Best Ever Well Left Back

grizzlyg

In all the years I watched Joe Wark, I only remember seeing him make one mistake. It was against Hearts and cost us an early goal.

Joe was visibly annoyed about it and played the rest of the game like a man possessed. He set up a goal for us shortly afterwards and led us to a 4 - 2 victory.

I've got no issue with Boyd's place in Motherwell's history for what he did during his time with us, after he moved on is a different matter, but the thing about him and the left-back position for me is that he really only played there for about two, two-and-a-half seasons tops.

Having played in central-defence and even in midfield he almost accidently stumbled into the position when John Philliben fell out of favour. He also reverted back to centre half when he returned to Scotland with Celtic.

Good as he was he never had quite the longevity in the position that the others had and he also had the considerable benefit of a rejuvenated Davie Cooper putting the ball on a plate for him for two of those seasons. His defending was rarely in question but the attacking element to his game came largely through Cooper telling him to "run here".

Absolutely on the money !!!

Im too young to have been able to watch Joe Wark but McKinnon is my lifetime favourite with Hammell a close second.

I've got no issue with Boyd's place in Motherwell's history for what he did during his time with us, after he moved on is a different matter, but the thing about him and the left-back position for me is that he really only played there for about two, two-and-a-half seasons tops.

Having played in central-defence and even in midfield he almost accidently stumbled into the position when John Philliben fell out of favour. He also reverted back to centre half when he returned to Scotland with Celtic.

Good as he was he never had quite the longevity in the position that the others had and he also had the considerable benefit of a rejuvenated Davie Cooper putting the ball on a plate for him for two of those seasons. His defending was rarely in question but the attacking element to his game came largely through Cooper telling him to "run here".

100% agree!!

Ive no doubt if Cooper hadnt arrived at fir park, Boyds career wouldve ended up mirroring the likes of fraser wishart!!

70 odd Scotland caps at a time when they qualified for tournaments, wanted by Brian Clough , captained us to a cup win , captained the bheasts to a treble but aye just another Fraser Wishart and he only got as far as that as Davie Cooper made him look good :good:

Wholeheartedly agree about him being persona non grata though !

I am definitely not in the Boyd hating camp. I remember when he broke into the first team and played a sweeper like role. It was obvious then he was a good reader of the game - he was just a bit slow at that point.

By the time we switched him to left back he was a yard quicker and an excellent player. Just not as good as Mr. Wark.

I really don't care what he said or did after he left us. I saw him lift the Cup at Hampden and that is good enough.

I find the sectarian views of Psycho (O'Neill not the original, Forbes) pretty small minded and offensive too, but that doesn't make his semi-final goal any less enjoyable.

70 odd Scotland caps at a time when they qualified for tournaments, wanted by Brian Clough , captained us to a cup win , captained the bheasts to a treble but aye just another Fraser Wishart and he only got as far as that as Davie Cooper made him look good :good:

Wholeheartedly agree about him being persona non grata though !

I'm not saying he didn't go on to have a great career? He did.

What I was saying was prior to the arrival of cooper I watched Boyd fumbling about in the midfield being booed week in week out and a career that was going downhill?

When he first started with us he looked a real prospect but it wasn't happening for him, probably as he was played out of position? However he was on the road to a big wave goodbye to a st mirren or Dundee?

Instead cooper arrived and he was a revelation a left back!!

He was brilliant for 2 yrs and deservedly moved to bigger things. Just saying football can be a game of luck and I think his luck came from the arrival of cooper. Something I've never heard him acknowledge?

I am old enough to have seen all 4 of them play, but it's very difficult to make a like for like comparison as the environment and rules etc that wark played under are totally different from what Boyd, McKinnon and Hammell experienced. So I don't think its valid comparing Wark with Hamell or the other two either ,they were all good in their time.

• Like 1

Without a doubt it's joe wark. A disciplinary record 2nd to none in an era when the game was played by proper hard ********. Don't think the rest of the players mentioned would have dealt that. Joe would stroll through the modern game.

Aye I remember being shocked when he got a yellow card i think at Dunfermline for a mistimed and hefty challenge towards end of his career.

Class act and life not fair to him afterwards being robbed and beaten up by some scumbag in his shop, and his premature death.

My favourite ever player.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In all the years I watched Joe Wark, I only remember seeing him make one mistake. It was against Hearts and cost us an early goal.

Joe was visibly annoyed about it and played the rest of the game like a man possessed. He set up a goal for us shortly afterwards and led us to a 4 - 2 victory.

Was that the game Brian Heron scored a hat trick for us. My memory not as good as yours!

Edited by tintowellfan

Was that in a Texaco Cup match - or is my memory as good as your's?

Just googled and found it as I remember it being a 5 - 3 score line.

06.11.1971. League game Heron scored three, Jumbo Muir and John Goldthorpe got one each. Gosh what memories, I can clearly remember watching him run down the line in front of me when I was standing in the East Stand. Happy memories.

• Like 1

Joe Wark is the stand-out for me, with Rab MacKinnon a close second.

An older pal of mine thought Baldy Shaw terrifyingly wonderful, but there ain't many of those supporters left.

Re the 5-3 Hearts match, which was a great night out, a bonus was that Brian Heron came back home on the EK supporters' bus, something which would never happen today.

Was that the game Brian Heron scored a hat trick for us. My memory not as good as yours!

I wish my memory was as good as you think!

I'll need to see if I can find the details now. Was post Brian Heron - probably late 70s. I watched it from the enclosure in front of the main stand.

EDIT: found it. I had a sneaking suspicion it was when we were both in the First Division, and sure enough, it was in the 1979/80 season (when Hearts won the title and were promoted and we finished a lowly 6th under Ally MacLeod).