Scottish Premiership Game 28: Dundee (A) 24/02/18 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Great to get the win but apart from the 3 centre half’s, quite a few ineffective performances. 

The ref was absolutely atrocious (particularly when he ignored Caulker throwing Main to the ground twice in quick succession) then ignored a really strong penalty for Dundee in the 90th minute!

I don’t think either goalie had a save to make. Big bowman was superb when he came on. Ciftci offered nothing I’m afraid.

1 hour ago, Clackscat said:

How many times have we been on the receving end in games like this.....I'll take it at this stage....mixlr excellent btw

This.  An important result for us.  How Dundee must hate Craig Tanner!  Onwards and upwards!

Going by his post match comments Neil McCann wasn't happy at all.  Had a go at match officials and singled out Curtis Main.  Maybe he should look closer to home.  he's obviously under pressure.  

59 minutes ago, ECOSSE1991 said:

Sportscene at 5pm managed to get our points total wrong (32 instead of 35), how difficult is it to add.

Assumed their wee pal Neil was going to get the win so had us at 32? 

First time in years that we've had a team that can grind a result out while playing poorly.  Should we just be grateful for it..?

Watching the game on Alba just now.  It's certainly not been pretty so far.

Great touch and cross by Main for the goal.  

Another thing to really like about Campbell is he's not afraid to demand more of the senior players when they're not cutting it.  He's having none of it!

39 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

First time in years that we've had a team that can grind a result out while playing poorly.  Should we just be grateful for it..?

2013/14 under McCall was the epitome of that expression. I don't think we put in any great performances all season but just seemed to keep getting results. That smash and grab at Pittodrie summed it up perfectly.

Still, the only stat from today that mattered was the result. Makes up a bit for losing last week while playing a lot better. 

Football's a funny old game.

We couldn't make game. Avoided score and watched game 'live' on Alba. Still ended up screaming at ref. Awarded 22 fouls to Dundee and 11 to us. Booked 1 of them (guess who?) and 3 of ours. Fed up that refs do not have to answer to anyone and get well paid for it. ( Maybe Lennon is right for once and refs should be sent off (although I don't recall him having a go at same ref, I think,  when he gave Hibs penalty and booked Tait for diving in 2-2 game at Easter Road this season.))

Agree the game was of a poor standard but that can be down to approach of other team and us not being good enough to raise our game to a higher level. But thought we more than cancelled out Dundee and the movement for the goal was at least decent. Their main threat (apart from their right winger) came from free-kicks (see above) and corner kicks which we dealt with fairly well, down to  our organisation and concentration (and Carson coming for crosses.)

Sympathy for Ciftci. We couldn't seem to get him into game in right area of park. To me we want him with ball at his feet in final third of the park where he's effective. Think he gets frustrated when not involved and is actually trying too hard to make things happen by dropping too deep - not just at Dundee, also against Killie. Although our style of play also asks our forwards to track back. Watching him closely against Killie it's not lack of effort - against Accies he was part of the pressing that led to own goal and he won the ball to make second goal against Ross County but both times in final third. Agree that Bowman was more effective when he came on but that may have been down to how both games developed. And I was ready to put bet on that ref was going to send Ciftci off so it was the right move to sub him.

From the three minutes of highlights it looks like we were extremely fortunate  to win today. They missed a few absolute sitters, potential foul from Main for backing in (although that's questionable as you can argue he was standing his ground), then he looks offside as he receives the ball and then to top it all off one of the worst pieces of defending this season when the Dundee boy decided not to cut out the cross.

Also annoying the highlights team omitted the Kipré handball, wanted to see it. 

Three minutes of highlights would seem to sum up the game. Still, churlish to complain too much about three important points won. We will have to play a good deal better against Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers in the coming league games if we are to pick up anything, but we  are capable of doing so,and we will beat home. Big week coming up with the chance of two good results turning an acceptable season into an exceptional season.

9 hours ago, Alpha1886 said:

Still ended up screaming at ref. Awarded 22 fouls to Dundee and 11 to us. Booked 1 of them (guess who?) and 3 of ours. Fed up that refs do not have to answer to anyone and get well paid for it. ( Maybe Lennon is right for once and refs should be sent off (although I don't recall him having a go at same ref, I think,  when he gave Hibs penalty and booked Tait for diving in 2-2 game at Easter Road this season.)).................Sympathy for Ciftci. We couldn't seem to get him into game in right area of park. To me we want him with ball at his feet in final third of the park where he's effective. And I was ready to put bet on that ref was going to send Ciftci off so it was the right move to sub him.

Good points.  Dundee could easily have had a few players yelow carded.  Kusuinga again put himself about and was fortunate not to puck up a card, as was Moussa for standing on Tanner's foot.  Murray could easily have been carded for dissent.  Some suggestion also that MacGowan was yellow carded again after the final whistle.   We were no angels, but Dundee know how to look after themselves and won the physical battle yesterday.  I agree about Ciftci and think he's more of a penalty box player.  the goal was definitely onside and Dundee knew it. 

Yet another shut out and 3 away points.  I'll take it.