• Allan Campbell
    • Curtis Main
    • Craig Tanner
    • Nadir Çiftçi
    • Stevie Hammell
    • Gaël Bigirimana
    • Alex Fisher
    • Null Vote

Dont encourage him. Rose having Imrie in his back pocket gave us the platform to boss the midfield. He was given a man marking task - not one of attack or creativity...

If we are happy to completely forget attacking down one side of our pitch to nullify Dougie Imrie, then our style of play is worse than I thought.

I get that Rose carried out a particular role, but that particular role isnt the most difficult thing to do on a fitba' pitch. Yes, I've stated that I didn't really notice it at the game at the time, but looking back I can concede that he did keep Imrie very quiet, what I did notice though is his very limited use of the ball when he did have the time to get on it.

On a related, but also unrelated note...one of the best man-marking jobs I've ever seen at our level was Jonny Page on Merouane Zemmama against Hibs at a time when Zemmama was bossing games. I genuinely don't think he touched the ball up against Page and was eventually hooked.

I help run a boys club, and from time-to-time, we'll ask a boy to 'man mark' an opposition player...its generally the less talented boys that carry this role out

You surely must concede though, that this depends on the quality of player you're man-marking out the game? Additionally, It might well be the less-talented boys that carry it out, but someone has to carry it out and if you've got someone that's happy to do it and can do it with the desired effect of removing an opposing threat, then that's as much of an asset to the side as the "more talented" boys that can then enjoy the resultant chance to play. In my opinion of course. There's much more to it especially at professional level, than the old managers cliche of "if he goes for a pish son, I want you in the bogs next to him". Talented players can lose a marker that doesn't have the ability to do it, without too much trouble. (I'm not putting Dougie Imrie in that talented category btw....just a general point).

I like Andy Rose, and if someone's going to be asked to do that role i'd rather it was him than someone that does have attacking qualities, as we'd then be down an attacking player.

• Like 1

On a related, but also unrelated note...one of the best man-marking jobs I've ever seen at our level was Jonny Page on Merouane Zemmama against Hibs at a time when Zemmama was bossing games. I genuinely don't think he touched the ball up against Page and was eventually hooked.

If I remember correctly, Zemmama turned to Page as he was trudging off to suggest that he should be coming off along with him?

I thought he spent too much time outside the box

You surely must concede though, that this depends on the quality of player you're man-marking out the game? Additionally, It might well be the less-talented boys that carry it out, but someone has to carry it out and if you've got someone that's happy to do it and can do it with the desired effect of removing an opposing threat, then that's as much of an asset to the side as the "more talented" boys that can then enjoy the resultant chance to play. In my opinion of course. There's much more to it especially at professional level, than the old managers cliche of "if he goes for a pish son, I want you in the bogs next to him". Talented players can lose a marker that doesn't have the ability to do it, without too much trouble. (I'm not putting Dougie Imrie in that talented category btw....just a general point).

I like Andy Rose, and if someone's going to be asked to do that role i'd rather it was him than someone that does have attacking qualities, as we'd then be down an attacking player.

For me, its the easiest job in the team, 'wherever he goes, you go, make it as difficult as possible to get space and time'. The better the opposition player, the harder it is to man-mark him clearly.

I've nothing against Rose, he works hard and clearly Robinson rates him, I just take a wee bit of exception to folk saying that he had a great game, when his sole contribution was marking Dougie Imrie, and I possibly noticed his limitations a bit more with him being on the right hand side in front of me in the second half rather than being in the middle of the park. When he had the ball, he couldnt wait to get rid of it

Im in agreement with ONFY on this tbh and get his point.

On players carrying out man marking. One of the best I can remember is Mark Fitzpatrick on Alan Hutton when he was playing out his skin for Rangers just prior to the £8m move. Fitzy matched him all game and nullified him the full game.

Simo Valakari on Gascoigne on Owen Coyle day is my particular favourite...

Great point totally agree

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

There's much more to it especially at professional level, than the old managers cliche of "if he goes for a pish son, I want you in the bogs next to him". Talented players can lose a marker that doesn't have the ability to do it, without too much trouble. (I'm not putting Dougie Imrie in that talented category btw....just a general point).

I don't think Doogie Imrie goes to the bog though

• Like 3