Scottish Premiership Game 30 :Celtic (H) 18/03/18 14:15

Yabba's Turd

I remember the story a few years back of a ref called Jim Hardie from Hamilton who was refereeing at Cliftonhill ( Albion Rovers )Before the game he noticed one set of goal posts were tilting i.e. Higher at one end ,he measured it and sure enough it was so he called the game off . Unfortunately for Jim because the 20 refs who hadn't noticed the difference and not to make them look stupid he was the one that was demoted ,that's yer SFA for you .

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Could have been worse. Kirpe might just have been booked, then Celtic beat us with a goal in the last 5 minutes.

Regarding the standard of refereeing, I agree it needs to improve, but not sure how you go about that - at least in the short term. There's only a small pool available, so they are all "guaranteed a place in the starting 11" as it were, and can't easily be replaced. It's not like there's a dozen better refs sitting on the bench waiting for their chance.

Cheating is as a big a problem in our game as incompetent refs so a short term fix to improve the standard of decision making is to come down hard on players that try to con the ref. It's the only way to help our already below standard refs. 

When it comes to diving the risks vs gains are at opposite ends of the scale. Yellow card for the chance to win a penalty and put the opposition down to ten men? Nay bother.

It's such an easy fix as well. Dives and exaggeration can be tricky to judge so lets stick to a yellow card (just in case) and every case gets referred to  the CCP (Cheating Cunts Panel) who if on reviewing the evidence agree it's a blatant dive it's a two game ban. Anything that's missed by the ref at the time also goes there. There we go - Sinclair and Brown shown up for what they are. 

The FA have tried it this season with their Successful Deception of a Match Official offence, however appear to be utterly inconsistent in applying it. It needs to be taken seriously. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Yeah, the Charles Dunne and Kipre ones that were rescinded, plus the Kipre One in the cup final are all clearly wrong.

I’d add the Trevor Carson one too. It was a very tight call whether it was in or out the box, I’ve seen pictures that “prove” both, but it’s also debatable whether it was DOGSO, not sure also if intent is a factor in a handball under the new rules?

Im giving him 1 correct, 1 very debatable and 3 wrong .

My thoughts exactly.

I agree with other posters about the poor standards of refereeing and I'd go so far as to say the current crop, as a whole, are the poorest  I've seen in decades of going to Fir Park.  What really gets me is the amount of inconsistency and we saw plenty of that last Sunday.  Why do referees randomly pull up or punish players for diving; stealing yards at shies and free kicks; and foul throws.   We see these misdemeanours week in week out but its only every so often is someone pulled up. 

In the most of the examples sbcmfc quotes above, Craig Thomson was either unsighted or well away from the action but despite that makes a very quick decision. 

1 hour ago, CoF said:

Cheating is as a big a problem in our game as incompetent refs so a short term fix to improve the standard of decision making is to come down hard on players that try to con the ref. It's the only way to help our already below standard refs. 

When it comes to diving the risks vs gains are at opposite ends of the scale. Yellow card for the chance to win a penalty and put the opposition down to ten men? Nay bother.

It's such an easy fix as well. Dives and exaggeration can be tricky to judge so lets stick to a yellow card (just in case) and every case gets referred to  the CCP (Cheating Cunts Panel) who if on reviewing the evidence agree it's a blatant dive it's a two game ban. Anything that's missed by the ref at the time also goes there. There we go - Sinclair and Brown shown up for what they are. 

The FA have tried it this season with their Successful Deception of a Match Official offence, however appear to be utterly inconsistent in applying it. It needs to be taken seriously. 

One of  the biggest problems  we have is pundits/ managers protecting/defending cheats......"he felt a touch" scenarios ....and they justify the cheating as acceptable........and  the authorities  need to start dealing with this retrospectively and stamp it out 

in relation to Thomson .......I'm afraid we have a group of referees that appear to be untouchable as they make shocking decisions week in week out and nothing happens.......the worrying factor on Sunday was the speed that the red card came out his pocket......he never locked at or considered even consulting with his assistants...or does he have an issue with black Motherwell players.....could you imagine the furore if it happened vice versa and Brown got sent off ?????

Would love to have a gander at his match report to how he justified a straight red card and his wording of the incident.......and what sort of response he got in relation to his shocking decision  

which brings me back to the media......the subsequent reporting of the incident and Browns (lack of in their eyes) involvement ..... The push by him just sums him up but his reaction ffs  .......loved the sniper video .....again is cheating.....but hey ho......lets just ignore it ......more focus on the ref ......nothing about the champions captain........red card now rescinded...........and we move on ........And wait until it happens again .........probably a week on Saturday 

As above, I don’t think there’s any scope in the rules to retrospectively punish Brown.

Not really a will to do it either I’d imagine.

So would’ve made sense just to say Kipre was cleared, end of story.

Incidentally I’d imagine Brown will plan his next booking (which I believe will take him over the points threshold) to ensure he serves his suspension before the split and is available for the Rangers game post-split.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, superward said:

Brown just served his first suspension for 6  league yellows in February (before an Old Firm game). So I don't think he is due another for a good while.

Must’ve got mixed up, I’d thought I’d seen somewhere he was 1 away again...

Checked and his booking v Killie last month meant he was banned, but back in time for the Aberdeen and Rangers games. Not been booked in a domestic game since.

This might have been touched on before...

I'm not sure how Kipre can get a yellow added.

Taking away the fact he's already been punished - And I'm maybe over-simplifying here, but Kipre was 'charged' with  Violent Conduct - A sending-off offence.

There aren't degrees of violent conduct. Where has the yellow come from? You can't downgrade it from 'serious' violent conduct to 'regular' violent conduct etc.

It's a red or nothing.

Probably looking way too much into it, but seems like a fudge to me.

Anyway...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richie said:

This might have been touched on before...

I'm not sure how Kipre can get a yellow added.

Taking away the fact he's already been punished - And I'm maybe over-simplifying here, but Kipre was 'charged' with  Violent Conduct - A sending-off offence.

There aren't degrees of violent conduct. Where has the yellow come from? You can't downgrade it from 'serious' violent conduct to 'regular' violent conduct etc.

It's a red or nothing.

Probably looking way too much into it, but seems like a fudge to me.

Anyway...

These are the questions the club should have been asking.

Brown can’t be touched as compliance officer can only look at possible red cards or unfair red cards . What Brown done was 100% a booking imo but CO cant give out bookings in they circumstances . Unfortunately for Kipre he can bring a red down to a yellow if incident worthy of a yellow which once again I agree could be argued was the case . The rules stink when CO gets involved as his hands are tied and again imo both players should have been booked but because of the incompetence of Thompson ,Brown gets off Scott free and Kipre suffers twice by losing 50 minutes of that game and getting a caution added to his points tally .The other game this happened was Rangers v Hibs when Jack and Stokes stuck heads in each other and Jack was sent off .CO downgraded Jack,s red to yellow and Stokes who had already been booked got off Scott free when should have had another yellow which would have meant a red as booked twice .The problem is not the CO it’s the idiots who give him the rules he has to follow and obviously these rules help 1 of the guilty ones get off Scott free while the other although reds downgraded still suffer twice during game and after words .

• Like 1

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Scottish Premiership Game 30 :Celtic (H) 18/03/18 14:15