Fir Park improvements - New scoreboard,PA, East stand roof and more...

Toxteth O'Grady

I grew up watching from the south enclosure so there's a wee bit of nostalgia there for me.

If the walls are going on safety grounds then the H+S guys must see one side of the ground as safer than the other! I would have thought the walls prevent players going crashing onto the concrete steps (never a good combination with studded boots).

46 minutes ago, daver said:

If the walls are going on safety grounds then the H+S guys must see one side of the ground as safer than the other! I would have thought the walls prevent players going crashing onto the concrete steps (never a good combination with studded boots).

That is my reaction too, not unless we intend to remove the concrete steps too?   

48 minutes ago, daver said:

I grew up watching from the south enclosure so there's a wee bit of nostalgia there for me.

If nothing else, I'd guess there'll be some new advertising hoardings replacing the wall, on match days at least. (Thought they'd mentioned something about covering up the steps or something as well, but could be imagining that.)

I only remember being in the enclosure a handful of times myself, but it's certainly a shame to lose another "old" part of the ground. 

Maybe they’ll just permanently replace it and the East Stand wall with 100 stewards holding an orange plastic fence...
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

That is my reaction too, not unless we intend to remove the concrete steps too?   

We've got a new sponsorship with 'Ryze' Trampoline centre, I believe, who are going to be providing some foam pits to fall into should a player overshoot the pitch.

7 hours ago, numpty said:

Between the pitch and the bottom of the steps, yes. The steps aren't going away though, afaik.

I was thinking the bottom steps get buried ,  Im sure there was a video , where it was mentioned they would level from the pitch across with astro carpet? which would mean a couple of extra metres run off  for players then the steps.

I see St Mirren are receiving a six figure sum for the renaming of their stadium in a four year deal, what are people's thoughts in this if the club went down this avenue? I remember we were offered a deal around 2008ish to rename Fir Park 'The Real Radio Arena' but John Boyle knocked it back. Personally I'm quite a traditionalist and would hate change but I suppose the additional funds can't be sniffed at. 

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

If it was like the 750k Accies got, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Only need it for a season or two to help clear our debt and then decide after that if we'd want to renew the deal.

Not averse to that as it’ll remain ‘up by’ to most.

i’d query everything sHamilton claim to have secured... another company that went bust if it wasn’t under investigation by the authorities. Evidence now showing they’re in tune to the bank for their latest enterprise.

5 hours ago, Kat said:

I see St Mirren are receiving a six figure sum for the renaming of their stadium in a four year deal, what are people's thoughts in this if the club went down this avenue? I remember we were offered a deal around 2008ish to rename Fir Park 'The Real Radio Arena' but John Boyle knocked it back. Personally I'm quite a traditionalist and would hate change but I suppose the additional funds can't be sniffed at. 

For me if some company is willing to offer the club  wads of cash for a few years stadium naming rights then bite their hand off. It won't matter what it's called as 99.999% of fans will still refer to it as fir park, so as dire straits once said, it's money for nothing.

I agree. Every man and their dug will still refer to it is Fir Park so if a company want to throw half a million quid our way for 3 years naming rights which will help clear the debts  that’d be ideal. Once the contract is up we can go back to good old Fir Park. 

I'm sure Dundee have done it in such a way that they've managed to still incorporate Dens Park in the title 'The Fuckknowswhatitscalled Stadium at Dens Park'. That would be a bit more palatable.

Our neighbours across the M8 have also agreed a deal recently that sees a local taxi company secure naming rights of their stadium. It nudges into figures across five years with the option of a further five years at its conclusion. I think there's a fairly extensive uptake of advertising space inside the ground included also.

But it all depends what you are being offered, for how long and what's involved. What might work for one team might not necessarily be suitable for another.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Regarding the re-naming of the stadium. I would be careful what we wish for. The team across the M8 have linked up with a company who are always in the news for alleged money laundering ; forcing other small companies to the wall and links to some of the well known Glasgow crime families. I can live without that sort of investment

• 3 weeks later...