Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

1 hour ago, Clackscat said:

Wasn't saying I would rather have their squad (thanks ??),

just pointing out he turned it round with a complete squad overhaul. Kept them up from a seemingly impossible position then got promotion.

The fact Stubbs came in and made a right royal erse of it by sidelining a lot of that squad and falling out with all and sundry, meant there was more to their downturn than losing Morgan and doesn't deflect from the point that a January window can turn around things even without millions spent.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Pretty much the exception than the rule though and that’s at championship level. 

18 hours ago, Clackscat said:

Wasn't saying I would rather have their squad (thanks ??),

just pointing out he turned it round with a complete squad overhaul. Kept them up from a seemingly impossible position then got promotion.

And I'd say again that it was Lewis Morgan that made the difference rather than other other signings - as has been proved by their form this season.  If he hadn't gone back on loan the second half of last season I doubt they would have been promoted. 

26 minutes ago, weeyin said:

And I'd say again that it was Lewis Morgan that made the difference rather than other other signings - as has been proved by their form this season.  If he hadn't gone back on loan the second half of last season I doubt they would have been promoted. 

I think Jack Ross style of management also played a part to be fair. It's early days, but he looks like a talented manager.

23 hours ago, David said:

I think Jack Ross style of management also played a part to be fair. It's early days, but he looks like a talented manager.

I'm sure that's part of it too.

My original point was that all the talk of changing managers before January so we can let the new man make deals in the window is wide of the mark. Teams don't let their good players leave for free in January and having a new manager wouldn't change that. The core we have now is going to have to dig us out of this mess.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'm sure that's part of it too.

My original point was that all the talk of changing managers before January so we can let the new man make deals in the window is wide of the mark. Teams don't let their good players leave for free in January and having a new manager wouldn't change that. The core we have now is going to have to dig us out of this mess.

Yeah, I'm in full agreement there. The only reason we should be looking to ditch a manager mid-season is if it's all going catastrophically wrong.

That's not the case just now.

• 2 weeks later...

Celtic and out if we don't get a result on Wednesday night,would take a point right now . Robinson proved yesterday he hasn't a clue when it comes to tactics ,said they had worked on the Livingston threat all week well you could have fooled me . Get back to a solid 4 4 2 formation putting the right players in their correct positions . I'm sure if we get hammered on Wednesday night Robinson will give us a great Xmas present and go 

18 hours ago, Yodo said:

Celtic and out if we don't get a result on Wednesday night,would take a point right now . Robinson proved yesterday he hasn't a clue when it comes to tactics ,said they had worked on the Livingston threat all week well you could have fooled me . Get back to a solid 4 4 2 formation putting the right players in their correct positions . I'm sure if we get hammered on Wednesday night Robinson will give us a great Xmas present and go 

I agree that we need to move away from the 3-5-2 formation as our standard line up but Celtic nearly always play 5 in midfield away from home so I think it's unlikely we will play 4-4-2 on Wednesday.  

4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 (probably what Celtic will play with) are possibilities.

Robinson won't be going anywhere even if we are heavily defeated but Saturdays match and performance negated the Aberdeen result and the pressure is on Robinson again with four very difficult matches coming up.  

I think Robinson will probably limp into 2019 in much the same way that he limped into 2018, unless we fail to get anything from the St. Mirren and Hamilton matches.

The worrying thing for me is the nature of the team this season. It seems like we plod around losing games time and again, then when we hit a "must win" or big game the players turn up, play superbly and the previous 8 weeks of utter shite are forgotten. The following week were shite and back to getting pumped. 

That suggests to me that the players hold the power and the Manager is losing/has lost his authority!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shaka said:

The worrying thing for me is the nature of the team this season. It seems like we plod around losing games time and again, then when we hit a "must win" or big game the players turn up, play superbly and the previous 8 weeks of utter shite are forgotten. The following week were shite and back to getting pumped.  

That suggests to me that the players hold the power and the Manager is losing/has lost his authority!

This season?

We had 2 wins in 15 league matches last season from October through to February although no one seemed to notice what with cup fever in the air.

If anything we've improved slightly, bringing through a few young players and winning 3 out of 5.  Our overall league win ratio since Moult left is 27%.  Our league win ratio this season is 28.5%, a slight improvement, but it's certainly not worse. 

And Robinson has actually shown some willingness for tactical flexibility, although I'd stop short of saying he's tactically competent.

Of course it might be too late for either of those factors to save Robinson, but I think there is a slight glimmer of hope there.  It may be extinguished by Christmas with this tough run of games but that remains to be seen.

As for the team - this is a team very much moulded in the managers philosophy.  If Robinson doesn't survive I don't see many of the players being here next season so it's in their interest to up their game.

You would hope any new manager would get rid of more than half the team when he comes in as Shaka rightly said the players only play when they want to .Anybody who was at the game on Saturday would have witnessed one of the poorest away performances in years a mixture of poor tactics and players with limited ability . The players Robinson has signed has certainly let him down badly but he must be held responsible for the players at the club right now .

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

You would hope any new manager would get rid of more than half the team when he comes in as Shaka rightly said the players only play when they want to .Anybody who was at the game on Saturday would have witnessed one of the poorest away performances in years a mixture of poor tactics and players with limited ability . The players Robinson has signed has certainly let him down badly but he must be held responsible for the players at the club right now .

One of the smallest budgets in the league brings a squad with limited ability, that’s not going to change with a new manager unless they suddenly double the budget. Killy doing well these days but that’s come partly because they have increased their spending by a good 20%, how long before the bubble bursts and they are again in financial difficulty ?  I give it a couple of seasons. Problem for me is not ability anyway it’s consistancy, we saw it last season and it’s the same this.

56 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

One of the smallest budgets in the league brings a squad with limited ability, that’s not going to change with a new manager unless they suddenly double the budget. ........Problem for me is not ability anyway it’s consistancy, we saw it last season and it’s the same this.

To a great extent yes.  We've had a bad run of injuries this season and that certainly hasn't helped.  Whilst we do lack creativity and badly, what we have lacked so far this campaign is solid, reliable no nonsense players of a calibre equivalent to Premiership positions 7/8.  These guys don't come expensive just ask Livingston.  OK the quality of football isn't great but they perform reasonably well week in week out without setting the heather on fire but by the same token they don't make many errors.  Too often this term our players just haven't proved to be reliable or consistent as you rightly point out. 

17 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

To a great extent yes.  We've had a bad run of injuries this season and that certainly hasn't helped.  Whilst we do lack creativity and badly, what we have lacked so far this campaign is solid, reliable no nonsense players of a calibre equivalent to Premiership positions 7/8.  These guys don't come expensive just ask Livingston.  OK the quality of football isn't great but they perform reasonably well week in week out without setting the heather on fire but by the same token they don't make many errors.  Too often this term our players just haven't proved to be reliable or consistent as you rightly point out. 

Bringing  those young players though obviously also brings a level of inconsistency. On top of that injuries to key players have not helped, Dunn, Tanner, Carson, Cadden, Hartley,  Bowman. Every key player has been out at one time or another.

25 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Bringing  those young players though obviously also brings a level of inconsistency. On top of that injuries to key players have not helped, Dunn, Tanner, Carson, Cadden, Hartley,  Bowman. Every key player has been out at one time or another.

Yes.  Young players are inconsistent and have to be carefully nursed but not mollycoddled.  In our model, the Barry Maguires and David Turnbulls provide the skill and quality and the older pros should provide the reliability, stability and consistency but thats not how its turned out so far unfortunately.   

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Robinson just said on the radio that Liam Donnelly isn't fit enough for first team football.

Yet he continually picks him?

Continually? First game in two months tonight. Don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda though. 

Liam Donnelly is the least of our problems...

2 minutes ago, star sail said:

You going to give us your post match critique as well Yodo?

Good point terrible performance as I said on Saturday we have players of limited ability and it showed again tonight . All credit to the players for digging in and get rewarded at the end but I don't think anybody seen that team selection coming .We still have problems and I still think the manager is not the man to take the club forward but let's see what happens on Saturday 

2 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Good point terrible performance as I said on Saturday we have players of limited ability and it showed again tonight . All credit to the players for digging in and get rewarded at the end but I don't think anybody seen that team selection coming .We still have problems and I still think the manager is not the man to take the club forward but let's see what happens on Saturday 

Great finish thought from the boy at the end though don't you think? The guy that was picked up from the lower leagues on a shoestring budget. The kind of shoestring budget that a team like Motherwell are working on.

The manager saw the team selection coming and he got a draw out of it. Credit where it is due surely?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, star sail said:

Great finish thought from the boy at the end though don't you think? The guy that was picked up from the lower leagues on a shoestring budget. The kind of shoestring budget that a team like Motherwell are working on.

The manager saw the team selection coming and he got a draw out of it. Credit where it is due surely?

It was a great finish but honestly the performance was no better than Saturday's at Livingston .We don't have any width in the team at the moment so no out ball it's a style of football that's hard to watch