Scottish Cup Final v Celtic (Hampden) 19/05/18 15:00

something else

Not going to comment on home support. At end of day I was there today to witness incredible celebration after McShug goal. So pleased for him. Takes a lot of stick and yes first half was poor but never shirks a challenge and winning goal a peach. Also history made today as first time a ref has booked a ref. I refer to when dallas booked Naismith

3 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Yep maybe I am but your summed up totally with your Pious prick comment. I'm sure majority of well fans agree. what the fuk does pious even mean. away out the back into your shed and play with your train set ya fanny

LOL - What's wrong with a train set and a shed? Will that be a majority of the ones who stayed away - couldn't care less who agrees or disagrees.

44 minutes ago, stevie_mfc said:

I don’t understand the negativity surrounding the amount of well fans there today. For me there were a number of factors that had an effect on the crowd, the weather this week being the biggest one, totally understand why people wouldn’t want to risk travelling after the last few days. Add in the fact the game was live on BBC then it means people wouldn’t ‘miss’ the game if they decided not to go.  As for the Hearts support, fair play to them it was great, however they had to pre purchase tickets so had already paid the money for the game before the weather turned this week, I don’t believe for a min that the hearts crowd would have been anywhere near that size if it was a PATG game for them. 

Totally agree. They must have had around 4500 there which is a great turn-out but if it was pay at the gate I reckon there would only have been about 3000 (which would still have been a tremendous effort considering the conditions). Having already bought tickets pretty much makes your mind up although they did have some empty seats.

Although it was disappointing to see such a small home support I can understand it. I was surprised how little snow there was as there was a lot more in the part of Glasgow I live in and I really doubted I would make it to the game.

Tremendous way to finish the match though - I love getting one over on that mob!

A separate post from me on today's attendance.  A number of reasons for today's poor home crowd.  A generic reason to begin with.  None of the home teams in the 4 quarter finals attracted their average home crowds.  Celtic 18K yesterday;  Aberdeen 8.7K yesterday (home average 13-14K); and Rangers 33K today.  Fans are put off by having to pay extra for cup games end of.  

Today's game was on TV and that was always going to reduce the crowd. 

Finally the weather reduced our crowd by several hundred and Hearts probably by the same.  Before the beast from the east arrived I expected a crowd of 8,000 - 8,500 (with about 3,000 - 3,500 Well fans) and I reckon  that we'd have achieved that.   I know of about a dozen fans (including Al B it seems) who didn't travel because of weather conditions or transport problems.  There will have been far more. Not all Well fans live in Motherwell  or Hearts fans live in Edinburgh.  It snowed heavily and constantly where I live between 10.00 and about 15.00. A gritter got stuck just opposite our house this morning.  I just wasn't going to risk it.  

Maybe a technical question to end with.  Does anyone know if the recorded crowd of 7,564 included tickets sold but not used?  Looking at the South Stand on TV I was was very impressed with the Hearts fans but there were still a goodly number of empty seats in there.  I'd estimate their crowd at about 4,300ish, well short of the much quoted 4,800. 

• Like 1

Yes, let's  ignore a great result and start bickering about the turnout.

A big Hearts support turned out expecting to horse us. They didn't. 

Maybe the  tooth-grinding negativity of some on here drove a few of our lot away too. Someone should start a questionnaire.

Meanwhile, in other news, I thought bringing on Bowman was effective. Ciftci  just got crowded out  but Ryan started to win balls in the air and annoy the Hearts back line with his strength.

Why was Sclafferty not booked for clattering Aldred into the wall?

Fantastic result and just about deserved. Good jump about when McHugh hit the winner.

Get the thread updated to Semi Final please.

Good draw and decent chance to make it 2 finals in a season and possibly a spot in Europe. 

It has been discussed in depth on here and yes I agree all the reasons why it was a poor home crowd. But some comments are laughable. I met fans from Aberdeen and Borders who made it no problem. If you really wanted to go you would have been there regardless of weather etc.  Hearts are a bigger club by some distance but still rather embarrassing that they outnumber us in a cup home quarter final. 

Well done Robinson and the players. They deserve our total respect for cup performances this season. 11 games and 1 defeat is immense especially given the teams we have played. 

Heard Levein's post match comments having a moan...I paraphrase

Motherwell never really troubled us I never saw that coming We should have had a penalty......and the most telling comment of all..I was thinking about putting another forward on to try and win.. ....well thank fuk we have a manager that did exactly that with Frear and just didn't think about it.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Yes, let's  ignore a great result and start bickering about the turnout.

A big Hearts support turned out expecting to horse us. They didn't. 

Maybe the  tooth-grinding negativity of some on here drove a few of our lot away too. Someone should start a questionnaire.

Meanwhile, in other news, I thought bringing on Bowman was effective. Ciftci  just got crowded out  but Ryan started to win balls in the air and annoy the Hearts back line with his strength.

Why was Sclafferty not booked for clattering Aldred into the wall?

Agreed Manager played a blinder...we were under the cosh but then switching Tait into a back 4 plus Bowman on, then a positive attacking change with Frear coming on late. Great we have players like Tait and Cadden versatile enough to handle that

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, numpty said:

I only saw it on TV, but he hardly touched him... looked a lot worse than it was.

Most of the POD, including self,  wouldn't agree with you.

He'd be quite a good player if he could control his inner muppet.

I tried, and failed,  to give Naismith a clean slate from his Rangers days. Glad Campbell stood up to him.

Quite a day!  

I know Robinson was referring to McHugh when he made his remark about it being the stuff dreams are made of, but hey let's be honest was that finale not the kind of thing you sit and while a moment or two away daydreaming about when the situation allows?

It was a terrific first half throughout which we were well on top.  I can't say I felt that any apprehension that we were only one goal up, although the failure of McHugh to shoot, or put through one of his team-mates did appear an opportunity lost.

From what I've read and heard by the letter of the law it would appear Dallas has been correct to disallow Cadden's goal.  Clearly immense credit is due for the way he came to his decision in the blink of an eye. Despite having plenty more time to aid his decision making however he was well off the mark with several other of his calls. It seemed incomprehensible for example that yellow cards were being issued instantly to those in claret and amber whilst their opponents appeared to enjoy the luxury of being able to foul, be spoken to, foul a bit more and still avoid action.

Second half was altogether more tricky and the tie did seem to be slipping away from us for a time.  Again by all accounts it would appear that Dallas got the penalty correct. I am absolutely convinced however that by fair means or fouls Naismith was hitting the deck in the box no matter what kind of challenge Kipre made.

Carson making his weekly jaw-dropper seemed to change the momentum slightly.  I don't know if you could say it was a wake up call or whether down to the tweak in formation but at the very least we were giving as good as we were getting.

It was a fitting way to win any Cup tie and I'm pleased for McHugh. He has been much like himself since the turn of the year in particular and even goal apart he did very well in putting in such a comitted and disciplined performance despite being booked so early.

A bit different to how we won our Quarter Final earlier in the season, nowhere as emphatic but still a game that will live equally long in the memory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Most of the POD, including self,  wouldn't agree with you.

Mibbe, and I can see why because the initial full speed view from the POD camera looked bad. The replays from two different angles really didn't, though.

3 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

Agreed Manager played a blinder...we were under the cosh but then switching Tait into a back 4 plus Bowman on, then a positive attacking change with Frear coming on late. Great we have players like Tait and Cadden versatile enough to handle that

Yep, the much-maligned Frear gave the Hearts left-side something to think about too and these changes stopped Hearts momentum. At one stage I expected the inevitable late winner of McCall/McGhie days.

Hats off to Carson too: shades of Randolph.

30 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A separate post from me on today's attendance.  A number of reasons for today's poor home crowd.  A generic reason to begin with.  None of the home teams in the 4 quarter finals attracted their average home crowds.  Celtic 18K yesterday;  Aberdeen 8.7K yesterday (home average 13-14K); and Rangers 33K today.  Fans are put off by having to pay extra for cup games end of.  

Today's game was on TV and that was always going to reduce the crowd. 

Finally the weather reduced our crowd by several hundred and Hearts probably by the same.  Before the beast from the east arrived I expected a crowd of 8,000 - 8,500 (with about 3,000 - 3,500 Well fans) and I reckon  that we'd have achieved that.   I know of about a dozen fans (including Al B it seems) who didn't travel because of weather conditions or transport problems.  There will have been far more. Not all Well fans live in Motherwell  or Hearts fans live in Edinburgh.  It snowed heavily and constantly where I live between 10.00 and about 15.00. A gritter got stuck just opposite our house this morning.  I just wasn't going to risk it.  

Maybe a technical question to end with.  Does anyone know if the recorded crowd of 7,564 included tickets sold but not used?  Looking at the South Stand on TV I was was very impressed with the Hearts fans but there were still a goodly number of empty seats in there.  I'd estimate their crowd at about 4,300ish, well short of the much quoted 4,800. 

I still cant get out where I live with the car so that’s another two down who would have been there. The combination of factors was a one off today, it’s very unlikely we would see that again so can we just not concentrate on the great result and another semi at Hampden ?

• Like 1

Lafferty had 5 fouls given against him by half time and still didn`t get a booking. Naismith raises his hands to ? Campbell and only gets a booking.

Kipre  gave away a silly penalty but Dallas had given it before Naismith  had even hit the grass. I know folk have said we can`t always moan about referees but can anybody on here honestly remember any game this season when we could leave Fir Park and say the ref had a good game.

Watched Sportscene highlights and both pundits said Hearts deserved at least a draw !!!!! In the game I was watching Well bossed the first half and Hearts had a good 25 minutes after half time then we battled back into the game and thoroughly deserved to go into the semi draw.

Bring it on. Hampden  here we come (again)

Edited by real dosser

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Scottish Cup Semi Final V Aberdeen(Hampden) 14/04/18 12:15
  • Yabba's Turd featured this topic