Fir Park improvements - New scoreboard,PA, East stand roof and more...

Toxteth O'Grady

Good to see recognition for the pitch. Not sure how closely you can look at the results although the general outcome of the survey will provide a fair indication. 

As it's based on player votes they will have mainly played on pitches in their division (cup games excepted) and will have therefore voted for one of those. If a pitch is a stand-out in that division, possibly Stirling or Hampden, it will win most of the votes from that division. Similarly Accies' pitch stands out for the wrong reasons in our division. 

Perhaps Stirling are deservedly top ranking- I don't know as I haven't seen them all but I doubt many players have either. It did surprise me to see Hampden as high though. 

16 hours ago, weeyin said:

Accies was actually ranked the worst pitch in Scotland - not just in the top flight. They are replacing it with a new 4G effort.

4G or 4th Generation is a marketing gimmick. In truth there is no such thing, Reality is 3G or 3rd Generation having many variations approved by FIFA and their like.

1 hour ago, daver said:

Good to see recognition for the pitch. Not sure how closely you can look at the results although the general outcome of the survey will provide a fair indication. 

As it's based on player votes they will have mainly played on pitches in their division (cup games excepted) and will have therefore voted for one of those. If a pitch is a stand-out in that division, possibly Stirling or Hampden, it will win most of the votes from that division. Similarly Accies' pitch stands out for the wrong reasons in our division. 

Perhaps Stirling are deservedly top ranking- I don't know as I haven't seen them all but I doubt many players have either. It did surprise me to see Hampden as high though. 

I had the same thought Dave.  Were players comparing like with like?  How many pros played on every single senior clubs pitches? 

3 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

4G or 4th Generation is a marketing gimmick. In truth there is no such thing, Reality is 3G or 3rd Generation having many variations approved by FIFA and their like.

I'm sure you're right - I was just copying from The Scotsman article.

I have certainly never seen a plastic pitch that plays anything like grass regardless of how many Gs it has.

Hopefully thats not the case as the last thing we need is another astroturf park in the top flight,all clubs have ongoing costs when it comes too there pitch,sticking down a shitty plastic one should never have been allowed as the solution.they made clubs spend money on making there stadiums all seater and then your forced too induce watching games on the likes of hamiltons pitch,where quite frankly you would get more of an even game playing in morrison's car park.

From the article I read about the pitches (in The Scotsman, I think) it did say Livi was laying plastic.

In a separate article Fraser Wishart was saying, in the top flight at least, the league should maybe start listening to players and only play on grass. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

From the article I read about the pitches (in The Scotsman, I think) it did say Livi was laying plastic.

In a separate article Fraser Wishart was saying, in the top flight at least, the league should maybe start listening to players and only play on grass. 

He must be furious about FIFA allowing the World Cup to be played on plastic...

On 04/06/2018 at 6:09 PM, Kmcalpin said:

A great and deserved accolade for the hard work and money our club and  staff have invested in our pitch.  They've turned it from one of Scotland's worst to one of its best and the improvement is there for all to see.  

Not surprisingly Accies was rated worst in the top flight and they are replacing theirs this summer, although I'm not sure by what exactly.   Quite shocked really at the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen, who despite having  far larger budgets than us have much poorer pitches due to lack of investment.  

Hearts apparently going for the synthetic/grass hybrid next season. Be interesting to see how that compares.

A lot of the big English clubs have hybrid pitches (Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Everton etc.) as well as European clubs like Barca. If Hearts' uses the same method (which is 100% grass meshed with plastic fibres) it should be good.

I read earlier that Accies are investing £750k in a new 3G pitch.  Don't know how they can afford that as just a few months ago they reportedly lost £800K in an online scam and the club was in dire financial straits.   It just doesn't tie up.  Their very articulate Chairman Les Gray said just a year or two back that their pitch  was first class and would stand comparison with any in Scotland.  If that is the case why rip it up?

Accies certainly have a sweet deal with the local council to rent the offices in their stadium. I believe it's defunct now, but they also received a chunk of change for the naming rights on their stand.

A friend of mine who works for a company who sells artificial surfaces explained the difference between 3G and 4G to me as:-

3g is made entirely from polythene based products and has no rigidity so needs the black infill to keep it erect.

4G is the same but has a nylon based root which let's it spring up so doesn't need as much infill.

An old boy apparently once asked him how you keep it short to which he replied you cut it with a lawnmower with plastic blades.

17 hours ago, santheman said:

A friend of mine who works for a company who sells artificial surfaces explained the difference between 3G and 4G to me as:-

3g is made entirely from polythene based products and has no rigidity so needs the black infill to keep it erect.

4G is the same but has a nylon based root which let's it spring up so doesn't need as much infill.

An old boy apparently once asked him how you keep it short to which he replied you cut it with a lawnmower with plastic blades.

My sister-in-law "hoovers" her's - and I kid you not :huh:

I'm late to the game here, I know, but I was just watching the video about the pitch work this close season and discovered they are taking away the stone wall for safety reasons.

Makes sense, of course - especially on a pitch as close to the stands as ours - but it will be a shame to see them go.