Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

1 hour ago, DEWELL said:

I think we have decent strikers it's our so called suppliers to them who've been awfull for weeks. Chris Cadden and Elliot Frear are guilty of being pish all season.

Yep, the forwards are feeding off scraps at times. How Cadden keeps getting picked is baffling given he’s had a truly dreadful season so far.

Main has been terrible for a while and looks like he'd benefit from a rest (or a few games on the bench). If our recruitment was to bring in backups, time to give Johnson a couple of starts. Same with Cadden, who looks like he needs a break. If both of those guys can get some form back, we'd be a lot healthier,

If it's crosses we are lacking, then let Frear play as a winger instead of a wingback. With Dunne back in the team, he has the pace to help cover any defensive lapses. 

I think several people have mentioned 4-4-2 instead of 3-5-2 and I’d tend to agree although it’s a dynamic game and regardless of what you call your line up it’s about how you instruct the players to play but I think playing 4-4-2 line up as follows would perform much better 

Carson 

Tait Aldred Hartley Dunne

Caden Campbell Turnbull Frear

Bowman Johnson

Tait and Caden work well together.  Frear can have a bit more  freedom to take on players and not worry about getting beat.  Hartley and Aldred are center backs so now they can both play as center backs.  We might be able to actually get some decent service to our forwards and actually create some decent amount of reasonable chances.  There will be options from the bench to work with to keep that formation. 

14 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I think several people have mentioned 4-4-2 instead of 3-5-2 and I’d tend to agree although it’s a dynamic game and regardless of what you call your line up it’s about how you instruct the players to play but I think playing 4-4-2 line up as follows would perform much better 

Carson 

Bowman Johnson

Tait and Caden work well together.  Frear can have a bit more  freedom to take on players and not worry about getting beat.  Hartley and Aldred are center backs so now they can both play as center backs.  We might be able to actually get some decent service to our forwards and actually create some decent amount of reasonable chances.  There will be options from the bench to work with to keep that formation. 

I agree with the sentiment here (going 4-4-2), however playing two guys under 21 together in a two man central midfield would be very risky.......Think I'm in a minority, however I think Mchugh has been one of our better performers so far this season, not saying much I know, but I still think he needs to play.................. 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Carson 

Bowman Johnson

1 hour ago, couttsy said:

I agree with the sentiment here (going 4-4-2), however playing two guys under 21 together in a two man central midfield would be very risky.......Think I'm in a minority, however I think Mchugh has been one of our better performers so far this season, not saying much I know, but I still think he needs to play.................. 

Pretty much agree with both these posts but my main concern is with fitness of Turnbull & Johnson. They would have to be replaced at somepoint leaving only one spare sub for injury or formation changes. 

I’d be happy with either both starting and bringing on Bigi & another striker later or Bigi starting with Turnbull coming later.  

Giving Campbell a rest is an option but fitting McHugh or Rose into a midfield 5 is an option I’d dismiss as we don’t have a striker who can play alone nor do we have the midfield that can support a lone striker and add goals. 

I’d say he’s got 2 games to save his job, 2 must wins. I’d like us to look at the way Killie went about it bringing in Steve Clarke guy who didn’t have much luck in England (obviously did not too bad at West Brom for a bit) but look to bring in Paul Lambert, give the club a massive lift be able to attract good players and add in his contract he can leave for a Premier league team or whatever.

33 minutes ago, supermarv said:

I’d say he’s got 2 games to save his job, 2 must wins. I’d like us to look at the way Killie went about it bringing in Steve Clarke guy who didn’t have much luck in England (obviously did not too bad at West Brom for a bit) but look to bring in Paul Lambert, give the club a massive lift be able to attract good players and add in his contract he can leave for a Premier league team or whatever.

Unfortunately he's literally just been announced as Ipswich Manager.

On the general theme though, there must be a few people of that ilk out there, although maybe not with Motherwell connections

• Like 1

Cadden is not a wing back and never will be. Slagging the guys performance in a position he shouldn't be in pointless.

If Moult had spent his time at Motherwell playing as a lone strike, he wouldn't have half the goals he ended up with. Would we be saying he was pish as well ?

19 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

If It at least looked like Robinson was trying to address the problems I’d be ok but it doesn’t seem that way.  Having said that I really hope he can turn it around and stay. Would be nice to have a bit of stability around the club but you have to draw the line somewhere. 

I think that’s one of my biggest concerns. He doesn’t look in the slightest like he will change his formation/tactics. 

Never mentions trying something different but constantly goes on about trying to go back to what we do best.... that shit is old. Teams have figured us out and that’s how a manager should and would earn his corn by adapting the team.  However he’s just trying to make us more defensive minded but in the exact same shape and system. 

In my opinion and I was big fan of his, it’s time for him to change ideas or go. I cant see the change so he has to go. 

The shit about the two cup finals is done now. This is a new season with new goals and new expectations. He’s had time to show we were improving, from July to October. We are regressing and not improving. 

However if he had beaten Celtic in one of the finals last year he would have had a job for life. However he didn’t. Decent days out that we didn’t turn up in, tactically or mentally. 

Robbo might not have a Plan B but Motherwell FC certainly should have and it’s now time to implement it. 

• Like 2

I don’t think there would ever be any likelihood of us attracting Lambert. I would take the man he replaced though. Ipswich may not have worked for Paul Hurst but he has a decent record in the English lower leagues and did a tremendous job last season with a Shrewsbury squad that isn’t dissimilar to ours.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gadgey said:

I don’t think there would ever be any likelihood of us attracting Lambert. I would take the man he replaced though. Ipswich may not have worked for Paul Hurst but he has a decent record in the English lower leagues and did a tremendous job last season with a Shrewsbury squad that isn’t dissimilar to ours.

Would much rather have Hurst than Lambert to be honest. Lambert has never really impressed me as a manager.

I'm sure Hurst got Grimsby promoted with tait and clay in the squad.

All hypothetical anyway as we still have somebody in the job just now, but if Robbo was to leave or was pushed Hurst would be my leftfield shout.

31 minutes ago, Bart Verheul said:

Would much rather have Hurst than Lambert to be honest. Lambert has never really impressed me as a manager.

I'm sure Hurst got Grimsby promoted with tait and clay in the squad.

All hypothetical anyway as we still have somebody in the job just now, but if Robbo was to leave or was pushed Hurst would be my leftfield shout.

Lambert has won almost 1 game in 2  in the Chapionship and managed back to back promotions with Norwich. Not too bad a record to me

25 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Lambert has won almost 1 game in 2  in the Chapionship and managed back to back promotions with Norwich. Not too bad a record to me

I didn't actually realise his record in the championship was that good.

Possibly his start at Livingston is clouding my judgement and the fact that he always sounds like he's struggling to put a sentence together. That's probably more a symptom of coming from Linwood to be fair.

Also just to point out that as a player Lambert was one of my favourites in the best Motherwell side I've ever seen so this isn't a personal attack.

• Like 1

Just as a reference/comparison point. Robinson perhaps getting some leeway from some of the fans due to his cup “success”  last year. Claudio Renerie won the EPL with Leicester City and got fired during the Next season.  So Robinson probably best be fixing things quickly now.   Tick tock tick tock ....

5 hours ago, Gadgey said:

He also signed Zak Jules

1 hour ago, Yassin said:

He also signed Zak Jules

LOL I knew someone was gonnae say that. I guess it proves he’s human. Mind you, he cottoned on quick, signing Jules in June and loaning him out for the season in the August.

Jules was one of something like 11 Shrewsbury free signings to replace the 13 or so dead wood (including Jim O’Brien) he sold or released. Add a few key loans and you have a team that went from hot tips for relegation to almost season long league leaders.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bart Verheul said:

I didn't actually realise his record in the championship was that good.

Possibly his start at Livingston is clouding my judgement and the fact that he always sounds like he's struggling to put a sentence together. That's probably more a symptom of coming from Linwood to be fair.

Also just to point out that as a player Lambert was one of my favourites in the best Motherwell side I've ever seen so this isn't a personal attack.

Yeah I agree  lambert was arguably the most talented playerbto play for us post Scottish cup win.  Never got the credit he deserved while playing for Motherwell - it was almost as if he never existed until he joined Dortmund then Celtic.

Reading report of game today St Johnstone totally dominant against St Mirren today with two missed penalties. Looking at last week we were the better of two very poor sides, so there are no excuses for the game in the up and coming week, if he loses this then questions need to be asked about his future decisions taken to take us forward