Who Do We Bring In January

Andrew1988

Would hope despite our situation where we have to allocate money to pay off debts etc, we would still have some money from a combination of Moult and Heneghan sales, Johnson sell on, cup run and TV money and anything Im forgetting for some reinvestment in the squad. Primary focus on getting a replacement for Moult, while hopefully also adding in defence and maybe a natural winger. Tall order on a tight budget, but we have just lost our only real match winner.

As much as I would have loved Louis to stay,im glad it's done this early as I thought this would rumble on towards the end of january,as we don't need the distraction,like others i think we need to be looking at bringing in 2 strikers as what we have right now doesn't fill me with much confidence.getting Hartley on a permanent deal has to be a priority as we've seen how badly weve missed him the last couple of games.

• Like 1

I mind nipping away from work to see Motherwell get pumped by Bradford at Grangemouth. The one highlight was Moults substitute appearance as he just looked like a proper striker. The memories and celebrations generated since (Parkhead a personal fav) in conjunction with his willingness to embrace the community spirit ensure he will be fondly remembered for a long time to come. I wish him all the best.

From a Motherwell perspective, this deal has been in the mix for some time. I imagine when discussions started we were in a decent run of form and we would have therefore envisaged concluding the deal with a few more points in the bag. To therefore agree a deal in mid December with 1 win in 8, a deal that will see most of the money go to Wrexham/Boyle/Les, suggests we are very confident with the replacement(s) lined up.

I think the above sentiment will be shared by most of us, in that he went about the whole stepping stone thing the right way. I think PNE will be a great move for him.

Not every player we bring in is going to follow the Marvin/Ben/Moult model, but where we have paid lip service to the whole selling model before, it looks like we actually know what were doing now.

I think keeping Louis until the end of the season would have undermined the model in that we got him for a small fee from Wrexham with the promise of a sell on. had we then let him go for nothing it wouldnt bode well for similar deals in the future.

The club have also done a great job with this publically, making sure everyone knew we were desperate to keep him, but the right offer is always going to be considered.

So, now that were looking for a replacement Id assume that the source will be the same, which take the fun out of it as most of us arent up to speed on under the radar non-league strikers who are more Moult-y than Fletcher-y. Id love it if we could move for an up and coming lower league player in Scotland, but Im aware of the additional cost, and dont even know who that would be.

Are there any sidelined strikers at other SPL clubs that could do a job for us?

In theory I understand these type of threads but in reality we will be taking a punt on a 22 ish YO former youth prospect who's dropped a few divisions and has something to prove.

Hopefully.

There's certainly no chance of getting a proven striker in the January window as they are usually proving themselves under contract to their employers.

I'm pleasantly surprised we managed to sell Moult. When he started the season I imagined we'd lose him for nowt on a pre-contract.

Good piece of business - unless we get relegated of course, then it's a case of "Utter madness by an incompetent Board who should all be sacked"

I'm sure Robinson has targets, but some of the better ones might not be available until the summer.

• Like 1

Hopefully.

There's certainly no chance of getting a proven striker in the January window as they are usually proving themselves under contract to their employers.

I'm pleasantly surprised we managed to sell Moult. When he started the season I imagined we'd lose him for nowt on a pre-contract.

Good piece of business - unless we get relegated of course, then it's a case of "Utter madness by an incompetent Board who should all be sacked"

I'm sure Robinson has targets, but some of the better ones might not be available until the summer.

Have Preston not just signed a proven striker under contract in the January window ?

• Like 1

BBC are reporting in region of 500k, so you'd hope 150k left over after Wrexham and Boyle/Les get their cut. 150k is what we used to secure both Marvin and Moult, so lets keep the faith. In a few years time you'd expect that investment will have paid off 10 fold.

We've found players before who were unknown and produced the goods, these apocalyptic threads (or more a few naysayers who post in them) are as intrinsic to Motherwell FC as panty wetting over Hampden ticket provision.

Hartley for me is now key.

Funny how this place 6 weeks ago raved about how Bowman running was instrumental to Moult performing. Now for too many he's as pish as he was perceived in the summer. Oh how we enjoy the rollercoaster.

A potential player id look at if i was Motherwell is Lewis Vaughan of Raith Rovers, 21 year old striker who has 23 goals in all competitions this season and would meet our model of someone we can bring in develop further and move on for a hefty profit.

Rightly or wrongly he'd be one for the future but he's never played at our level. We're going to need someone who has played at a slightly higher level who can hit the ground running.