box.

Interesting that Jim McMahon said that we're looking to strengthen a number of areas next month. We've mad a bit of cash this year and even with loan repayments to John Boyle and Les, Stephen Robinson should see a little of that. We all suspect a few players may also move out. So, it could be an interesting month and for once, the enforced break could work in our favour. Hopefully any newcomers, and certainly a Moult replacement, will arrive before the Accies cup game.

Funny how this place 6 weeks ago raved about how Bowman running was instrumental to Moult performing. Now for too many he's as pish as he was perceived in the summer. Oh how we enjoy the rollercoaster.

Glad its just not me thats noticed that.

I was far from Bowmans biggest fan last year but hes done a very good job for us so far this season. Even going by stats alone hes got 1 less league goal from open play than Moult and has the same number of assists, which is not bad going really for a guy who apparently doesnt produce enough and is just there to do some running about for Moult.

I've got faith in the club given recent recruitment but I really do hope we push the boat out financially. We are always going to be signing players with potential but I'd like to see someone with at least a decent goal record coming in. Surely we are now in a position to pay a couple of hundred thousand and a decent wage? Not saying money equals success but still means we can bring in a more rounded player. Let's reinvest rather than trying to pull another rabbit out the hat. A similar investment as Moults deal coming in needs to be done.

Surely we are now in a position to pay a couple of hundred thousand and a decent wage?

I hope we don't fork out a couple of hundred thousand. It could be money, best spent elsewhere, down the swanee. What do you term a decent wage? I'd say £50 + grand a year (which is what Louis Moult was on) isn't bad.

• Like 1

I hope we don't fork out a couple of hundred thousand. It could be money, best spent elsewhere, down the swanee. What do you term a decent wage? I'd say £50 + grand a year (which is what Louis Moult was on) isn't bad.

Surely he'll have been more than 50k per year??

That's around £3000 take home per month. No one could stand in his way if PNE are going to times that by 10.

I know taxi drivers who earn more that 3k a month but that's another story

• Like 3

I've got faith in the club given recent recruitment but I really do hope we push the boat out financially. We are always going to be signing players with potential but I'd like to see someone with at least a decent goal record coming in. Surely we are now in a position to pay a couple of hundred thousand and a decent wage? Not saying money equals success but still means we can bring in a more rounded player. Let's reinvest rather than trying to pull another rabbit out the hat. A similar investment as Moults deal coming in needs to be done.

Yes and no.

The fact that we may (stong emphasis on may) be able to afford to pay "a couple of hundred thousand and a decent wage" doesn't necessarily mean we should. Personally I actually think spending a large amount on a transfer fee would be the worst possible thing we could do.

There's a balance to be struck. Using some of the proceeds to pay off some of our ongoing financial committments - yes. Building on the infrastructure changes across the club that might help earn us more money down the line (e.g. revamped website, online ticketing service, scoreboard that people can advertise on, a more user friendly Cooper Bar) again yes. Using some of the proceeds to help retain the current squad members Robinson wants to retain, definitely yes. Using some of the proceeds to help expand the market we're operating in a little - in a calculated fashion, once again yes.

Spending in the region of a couple of hundred thousand on a transfer fee. Not a chance. When we've spent the last couple of years turning around something of a financial tanker (last set of accounts suggest the tanker still hasn't yet fully turned in the right direction) the worst signal we could send out is that we've money burning a hole in our pockets.

For one thing some of those chipping in through the 'Well Society may well consider if it is necessary for them to continue, or continue to donate in the same vein if the club are in a position to chuck around £200k on a transfer fee. And I rather suspect that as soon any club gets wind that we're seemingly willing to splash cash around in a fashion not seen for some time the fees for the players you might be interested in will doubtless rocket.

We're in a bit of a sticky spell on the park currently but the strategy has been working well both on and off the park in the main. Why change that when both sides of the club appear to be delivering in a reasonably sound way.

• Like 2

Surely he'll have been more than 50k per year??

That's around £3000 take home per month. No one could stand in his way if PNE are going to times that by 10.

I suspect he was but that doesn't make for a good headline. While PNE will pay him 10 times more than we are he won't see anything like that in his hand unless there's some tax wheeze in operation. The top rate of tax, which he presumably will pay, is pretty steep and that will eat into the 10 times headline.

For a football player that is not great...double it and your into 'good' in terms of the Scottish premiership. (Outside of the old firm).

Some of our more senior players were in three times Moult's wage...