Scottish Premiership Game 21: Hamilton (H) 30/12/17 15:00

milo

I don't think the system is fair at all. It seems the BBC decide what to highlight and what to turn the blind eye too. Compliance officer then duly falls into line. We have been over highlighted in the past I believe while larger clubs seem to get away with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they reject supporters video and go with the refs report resulting in only Hartley getting done as no one else was cautioned, if the ref saw anything surely he would have acted then ?

I don't think the system is fair at all. It seems the BBC decide what to highlight and what to turn the blind eye too. Compliance officer then duly falls into line. We have been over highlighted in the past I believe while larger clubs seem to get away with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they reject supporters video and go with the refs report resulting in only Hartley getting done as no one else was cautioned, if the ref saw anything surely he would have acted then ?

I agree about the BBC, for what its worth. I'm puzzled as to why Hartley was red carded off the pitch, but no-one else was. Yes it was the initial incident and Imrie fell to the deck, so it was easy to spot. I get that. But, the officials were a distance away. As the melee unfolded, the match officials ran towards it and were closer. I would guess that they'd see several things going on but maybe not clearly; however there were three of them. Surely the common sense thing to do was to warn Hartley that he'd be in trouble and then break up the disturbance? In his report the referee could then refer to the melee and Hartley's instigation of it. He would then have time to check footages etc and then compile his report. In that way all of the individual incidents would be treated exactly the same.

In this case the very system will be under scrutiny but of course neither Celtic nor Sevco are involved so it won't be back page news.

• Like 1

I would think so but don't forget a few Accies players could receive bans their part in the melee following the Ross County game. The player who kicked Hartley will also be cited and banned I would think.

At the game I though the referee was very poor and got several major decisions wrong. However after watching the TV highlights I'd say he got something like 5 or 6 major decisions wrong. Shocking officiating.

Andrew Dallas is completely out of his depth at this level - if his name was Andrew Smith it is hard to imagine he'd be anywhere near an SPFL game...never mind having a UEFA badge on his top.

• Like 3

Andrew Dallas is completely out of his depth at this level - if his name was Andrew Smith it is hard to imagine he'd be anywhere near an SPFL game...never mind having a UEFA badge on his top.

Yes he is. From start to finish he failed to manage the game and a streetwise and cynical Accies team knew it and took full advantage. I've no doubt that the scuffle at the conclusion of the game arose, in part at least, because of unresolved niggles that built up since kick off. I don't know how referees are appointed but surely the SFA powers that be would have flagged up the fixture as a high risk one in that they know how Accies play; they had recent previous; and it was a local derby. Given that they ought to have appointed a more senior referee although that in itself would not have guaranteed a decent official. His first mistake on Saturday was not yellow carding (maybe even a red card?) Donati or Tomas for cynically taking Campbell out as he headed towards the penalty box. By not doing so he sent out entirely the wrong message, and things just deteriorated after that.

Hartley was red carded for acting like a petulant four year old, dressed as a professional footballer.

Utterly inexcusable, he could cost us the chance to proceed to the next round of the Cup.

The ensuing handbags amounted to nothing.

Dallas didnt run 20 yards and have a go at someone , Hartley did.

Fighting talk? Anyone else up for the next round of Defend the Indefensible?

• Like 1

Hartley was red carded for acting like a petulant four year old, dressed as a professional footballer.

Utterly inexcusable, he could cost us the chance to proceed to the next round of the Cup.

The ensuing handbags amounted to nothing.

Dallas didnt run 20 yards and have a go at someone , Hartley did.

Fighting talk? Anyone else up for the next round of Defend the Indefensible?

On this occasion I think you're missing the point. No-one is defending Hartley, at least I don't think they are. What he did was wrong just downright wrong and he deserves to be punished for it, which is he being. He's let down his team mates, the fans, his team captain, managers and the club. Some, though not me, would also argue he's let down Dougie Imrie and Hamilton Accies. As I say he's being punished for his indiscretions and I think he will accept that. However he's human; football is a an emotional game and once he's served his punishment we move on.

All that said, he, we the paying fans, and our club should expect no less than fair and consistent treatment of the other culprits. He shouldn't expect the incident to be treated in an ad hoc and random way and through spur of the moment justice. As far as I can tell there were 3 other "fouls" committed by Accies players namely shoving, kicking and punching Hartley. In my book they should also be investigated thoroughly and treated in a fair and consistent way, and if found guilty given appropriate punishments.

You refer to ensuing "handbags". How would you describe Hartley's shove? McMann shoved Hartley; and he was punched and kicked by 2 others. I'd hardly describe punching and kicking as handbags. If that had happened on Fir Park Street then the 2 culprits would have been lifted and charged with breach of the peace.

The issue here is not whether Hartley should be defended but that the entire incident should be investigated in a fair and consistent manner.

• Like 2

On this occasion I think you're missing the point. No-one is defending Hartley, at least I don't think they are. What he did was wrong just downright wrong and he deserves to be punished for it, which is he being. He's let down his team mates, the fans, his team captain, managers and the club. Some, though not me, would also argue he's let down Dougie Imrie and Hamilton Accies. As I say he's being punished for his indiscretions and I think he will accept that. However he's human; football is a an emotional game and once he's served his punishment we move on.

All that said, he, we the paying fans, and our club should expect no less than fair and consistent treatment of the other culprits. He shouldn't expect the incident to be treated in an ad hoc and random way and through spur of the moment justice. As far as I can tell there were 3 other "fouls" committed by Accies players namely shoving, kicking and punching Hartley. In my book they should also be investigated thoroughly and treated in a fair and consistent way, and if found guilty given appropriate punishments.

You refer to ensuing "handbags". How would you describe Hartley's shove? McMann shoved Hartley; and he was punched and kicked by 2 others. I'd hardly describe punching and kicking as handbags. If that had happened on Fir Park Street then the 2 culprits would have been lifted and charged with breach of the peace.

The issue here is not whether Hartley should be defended but that the entire incident should be investigated in a fair and consistent manner.

Your honour

The aggressor(Hartley) will invariably receive the harshest punishment, it has always been that way.

As for the ensuing meleé, I think microanalysis of every action is not worth pursuing. When in a hole, stop digging.

A Weegies definition of handbags may be a touch less delicate than others.

I see much the same on the bus to my work most days

You just cant defend Hartley's actions but you can certainly understand them. Imrie is just a detestable little ned from Lanark whos been brought up draped in a union jack, i just wished he'd smacked him properly to merit a ban.

I understand Imrie managed to get the Woodpecker pub in Lanark shut that night also as he was involved in a brawl with a 18yr old Motherwell fan. What age is Imrie? 33/34? What a great pro!!

Your honour

The aggressor(Hartley) will invariably receive the harshest punishment, it has always been that way.

As for the ensuing meleé, I think microanalysis of every action is not worth pursuing. When in a hole, stop digging.

A Weegies definition of handbags may be a touch less delicate than others.

I see much the same on the bus to my work most days

• Like 1