Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

So a wee bit better than hartley 

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

Donnelly is a bomb scare. He has sold Hibs' third, Hearts third and Kilmarnock's second and third despite only starting five games.

He doesn't look that incompetent in general play because he backs off all the time and gives attackers space. 

So a bit better than Hartley then.

Do feel a little bit for Donnelly.  He kind of has a very early days John Philliben/Brian Martin feel about him.  Notwithstanding any views on about his actual ability one game right-back, the next left-back, next again left-side of central defence and a niggling injury is hardly the best way to start off your career at a new team.  Hopefully like those two he's a bit of a slow burner.

• Like 1

meant to post this the other night in response to Busta and siebs posts, mustve fell asleep! unluckily post editor seems to have saved it?

team selection and line up is a total shambles ,

I've taken to focussing on a few players each game , Donnelly  was totally hung out to dry by Robinson at the weekend  (again). the Lad is the most one footed player I think we've ever had, yet our experienced football manager puts him out there on his wrong foot for majority of a game, a second game in succession , the lad was almost shell shocked by time he got moved to RB.

I'll go as far as saying Robinson is destroying decent reputations and perhaps even ruining players potential by dropping them into roles they just arent suited for.

There can be plenty arguments that players should  be capable of using both feet etc, but if a player simply cannot kick with his left foot, you'd have to be a certain type of 'visionary to think they would deliver on the left hand side, especially only a few days on from watching them play like a swan on ice

Robinson is slowly showing he's losing it, having taken to 'putting down' these "qualified young coaches with their licences" that have ideas of playing football

only one or two steps away from saying the players aren't delivering what he's asking them to do, a la Yogi Hughes patter.

the football we've been served during his tenure up has been 80-90% god awful, 10-20% sheer delight,

he might deserve more time, but NOT if he cannot select and set out a basic team utilising the capability of the players he has at his disposal (from his squad)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, one consolation at present -?we could have given McLeish another shot at managing us. He is so clueless he couldn’t even get who he had put on the field right. He couldn’t change anything when needed and he played two of the best left backs in Europe out of position. Makes you get a bit of perspective on where we are as a club, no?

16 hours ago, Hope Springs said:

Well, one consolation at present -?we could have given McLeish another shot at managing us. He is so clueless he couldn’t even get who he had put on the field right. He couldn’t change anything when needed and he played two of the best left backs in Europe out of position. Makes you get a bit of perspective on where we are as a club, no?

Two of the best left backs in Europe?

I watched Tierney play in Salzburg the other week, 48% pass completion.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 8:17 PM, Brazilian said:

meant to post this the other night in response to Busta and siebs posts, mustve fell asleep! unluckily post editor seems to have saved it?

team selection and line up is a total shambles ,

I've taken to focussing on a few players each game , Donnelly  was totally hung out to dry by Robinson at the weekend  (again). the Lad is the most one footed player I think we've ever had, yet our experienced football manager puts him out there on his wrong foot for majority of a game, a second game in succession , the lad was almost shell shocked by time he got moved to RB.

I'll go as far as saying Robinson is destroying decent reputations and perhaps even ruining players potential by dropping them into roles they just arent suited for.

There can be plenty arguments that players should  be capable of using both feet etc, but if a player simply cannot kick with his left foot, you'd have to be a certain type of 'visionary to think they would deliver on the left hand side, especially only a few days on from watching them play like a swan on ice

Robinson is slowly showing he's losing it, having taken to 'putting down' these "qualified young coaches with their licences" that have ideas of playing football

only one or two steps away from saying the players aren't delivering what he's asking them to do, a la Yogi Hughes patter.

the football we've been served during his tenure up has been 80-90% god awful, 10-20% sheer delight,

he might deserve more time, but NOT if he cannot select and set out a basic team utilising the capability of the players he has at his disposal (from his squad)

Absolutely spot on .

To save anyone buying a copy of the Sunday Mail to find out: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-legend-colin-oneill-slams-13413954

(Much as he’s a club legend for obvious reasons, I’m not sure he’d be top of my list to seek out for a reasoned analysis of... pretty much anything, really.)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, numpty said:

To save anyone buying a copy of the Sunday Mail to find out: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-legend-colin-oneill-slams-13413954

(Much as he’s a club legend for obvious reasons, I’m not sure he’d be top of my list to seek out for a reasoned analysis of... pretty much anything, really.)

Indeed. He said pretty much the exact opposite a year ago...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15554310.psycho-sees-same-pride-and-fight-in-stephen-robinsons-motherwell-that-carried-91-legends-to-glory/

1 hour ago, DEWELL said:

Excellent piece in Sunday Mail today from legend Colin O'Neill about the state of affairs at our club at the moment. Can imagine the happy clappers in outrage. He's maybe a tad harsh about Keith Lasley but the rest is bang on.

Really, it reads like a 14 year old with 10 minutes to spare. I’m struggling to see how that could ever be described as an “ Excellent piece”.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CoF said:

Yep, unless he has some insight on why Lasley is a waste of time then it's an absolutely pointless article that offers nothing.

Even the most nonsensical posters on here give more analysis. 

Something like 18 years with the club. I would describe that line as highly insulting, he needs to show a bit more class.

O'Neill's entitled to his opinion of course but it's never particularly pleasant to see a former player, especially one so revered, stick the boot in.  He might well have a point about the quality of the squad (time will tell) and the majority will agree on his views on the style of play but that's perhaps where he should have left it.  He's forgotten perhaps that Lasley wasn't foisted upon Robinson but his choice for assistant.

There's been a number of interviews and remarks attributed to him over the years and rightly or wrongly the impression I've built over that time he feels he's owed something by Motherwell and there's a lingering bitterness that he was never invited to take up a role in the way say Craigan, Clarkson, Hammell or indeed Lasley have.

He speaks highly of Tommy McLean and well he might. Without McLean spotting something in a unknown journeyman he was, giving him several months to work on his fitness and developing his talent he wouldn't have those international caps, that Scottish Cup winners medal when he shouldn't have been anywhere nearer the team and the profile that his views are still sought more than 25 years after he retired.  Perhaps he might do well let his countryman get on with trying to do the same without some of his unnecessary remarks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, numpty said:

“Their cup final over the last few seasons has been staying up.”

Or... the actual Cup Finals we've reached.

• Like 2

O’Neill must have been shitting it last season, if we’d won any of those cups he’d have been forgotten.

How long would Mclean have lasted in today’s climate? How long did it take him to produce the kind of football the 1993 team produced?

The management and the team are deserving of criticism right now, but as said above O’Neill has had an issue with the club for some time, feeling like he’s owed something. For some reason he thinks he should be in the coaching setup instead of guys who have contributed way more to the club than he did, and are qualified coaches.

If he was a coach at Motherwell all he could probably do is take the players down the pub to watch the ‘91 semi final and tell each player who they have to “go” in he next game. His analysis isn’t worth much other than riling up the folk that still adore him. The game has passed him by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

To be fair, other than the Lesley comment, he's not saying anything different from what most on here are saying. 

Spot on , really people need to stop making excuses for Robinson ( nice man) if you were at the game against Sligo you would have seen he does at least have three options from that team and he has to use them pronto and give up his formation 

• Like 1

After last season I have to think Robbo is deserving of some time to put things right. While the last 2 weeks has been some of the worst football I have ever witnessed, I still reluctantly stand by it.

However, the next 2 games are massive. If we're no better off, at least performance wise, or don't see any attempt to shake up system or personnel, it'll be near impossible to keep that up.