Nostalgia Mwell v Killie

Clackscat

A wee trawl through you tube came up with this cracker.....so much goalmouth incident and great goal line clearances from old rubber legs himself. If we get Killie in the semi final would love to think we will get this level of excitement. Find 11mins and sit back and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

John McKeever there who, after an admitedly excellent game against Dundee Utd in the League Cup, the Daily Record crowned as the next Gerd Müller.

Brian McLaughlin was a great player to watch. When he was on, he was untouchable. Had a bit of a temper too and wasn't averse to odd shenanigan.

Howard Sameroff showing his handling skills early on in that clip. In a era when the 2 subs typically wore 12 and 14, Cleland went with 13 - which I always thought suited him.

Had some good times watching that Motherwell side.

Great to see the boy with the macaroons and the kia-ora get involved too!

Loved some of the "robust" tackling, e.g. McDicken and McLaughlin, without folk rolling around in feigned agony. A very quick hammer and tongs match with The Incredible Rubber Man at number 3.

Enjoyed being able to switch ends in those days: not so much dodging the flying Guinness flagons at some of the Hearts games when things got towsy. When you think of that now  it was very dangerous.

5 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Enjoyed being able to switch ends in those days: not so much dodging the flying Guinness flagons at some of the Hearts games when things got towsy. When you think of that now  it was very dangerous.

Very dangerous.  I vaguely remember getting a bit mixed up at half time in a game against Hearts. Bottle of Four Crown in the hand and singing well songs, but soon realised I was in the Hearts side of the fence. Pretty sure I recall that the gate would be closed at start of second half, so I was stranded in there. My memory of events ends now, but I must half escaped some how, as almost 40 years later I am still alive. haha,  Happy days.

uncle showed me a crinkly old video of a 3-0 cup-tie vs Killie in mid 70's I think. Several moons ago, so I may be wrong.  Pettigrew or Davidson hit the post and the other scored rebound, the Shed was packed and looked brilliant

On 13 March 2018 at 8:07 PM, Lord Tanamo said:

uncle showed me a crinkly old video of a 3-0 cup-tie vs Killie in mid 70's I think. Several moons ago, so I may be wrong.  Pettigrew or Davidson hit the post and the other scored rebound, the Shed was packed and looked brilliant

That was the round (possibly the old third round in 1977).......  before we beat St Midden 2-1 in the most packed FP I've been at outside the old squirm.......Fergie Fergie shut yer mouth !!!!!!

Unfortunately we drew rangers at Castlegrey skull in the quarters and lost 2-0 to 2 Bobby Mckean  goals if my memory serves me right

Wonder if anyone remembers the Scottish Cup Q/F v Killie in March 1970 @ Fir Park. This was my first ever ‘Well match aged 10 and my uncle took me to the main stand. Hopes were high that we would make the semi final but unfortunately a single goal by Ross Mathie ended our run. I remember wee Tommy McLean was on the wing for Killie and that there was a bit of crowd trouble during the match with the usual white hankies being waved in the big crowd to attract the attention of ambulance men. A few bloodied guys helped out of the terracing and over the wall. All a bit scary for a 10 year old but great memories. I’ve still got the programme somewhere...priced 1/-!!

• Like 1

On 3/20/2018 at 12:09 AM, Pronounced Kenyrd Skunyrd said:

Wonder if anyone remembers the Scottish Cup Q/F v Killie in March 1970 @ Fir Park. This was my first ever ‘Well match aged 10 and my uncle took me to the main stand. Hopes were high that we would make the semi final but unfortunately a single goal by Ross Mathie ended our run. I remember wee Tommy McLean was on the wing for Killie and that there was a bit of crowd trouble during the match with the usual white hankies being waved in the big crowd to attract the attention of ambulance men. A few bloodied guys helped out of the terracing and over the wall. All a bit scary for a 10 year old but great memories. I’ve still got the programme somewhere...priced 1/-!!

Oh yeah - great memory - particularly the crowd trouble. Not so much the result. Was supposed to meet my uncle and cousin, who had travelled up from Kilmarnock for the game - but never did due to the size of the crowd. Like you this 11 year old was crapping it while the fighting was at it's height - and believe me this was real 'crowd-trouble' toe-to-toe stuff, not the 'pavement dancing' most of us were used to seeing in the '80s. Some of the games particularly versus Killie and Hearts had a real sinister feel to them - pre fence obviously.