Scottish Premiership Game 19: Dundee (H) 23/12/17 15:00

Yabba's Turd

SL allways seems to leave himself wide open by making subs early then being left with the possibility of what happened today,as someone said on here before if the starting line up is not working try and shuffle the pack a wee bit before taking anybody off ,,,, only my thoughts on the matter

• Like 1

That was a good point. We played well first half, passed the ball about well but had nothing up front. The last half hour was all Dundee but the guys on the park stood up and kept a clean sheet. Frear has always seemed like a shitebag and seeing him walk off today while Hartley, Kipre and Tait played through inury reinforced the point.

I heard that Fisher might be up for leaving and his non appearance today is a good sign. If we can get shot of him, possibly Rose plus the Moult money and potentially Kipre money and bring in two strikers and a left mid we will be in a decent place.

Good point considering all players back from injury all injured again. 10 players for last ,20mins plus Hartley and Carson who were injured and newell who was blowing out his a**e.... potential there but needs to get fit. Tanner and Tait star men today. I am big fan of Tait and can't understand the stick he gets on forum

• Like 3

Mabye I am just becoming intolerant and unsympathetic in my old age, but I am bemused by Frear not returning thereby leaving us down to 10 with a fair bit of the match still to go.

I take SR`s view that Frear wasn't contributing anyhow but surely keep him on as he would offer at the very least nuisance value. Certainly would have meant that Dundee would have had to keep half an eye on him whereas for last part of the game Dundee could ignore Frear`s area completely.

I suspect if we had lost the game there would have been more said about this.

Also, as mentioned by another poster, Frear seemed to go up the tunnel without too much discomfort.

Just wouldnt have happened in my day. Then, injured players would have carried their detached leg under their arm and still have manged an effort on goal!!

Utterly ridiculous post. Frear is a totally committed player who give his all every time - it's comments like this from the stand that I find totally embarrassing get behind our players instead of shouting abuse. Frear was one of the few who fancied it against Patrick by the way!

Mabye I am just becoming intolerant and unsympathetic in my old age, but I am bemused by Frear not returning thereby leaving us down to 10 with a fair bit of the match still to go.

I take SR`s view that Frear wasn't contributing anyhow but surely keep him on as he would offer at the very least nuisance value. Certainly would have meant that Dundee would have had to keep half an eye on him whereas for last part of the game Dundee could ignore Frear`s area completely.

Also, as mentioned by another poster, Frear seemed to go up the tunnel without too much discomfort.

Just wouldnt have happened in my day. Then, injured players would have carried their detached leg under their arm and still have manged an effort on goal!!

The nuisance factor wasn't there and the Dundee no. 2 had sussed this and was ignoring him and haring up the park.

That was a good point. We played well first half, passed the ball about well but had nothing up front. The last half hour was all Dundee but the guys on the park stood up and kept a clean sheet. Frear has always seemed like a shitebag and seeing him walk off today while Hartley, Kipre and Tait played through inury reinforced the point.

I heard that Fisher might be up for leaving and his non appearance today is a good sign. If we can get shot of him, possibly Rose plus the Moult money and potentially Kipre money and bring in two strikers and a left mid we will be in a decent place.

"Potentially Kipre Money" ..... have I missed something ??

We look a different team from earlier in the season. Is there something else going on? Were now 1 win in 9. Major question marks over the manager in my opinion. Continually picking the wrong team, wring formation, wrong subs and 4 games in, a complete lack of plan for how to play without Moult! We now appear to have risked injured players to scrape a point at home to Dundee and now theyre all injured again! Was that worth it? Are we just going to stumble through December, effectively writing off 6/7 games? Cos that could absolutely kill us. 1 point from 12 in 4 games v hearts, Thistle, Killie and Dundee is piss poor and potentially damaging return. Im struggling to remember such a shitey points haul. I said after tynecastle we wouldnt win another game in 2017 and I fear Im going to be right. That would then be 1 win in 11 and then youre reaching jaiket on shoogly peg territory unfortunately are we not?

And risk him doing himself more harm and missing even more games??

Aye right then.

Utterly ridiculous post. Frear is a totally committed player who give his all every time - it's comments like this from the stand that I find totally embarrassing get behind our players instead of shouting abuse. Frear was one of the few who fancied it against Patrick by the way!

Lets just agree to differ.

What is however inescapable is that he was not stretchered off nor did he suffer a head knock.

What is also the case is that before leaving the pitch he was giving and receiving the ball.

And it is clear that going up the tunnel he did so at a pace which he could similarly have used by staying on the pitch.

I am not expecting him to do any running. Just simply hug the shy line as has been done by countless clubs in similar situations over the years.

Not going as far as others have stated to call Frear " a shitebag" but let me tell you if I was playing alongside him I would have let him know how I felt.

By getting a point SR and Frear escaped a real grilling .

Football is about opinions.

What is however inescapable is that he was not stretchered off nor did he suffer a head knock.

What is also the case is that before leaving the pitch he was giving and receiving the ball.

And it is clear that going up the tunnel he did so at a pace which he could similarly have used by staying on the pitch.

I am not expecting him to do any running. Just simply hug the shy line as has been done by countless clubs in similar situations over the years.

I don't get the acrimony towards Frear. Cadden wasn't stretchered off nor did suffer a head knock. He too had hamstring problems. We sit by the half way line and Frear walked, not hobbled, off the pitch - exactly the same as Cadden. Both were clearly injured and both should have been taken off sooner. The longer they stayed on the worse any injury might be. I don't want to see either play again until the Accies cup game.

The manager said that the players declared themselves fit, so Id assume that if frear wasnt up for it he could have easily kept himself out of contention from the game.

Hobbling around injured makes no sense, it just runs the risk of further injury. Hartley had cramp, which is different from a hamstring injury.

Id agree that theres no point risking Cadden or frear until after he break (if fit). Robbo said that Carson is a case of pain management until the break, so i assume an operation is on the horizon.

Just caught the highlights. That was some save at the end.

We look a different team from earlier in the season. Is there something else going on? Were now 1 win in 9. Major question marks over the manager in my opinion. Continually picking the wrong team, wring formation, wrong subs and 4 games in, a complete lack of plan for how to play without Moult! We now appear to have risked injured players to scrape a point at home to Dundee and now theyre all injured again! Was that worth it? Are we just going to stumble through December, effectively writing off 6/7 games? Cos that could absolutely kill us. 1 point from 12 in 4 games v hearts, Thistle, Killie and Dundee is piss poor and potentially damaging return. Im struggling to remember such a shitey points haul. I said after tynecastle we wouldnt win another game in 2017 and I fear Im going to be right. That would then be 1 win in 11 and then youre reaching jaiket on shoogly peg territory unfortunately are we not?

Normally I'd agree with you but not now. Given our injury situation and Moult's "unavailability" the games starting with Hearts and ending with Accies next Saturday were always going to be tough. Prior to this game, I didn't expect us to win today but hoped for a draw. My thinking was if Dundee score its game over unless we can score with a set piece. I was expecting a 0-0 stalemate. I don't expect anything other than a defeat on Wednesday. Next Saturday will probably be similar to today (hopefully Robbo has learned some lessons) and I'll be happy with a draw. I'll be comfortable with 8th or 9th spot by Hogmanay. We can then regroup next month by refreshing the squad and bringing in a strikeforce, as we don't currently have one. If we do that I'm comfortable we'll kick on from there.

Big mistakes were made today off the pitch. I did wonder if we knew anything about Dundee beforehand as I got a shock when I saw the size of some of their players at kick off. Surprise surprise they won most evertything in the air and physically bullied us. Robbo would not have liked that. Quite clearly Cadden was nowhere near fit and we were a man down at 3pm. Bowman and Tanner just didn't link up. The former worked hard but thats it and the latter looked good, took his penalty well but all too often there was no end product. To be fair he's not a striker and never will be. Newell looks promising but is a youngster recovering from a long term injury and should be nowhere the first team just now - thats how poorly off we are for strikers.

I thought Tait, Kipre, Hartley and Dunne played well and were let down by a powder puff midfield in fron of them. MacGowan's goal was a shocker. He took it well but had all the time and space in the world to pick his spot. Unlike our attackers he did better than just bring out a good save from the keeper. Carson did very well with one fantastic save in the second half to give us a point. Midfield was very poor and got steamrollered at times. McHugh let his defence down badly with poor off the ball play. Grimshaw battled away well but was bested by bigger and heavier opponents. As they say in boxing, a good big un is better than a good little un. Bigi had reasonable game. Robbo made more crucial errors just after the break with a double change. I would have kept Bowman on, as he was the only experienced striker we had. By all means change Campbell for Grimshaw. Frear should never have been brought on. I'd like to have seen Newell feed off Bowman, however limited that may have been. Make one more change yes but keep a sub in reserve as I always had the feeling someone was going to be injured and we'd be left short. I'm just not sure of these big changes after half time - it smacks of getting the orignal line up wrong.

Overall we were fortunate to win a point but we were due a bit of luck.

Youre starting to sound like you want Robinson out ?

Not at all and Im sure wed all rather it didnt get to the point where that was even a consideration.

Personally I would say lets look at what this seasons expectations and criteria were at boardroom and fan levels. For me it was a decent cup run and survival, I was not looking at anywhere near top six so if we do that im happy. Have to say I was pretty sceptical about his appointment and not overly impressed by some of his summer signings in the pre season friendlies but he's surpassed my expectations. I hope hes given the season regardless, then if we only just survive maybe his position needs to be looked at. If we are in real danger of relegation the pressure will be on before that but I honestly still think with all our main players fit we have more than enough to end up safe.

One of those occasional bad point/good point games where you can't be quite sure whether you should be happy or annoyed at what you've got.

I was certainly looking for a win beforehand and I'm sure, particularly when you consider that the players recovering from injury were all involved, I think that illustrates the management had very much targeted this for three points also.

To an extent it seemed a case of trying to get back to the formation, if not personnel, that had been generally successful for the early part of the campaign. I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not. We seemed set up to try to get crosses in to a box containing one striker, who quite often found himself outside the box, and with generally little aerial ability to capitalise on any crosses if they weren't caught by the wind or blocked by the first man.

I thought we immediately showed a bit more intent as the second half started but were undone by what was a very well excuted goal by Dundee. I could make many criticisms about our team but chucking it certainly isn't one of them and as per they responded with gusto trying to get back into the game.

Without having seen the incident at first glance I thought our penalty looked soft (nobody has mentioned it so perhaps not) but well tucked away by Tanner. There's always that uneasy feeling when someone other than the regular taker steps up so in that respect his finish offered assurance if he's called upon again post-Moult.

I was unaware of the extent of Frear's injury but that combined with the arrival of Allan seemed to see the game turn in Dundee's favour and we rode our luck and had our goalkeeper to thank on more than one occasion. I'm not overly fussed at what could be considered an overdue rub of the green. Character is another of our assets in this group and they certainly showed that also in digging in to earn the draw.

In the medium term I still think we aren't a million miles away. Easier said than done but having striker of some calibre would I believe have done much to turn the defeats and draws iof recent games into draws and wins.

In the very short term however we're creaking again numbers wise and absolutely powder puff up fron. It seems very much a case of limping through the next two games and re-grouping after the New Year with some refreshed players and new additions.

Did anyone think that Rose's booking was a dive?

No, never in a million years. MacGowan's effort however was plain dive - he was on the deck even before the challenge came in. For some reason the referee took an almost instant dislike to Chris Cadden -is there history there?

Agree with Andy P's assertion that "In the very short term however we're creaking again numbers wise and absolutely powder puff up fron. It seems very much a case of limping through the next two games and re-grouping after the New Year with some refreshed players and new additions."

I don't get the acrimony towards Frear. Cadden wasn't stretchered off nor did suffer a head knock. He too had hamstring problems. We sit by the half way line and Frear walked, not hobbled, off the pitch - exactly the same as Cadden. Both were clearly injured and both should have been taken off sooner. The longer they stayed on the worse any injury might be. I don't want to see either play again until the Accies cup game.

A very sensible measured and accurate summary of the situation. Some other comments on this subject leave me shaking my head in bewilderment.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

In the age of sports science is the best way to assess a players fitness to ask them if they are fit?

My thoughts exactly. Not sure if any truth in this, but I've heard through the grapevine that our physio told Robinson that Cads, Frear and Hartley weren't ready.

If so, that's a huge gamble to take on 3 key players.