Scottish Premiership Game 30 :Celtic (H) 18/03/18 14:15

Yabba's Turd

If I was being honest would say not a penalty imo but if Sinclair gets 1 for a hand touching him in Cup Final then that was was a stonewaller only Mr Thompson can explain how 1 small touch is penalty yet 2 hands round him and grabbing his jersey is not . In both instances players went down on their own but don’t blame Main as he felt touch so went down and according to St Brendan it’s ok to do that but unfortunately we’re not Celtic so different rules apply .All I want is same rules for both teams so if a pen in final that’s a pen yesterday even though imo neither were pens . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Problem with appeals is that you have to prove that the referee's decision was definitely incorrect. And often that requires the ref to review the incident and agree he got it wrong.

I think an Appeal Panel of three is chosen from a pool of referees/ex referees, former players and one other.  You are right in that the referee's view, as taken into acount by the panel,  carries more weight than it should i.e. if the referee changes his mind or not.  If the Appeal is deemed to be independent, fair and just then Thomson's explanation should be given equal weight to the evidence submitted by the appellant, in this case, our club.  However I'm not sure that will happen. 

Two things stand out for me about yesterday's incident.   Firstly, his view of the incident wasn't clear but yet he quickly and unhesitatingly issued a red card.  If I was on the panel I'd be asking him about his view of the incident, whilst replaying it on a screen.  Secondly, he clearly indicated a stamp and I'd want to know if he still considered it to be a stamp by Kipre .  Presumably thats why Kipre was given the card?  

21 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Two things stand out for me about yesterday's incident.   Firstly, his view of the incident wasn't clear but yet he quickly and unhesitatingly issued a red card.  If I was on the panel I'd be asking him about his view of the incident, whilst replaying it on a screen.  Secondly, he clearly indicated a stamp and I'd want to know if he still considered it to be a stamp by Kipre .  Presumably thats why Kipre was given the card?  

These factors expose  his decision.

He obviously guessed at a non existent stamp.

He even motions a downwards stamp.

Kiprés (very slight) motion was sideways at best and nothing like a forceful downward motion.

Thomson has noticed Brown hitting the deck,  gone straight for the red imagining what's happened and his decision has subsequently been outed as utter guesswork.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Richie said:

He even motions a downwards stamp.

I wouldn't put too much weight on the fact that he indicated a "stamp", unfortunately... he'll probably just explain that away as just meaning "you lashed  out with your foot".  He saw they were both lying on the ground after the tackle, so even if he was just guessing, surely even he must've realised Kipré couldn't have actually "stamped" on anyone from that position.

I think its good we are appealing this decision.

Other than the fact I think Cedric  was very harshly dealt with it will highlight Browns part in it all.

His initial tackle could be described as "robust" at best and could be considered to be "out of control". He then compounds that by pushing Cedric in the face. Now, Im not saying that in itself should be a red card but you've seen them given. 

Only then does Cedric flick his foot out in Browns direction. I would consider that provocation and worthy of a viewing by the compliance officer.

My only concern is that Thomson might try and say the stamp occurs when Cedric is on his feet at the initial tackle. Having watched it several times I dont see how you can say that but you never know.

Re the pen claim. Main is clearly being fouled and anywhere else on the park he would get it. But you just dont get them in the box and Id be really disappointed if it was given against us. That said, we have had numerous really soft decisions given against us this season, so I understand why folk feel aggrieved.

We will really have to stop Cedric waving that big feather against that scummy shower as he is clearly far too violent with it. It really is a shame

that we don't allow natural ballplayers like Brown to express himself.

Edited by well_said
Scummy shower

1 hour ago, santheman said:

Hate to say it but if Kipre doesn't flick his foot out and make contact Brown doesn't react and Thomson has no decision to make.

I suspect that Thomson had made his mind up to red card Kipre before he flicks his foot out. 

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

They're accountable in as much as they can be dropped down to lower league games. The problem is that unless there are better refs to replace them, we end up with even worse.

It's not like there are world class officials waiting in the wings,  being blocked by the SFA. 

How do we know their are no better refs, get rid of some of the incompetent fuds like Thompson, collum and Dallas and promote some of the grade 2 refs to grade 1 and see how they perform. 

But we all know the SFA will do feck all as usual and we will all have to suffer the incompetence.  Once again all the focus is not on the team and how they had a brilliant defensive performance but on the useless fuds we have for referee's in the premiership.

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I suspect that Thomson had made his mind up to red card Kipre before he flicks his foot out. 

Do you mean by this that, Thomson had decided that he was going to send Kipre off for the initial challenge or that he was going to send Kipre off before a ball was kicked?

I still think that the former could be the case. Can a referee go back and send a player off after playing advantage?  

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/why-the-referee-was-wrong-to-send-off-cedric-kipre-against-celtic-1-4708589
"Perhaps he had a deceiving look and saw something which wasn’t actually there. Otherwise I’m at a complete loss to explain his decision. "
Excellent piece and from an ex referee at that, which also helps to debunk this nonsensical theory it was for the initial challenge

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, star sail said:

Do you mean by this that, Thomson had decided that he was going to send Kipre off for the initial challenge or that he was going to send Kipre off before a ball was kicked?

I meant the original challenge and even thats being kind to Thomson.  Just can't see how the slight foot flick looks anything like a stamp. 

Don’t know if anyone else watches Sky Sports News “Ref Watch” on Monday mornings? Ex EPL ref Dermot Gallagher reviews many of the weekend’s more controversial refereeing decisions - predominantly in the EPL. Interestingly this morning they included the Cedric/Borstal Bhoy incident. I must say I wasn’t too impressed with Gallagher’s take on the outcome. His opinion was that Thomson had red carded Cedric because “he went over the ball in the tackle”. I was at the game and also recorded the match and I’ve reviewed the incident many times. Like others here I’m convinced Thomson has allowed play to continue after the much used cliche “coming together” and produces the red card after he thinks Cedric “stamps” on Brown.....which of course Cedric doesn’t! I just hope that the review panel don’t decide after hearing Thomson’s story to uphold the red card. There’s plenty of time until Thursday’s hearing to concoct a defence for Thomson’s rash, knee-jerk and totally incorrect decision.

Don’t know if anyone else watches Sky Sports News “Ref Watch” on Monday mornings? Ex EPL ref Dermot Gallagher reviews many of the weekend’s more controversial refereeing decisions - predominantly in the EPL. Interestingly this morning they included the Cedric/Borstal Bhoy incident. I must say I wasn’t too impressed with Gallagher’s take on the outcome. His opinion was that Thomson had red carded Cedric because “he went over the ball in the tackle”. I was at the game and also recorded the match and I’ve reviewed the incident many times. Like others here I’m convinced Thomson has allowed play to continue after the much used cliche “coming together” and produces the red card after he thinks Cedric “stamps” on Brown.....which of course Cedric doesn’t! I just hope that the review panel don’t decide after hearing Thomson’s story to uphold the red card. There’s plenty of time until Thursday’s hearing to concoct a defence for Thomson’s rash, knee-jerk and totally incorrect decision.
If he tries to come up with that as an explanation he is a lying toad.

If he had been seen to wave play on then maybe just maybe he could say that but refs are instructed NOT to play advantage when they deem a foul a red card offence.

His stamping action to justify the card hangs him out to dry as neither the tackle or the aftermath contained anything remotely resembling a stamp.

If red card is not rescinded then the baw is well and truly burst

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pronounced Kenyrd Skunyrd said:

There’s plenty of time until Thursday’s hearing to concoct a defence for Thomson’s rash, knee-jerk and totally incorrect decision.

I'm not so sure. Our official statement says Kipre was sent off for violent conduct which is an off the ball offence so absolutely nothing to do with the tackle.  That must be in the ref's report otherwise clubs wouldn't know what they were appealing.

I'll be utterly astonished if this isn't chucked out. 

6 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

Someone mentioned that the 4th official could have been involved for the sending off and guess who that was Stephen Finnie it would be very interesting to find out which team supports!!

I think the speed Thomson produces the red card, he has had no time to take any instruction. I d say it was his decision alone

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Scottish Premiership Game 30 :Celtic (H) 18/03/18 14:15