‘Well fans who have played for the team

Gadgey

Within the article on the official site about Brian McLaughlin, there’s a picture of the all conquering Davie Hay first division team of 81-82.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/02/21/talisman-of-the-champions/

Theres some well kent faces in there but seeing Joe Wark and Brian McClair in there got me thinking.

Like all others too young to have seen him play,  I know Joe Wark is a motherwell legend but was he a ‘well fan? I was always told by my dad that Brian McClair was a ‘well fan ?

Gary McAlister is a ‘well fan but who else has worn the glorious claret and amber and realised their boyhood dreams?

Sorry to burst your dad's bubble, but McClair (from Airdrie) was a 'Hoops' fan through and through.

Don't think Joe was either - though certainly grew to have a deep affection and affinity with the club.

Think I read somewhere that Johnny Gaghan - though from Glasgow used to come to games with his Uncle, prior to signing and claimed to have been a supporter.

Gary Mac seems to divide opinion with those who went to school with him - some claim he was a 'blue-nose' others that he bled 'Claret & Amber' - he does pledge his allegiance to Motherwell when appearing as a pundit

Joe was from Glasgow. I dont believe he was brought up a Mothewell fan.

Willie P definitely was as I believe was Ian St John.

Ally Maxwell is another one that springs to mind .

Despite being unpopular with the support, I think Brian Kerr was too.

Cadden and Reynolds are definites. For some reason Stevie Saunders sticks in my mind although I might be completely making that up.

As an interesting aside, there's a couple of 'Well fans who haven't played for us. Rab Douglas and Lee Miller. Big Rab has a Motherwell tattoo, and back in the first McGhee era there's a photo of Lee Miller celebrating a goal for Hearts with a "Live The Dream" wristband clearly visible. Anyone know of any others?

1 hour ago, Heisenboab said:

Also had it in my head that Stephen McManus was a well fan but guy at my work swears that he supports Partick.

Spoke to him before and he said he supported Celtic as a boy saying “Celtic will always be my team,” but also said he was loving his time with us 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smiddy said:

one for older fans  wee junior burns from forgewood ,,, big well fan , and also scored the winner for us at ibrox  and upset his da big drew a true blue 

To everyone on the terraces (or at least me and my mates), he will always be Junior Bones.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

To everyone on the terraces (or at least me and my mates), he will always be Junior Bones.

wee yin u wouldn't know him now ,heez still got the wee bowly  legs but heez not skinny now he looks like an orange on 2 cocktail sticks hahaha a speak to him very regularly heez been ma pal for 30 odd years a ran about with his older bro 

43 minutes ago, smiddy said:

wee yin u wouldn't know him now ,heez still got the wee bowly  legs but heez not skinny now he looks like an orange on 2 cocktail sticks hahaha a speak to him very regularly heez been ma pal for 30 odd years a ran about with his older bro 

So doesn't look like this any more?

juniorburns.jpg