Scottish Cup Final v Celtic (Hampden) 19/05/18 15:00

something else

15 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I think this is how we'll line up, but Bowman, Rose and Grimshaw may all be in for a nod over. Grimshaw is a prime example of being drafted in at the 11th hour. The reason I think he'll go for Frear is he offers an out ball and he has the speed and ability to use the pitch to punish.

I only opted for Ciftci up front as I think Robinson hopes he offers something and doesn't think he is daunted by the occasion. All of the above is based on fitness naturally which I'm not party to.

--------------  Carson -------------

---- Kipre - Aldred - Dunne ----

Tait ----------- Bigi -------- Frear

------ Cadden --- Campbell -----

--------- Main ---- Ciftci ---------

You might be right but who would take over McHugh's role there to break up play, put in tackles, chase and harry, and generally protect the defence?

3 hours ago, AlmostFrazzled said:

It'll be 3-5-2 with Rose, Campbell and Cadden/Bigi. If Bigi starts Frear will be on the bench.

I'm also backing big box office Nadir to start here.

The Francis Jeffers role in the St Johnstone semi would certainly do nicely.

Fingers crossed Dunne and Campbell shake off their knocks. Assuming they do, I’d go with the usual back 3 and have a midfield of Bigi, Rose and Campbell with Cadden and Tait the wingbacks. 

As much as I like Frear he isn’t suited to the wingback role, particularly when you look at Aberdeen’s strength in the wide areas. Given our lack of quality attacking options however, I’d consider playing Frear off Main if Ciftci doesn’t make it. I’m afraid Bowman wouldn’t be near my starting lineup. 

• Like 1

I’m sure we will go with usual back  3 and I would go with Tait and Cadden as wing backs with Campbell ,Bigi, and Rose in middle . I’m sure unless they have a bad reaction this week everybody will be fit for Saturday outwith the long term absentees as in Hartley and Tanner . That is our tried and testest formation in big games so why change it . 

• Like 1

Yes, I agree with that but I wonder how Robbo is thinking.
Recent history suggests he would start with Grimshaw and bring Bigi on about 65 mins.

He caught Aberdeen out at Pittodrie with a change of formation so I don't think it certain he will go 3-5-2.

May depend on fitness of Dunne, Campbell, Rose as to what formation he starts with.

Tanner is a huge miss.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

You might be right but who would take over McHugh's role there to break up play, put in tackles, chase and harry, and generally protect the defence?

The only obvious answer would be Campbell as that seems to be his game too and to switch Bigi to a more advanced midfield position.

As for Bigi, wasn't he sold as a defensive midfielder who would get the ball and move forward playing slide-rule passes. I get that his time here has been a mixture of injury, not getting into an on-form side and various other reasons but he has been the biggest disappointment in terms of what I hoped for in the summer. But that is tempered with Main and Campbell, weren't on my radar in July (Jan) and have been fantastic for us.

How has playing Tait on one wing and Cadden on the other worked for us this season? Genuine question.

I think Bowman does offer more running and vigour than Ciftci and I would start him before, but my post was based on what I think Robinson will field.

I would have Dicky and Cadds as wing backs. All about opinions but I have never been a Frear fan. Very predictable and never varies his play. But if he starts and proves me wrong I will be the first to congratulate him. Let's hope we take a huge support and get right behind the lads. We don't get to semi finals often so I would be disappointed if we didn't have a big support...COYW

We will probably take 6-7000 which at nearly 200% of home support is OK. Equivalent of Aberdeen taking over 20,000 which is unlikely. I think we will get around 22,000 for the crowd which would have been a full house for either Edinburgh ground, but will look poor at Hampden. Our 7000 or so will look awful split into 3 areas. Should have just sold North and South stand tickets only. 

As for the team. Over on P&B Capt Oats (good poster) put some illuminating stats on results based on Main + either Ciftci or Bowman. Main and Ciftci have started 9 times and in that time we won 6 drawn 2 and lost only 1 ! With Bowman starting + Main or Fisher = 9 games and we won ZERO of them. 

I don’t think the gaffer would start Bigi and Ciftci and nor do I think he would start Bowman and Grimshaw. If he wants an all out fight he will start Rose, Grimshaw and Bowman. If he wants a bit of flair then he would start Ciftci and Bigi. I suspect somewhere in the middle. 

If Ciftci is fit I would start him. I know he has flattered to deceive but the stats above show him and Main are generally a better option than Main and Bowman. Bowman may help you not lose a game but if Ciftci is in the mood he could probably offer more in terms of helping us win the game. 

We will probably take 6-7000 which at nearly 200% of home support is OK. Equivalent of Aberdeen taking over 20,000 which is unlikely. I think we will get around 22,000 for the crowd which would have been a full house for either Edinburgh ground, but will look poor at Hampden. Our 7000 or so will look awful split into 3 areas. Should have just sold North and South stand tickets only. 
As for the team. Over on P&B Capt Oats (good poster) put some illuminating stats on results based on Main + either Ciftci or Bowman. Main and Ciftci have started 9 times and in that time we won 6 drawn 2 and lost only 1 ! With Bowman starting + Main or Fisher = 9 games and we won ZERO of them. 
I don’t think the gaffer would start Bigi and Ciftci and nor do I think he would start Bowman and Grimshaw. If he wants an all out fight he will start Rose, Grimshaw and Bowman. If he wants a bit of flair then he would start Ciftci and Bigi. I suspect somewhere in the middle. 
If Ciftci is fit I would start him. I know he has flattered to deceive but the stats above show him and Main are generally a better option than Main and Bowman. Bowman may help you not lose a game but if Ciftci is in the mood he could probably offer more in terms of helping us win the game. 

I wonder whether the issue around these stats is the appearance of Tanner or not, genuinely don't know the answer but my feeling is he is the key to our potency regardless of any Main, Bowman, Ciftci combination

44 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

I wonder whether the issue around these stats is the appearance of Tanner or not, genuinely don't know the answer but my feeling is he is the key to our potency regardless of any Main, Bowman, Ciftci combination

It's definitely a contributing factor. The majority of the games since the winter break we were starting with a front 3 of Main, Ciftci and Tanner.

The run of fixtures through December we were clearly chopping and changing the starting line-ups eg: Bowman + Fisher (vs Hearts + Killie), Petravicius (vs Thistle), Tanner (vs Dundee) or Newell (vs Accies). It's also fair comment to point out the number of players who were either out injured or visibly carrying injuries in those games.

For avoidance of doubt the point of my post on P&B isn't that Ciftci's been better than he has it's simply that we've been more effective in terms of results with a front pairing of Main & Ciftci (+ Tanner) starting than we have with Bowman + a cast of thousands (Moult excluded).

37 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

I suspect that is true, which makes his loss even more disappointing. Bigi seems capable of providing some unlocking passes but  he is also likely to lose possession or dwell too long on the ball and then we are vulnerable to a counter attack. It's strange that he was SR's first signing and yet  he doesn't seem keen on him now. This may be his last chance to impress.

38 minutes ago, Dezz said:

I believe so. I saw a tweet saying the bars will be open from 9:30am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dezz - hardly seems worth the effort, as there was talk when I was in getting my tickets that the buses would likely leave around the 10.30 am mark. Again I've checked the official site and can't see any confirmation of departure times on buses either.