Scottish Premiership Game 29 : Aberdeen (H) 03/04/18 19:45

ECOSSE1991

The game will only be off if the pitch is unplayable or the roads and pavements outside the stadium are too dangerous to navigate safely.  Not impossible but it would take a pretty severe weather event and bad timing for either to happen.

According to Netweather.tv we could see a 1 in 10 year snow fall this week,  with minus 9 windchill during the game. That is seriously cold and I've experienced that in the Cairngorms, it's brutal, no footballer should be expected to play in that, particularly a goalkeeper with Carson feeling it the most as the 'Dons goalie will be the busier :)

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

Didn't realise the game was live on Sky.  That'll be a work from home Wednesday, then.

Is it? Didnt realise that either. Goodstuff. Will save a long drive in advance of Hearts cup tie.

The forecast for Wednesday is showing a lot of snow all down the eastern side of Scotland. It wouldn't surprise me if the effect on travel puts the game off.

It always amazes me though when there are travel warnings on tv and radio and announcements that you should only travel if essential to do so and yet there are still football games on. To me and many others, travel is essential if the game's on!

21 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Do the SPFL ever cancel games if travel is an issue? Aberdeen will no doubt come down the night before and stay locally. The fans aren't usually given a second thought. 

There was an instance around 7 or 8 years ago where they took the decision to cancel a full card because of the weather. I can't recollect whether that was solely down to the weather or whether travel was a factor.

I generally miss the first game in December due to a commitment in London each year and I was thoroughly delighted when the news came through!

SKY will have a big say on whether the game goes ahead or not, if the weather goes downhill.

Remember Boxing Day a few years ago when we played Rangers at Fir Park in the middle of the last REALLY cold spell that we had. Burst pipes in the East Stand toilets and all sorts of stuff flowing out of them down the stairs and on to the track. I can remember thinking that day, that the only reason that game went ahead was because SKY were already set up and ready to go. But, to be fair to them SKY paid the (pittance of) money for the rights and could make us play on the moon at 2.30am on a Sunday morning, if they wanted.

Just checked there....that game was on 26th December 2010.

17 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not quite sure on what their position would be TBH.  Presumably Police Scotland could overrule them if their was any disagreement?   

I was thinking more about if the Clubs pro-actively used a bit of common sense when it came to travelling fans etc.

But yes, Police Scotland would have the final say

I think common sense will prevail by the parties involved if the foul weather comes to pass.  However we can all envisage a situation where the weather is shocking and travelling conditions  are very poor (resulting in a low attendance) but a TV company is keen for the game to go ahead as the armchair audience would be maximised. 

The coldest games i've ever been  to are three midweek away games we lost  one nil when McCall took over. Celtic when McCourt scored a deflection off Tom Hateley's arse. St Johnstone with the bizarre pen given against Craigan for facing the wrong way. Dundee United when  Humphrey missed a sitter in the last minute to equalise.

2 hours ago, Big Stall said:

The transport minister is warning against travel if you are caught in the amber areas. The amber areas include Aberdeen and all the way down. 

If he is saying that, I'm not sure how the game can go ahead.

It doesn't seem to have stopped games in the past. I remember the cup game at Dundee before this season's there was really bad snow in the central belt but none in Dundee so the game went ahead. 

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Scottish Premiership Game 33 :Aberdeen (H) 03/04/18 19:45
  • Yabba's Turd featured this topic