Top 6?

CoF

I posted before the Killie game that top 6 was absolutely dead if we lost however with Hearts drawing with Ross County that weekend then getting beat at Ibrox we're now only 3 points behind Levein's team. Do folk think it's possible?

Here's our fixtures:

Aberdeen (H), Accies (A), Celtic (H), Rangers (H), St Johnstone (A).

Hearts:

Kilmarnock (H), Hibs (A), Partick (H), Dundee (A), Aberdeen (H).

It's a long shot with us still to play Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers however they're all at Fir Park and we're currently 3rd in the 'home form' league this season. Hearts games vs Kilmarnock, Hibs and Aberdeen are almost just as tough as those three. 

I could see both teams picking up 7-9 points  in the run in which unfortunately wouldn't be enough for us to claw the deficit back but it's good going into these games with the possibility still there.

Just looked up the remaining fixtures before the split

Killie

Hearts (a)

St Johnstone (h)

Ross Co (h)

Accies (a)

Rangers (h)

Accies (h)

Patrick (a)

Hearts

Killie. (H)

Hibs (a)

Patrick (h)

Dundee (a)

Aberdeen (h)

Is there more chance of getting above Hearts ??

Will be very difficult either way in my opinion

7th place and with the runs we've had in both cups I'd be delighted with that, if we can finish higher than our 9th place finish of last season I view that as progress.   We'd probably be a bit higher up if we were not for the disastrous run we had in December.   Usually if you get 40+ points you can breathe easy of relegation so 2 more wins would get us there.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Given last year's efforts, I'll be delighted if we just stay away from the playoffs around the time of split.

I have a suspicion Killie's run is about to end, but that might just be wishful thinking.

Pretty much my view too.  I don't really think we'll make the top 6 but yes, I can can see Killie's run coming to an end shortly.  They've done very well to be fair but they were lucky against us and also against Hibs.  I've just seen the penalty and it was a ludicrous decision.  To go on a run like Killie's you have to be a decent team but that in itself is not enough you have to have good luck and of late they've had that in spadefuls.  That can't last.

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Pretty much my view too.  I don't really think we'll make the top 6 but yes, I can can see Killie's run coming to an end shortly.  They've done very well to be fair but they were lucky against us and also against Hibs.  I've just seen the penalty and it was a ludicrous decision.  To go on a run like Killie's you have to be a decent team but that in itself is not enough you have to have good luck and of late they've had that in spadefuls.  That can't last.

We absolutely battered Hibs on Saturday of the last 60 minutes.

Think we had 21 shots on goal. Not many teams will have 58% possession against that Hibs midfield either. 

Penalty was soft but we should have scored 4 or 5 in the second half. Keeper had a blinder. 

22 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Penalty was soft but we should have scored 4 or 5 in the second half. Keeper had a blinder. 

That's still the sort of luck you get when you're on a good run, though. Every team has days where they're all over the opposition but the ball just isn't going in the net. When their luck's in, they get a dodgy penalty instead. When it's not, the other team nips up the park and scores with their only shot of the game.

Not too fussed about the top 6 finish this year as no doubt we would end up with another 2 away games against the ugly sisters and unless we win the Scottish cup no chance of Europe. So a  nice comfy bottom 6  finish in no danger of relegation or playoffs would do me.  Plus we might get Accies at Fir park last game to pump them and send them down.

• Like 1

While top six would be brilliant, seventh would have to be seen as progress. Throw in a cup final, and, fingers crossed for Sunday, a good run in the Scottish Cup, and we could seriously claim to be heading in the right direction, Given the fixtures left before the split, that would look like the best we can hope for.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The African said:

While top six would be brilliant, seventh would have to be seen as progress. Throw in a cup final, and, fingers crossed for Sunday, a good run in the Scottish Cup, and we could seriously claim to be heading in the right direction, 

All of the above, plus a big chunk of debt paid off and over 2400 Well Society members would make it a pretty strong season.

6 of our 10 wins this season have been against the bottom 4 clubs.  2 others were against teams that were really struggling at the beginning of the season (Hearts, Kilmarnock).

That leaves the away win to Aberdeen and the home win against St. Johnstone.

We don't seem to suggest to me that we are  a Top 6 standard team. 

Just now, weeyin said:

Aye, beating teams when they're not playing well should definitely not count as a real win.

Is that what I said?

In fact it's the complete opposite of what I said.

Can we beat teams that are playing well - seems not. 

If you have 1 win against a Top 6 team over 27 matches that suggests you aren't Top 6 standard but each to their own.