Scottish Cup Final v Celtic (Hampden) 19/05/18 15:00

something else

5 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

32907470_10216582207731765_5671920986325254144_n.jpg
This is my mate's cousin and friend's boyfriend, tragic.

Indeed. Must be completely shattering for the young lad’s family and friends. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Puts the result of a football match into perspective.

11 hours from LA to London, couple of hours wait, fly up to Glasgow, watch the game, airbnb for the night, back to London on the Sunday afternoon, crash on a mate's sofa, then a 7am flight back to LA on the Monday. Please make it worthwhile Motherwell!

Safe travels to those that are coming from afar, hopefully this is our year.

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

11 hours from LA to London, couple of hours wait, fly up to Glasgow, watch the game, airbnb for the night, back to London on the Sunday afternoon, crash on a mate's sofa, then a 7am flight back to LA on the Monday. Please make it worthwhile Motherwell!

Some effort mate, hope its worth your while. 

On 5/16/2018 at 1:54 PM, ECOSSE1991 said:

I've got the original on 45 rpm  vinyl, you youngsters will need to 'Google' what vinyl is :biggrin:

Side 2 of the disc it says "Up The Well " (Collins) & Colin Stuart (vocalist).

Side 1 is "I've Never Kissed A Bonnie Lass Before". (Stewart-Grant) & Colin Stuart (vocalist).

It comes with an insert card featuring a 'Well 12 man team wearing all white kit. 

Jim 'Jumbo' Muir, Davie Whiteford, Joe Wark, Tom Donnelly, Peter McCloy, Willie McCallum, John Murray, Bobby Howitt (manager), Jimmy Wilson, Jackie McInally, Bobby Campbell, Dixie Deans, John Goldthorpe and Wilson Humphries.

Sorry mate - meant to say thanks for providing the background information. That was a team I grew up with so I would guess circa 1969. Several of that team played in one of my favourite memories of that era (Tom Donnelly scored) - the defeat of the mighty Tottenham Hotspur (what a night).

• Thanks 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44131816

Fan to Motherwell chief executive - 'Winning Scottish Cup would be beyond wildest dreams'

By Jonathan Sutherland

BBC Scotland

16 minutes ago From the sectionMotherwell   
Share this page

Motherwell chief executive Alan Burrows on his rise from supporter to chief executive
Scottish Cup final: Celtic v Motherwell
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow Date: Saturday, 19 May Kick-off: 15:00 BST

Coverage: Live on BBC One Scotland from 14:00, Radio Scotland & BBC Sport Scotland website and BBC Sport app
How do you go from being a fan of a football club to its' chief executive?

Few have made the journey but for Alan Burrows, it began with a trip to Hampden when he was eight years old to watch Motherwell beat Dundee United 4-3 in a classic Scottish Cup final.

That was 1991. Now 35, and preparing for another Motherwell Scottish Cup final at Hampden, Burrows casts his mind back to a pivotal moment in his life.

"It wasn't my first game, but it was certainly one of the ones that I remember," he tells BBC Sport Scotland.

"I was still an impressionable young boy, going with my dad. I certainly remember the colour, the smells and the noise... sitting on the crash barrier at Hampden and watching the range of emotions from people.

"That really hooked me on football. Not just the sport but the whole element of the day, the passion and the aggression at times as well. I found it quite fascinating."

Motherwell last lifted the Scottish Cup in 1991
Motherwell last lifted the Scottish Cup in 1991, with a young Burrows celebrating at Hampden
Cup final success ignited his passion. From there, Burrows would start regularly attending Motherwell matches with his father.

"We went through a lot of family difficulties around the time we started going to the game and it really helped solidify the bond between us both," Burrows said.

"Our first season ticket was 1993-94, which was the last year of Tommy McLean's era at the club.

"The team finished second in the table. We had the likes of Paul Lambert, Tommy Coyne, Dougie Arnott, Brian Martin, Chris McCart - some really fantastic Motherwell legends. The team were outstanding that season. Many felt the team were unlucky not to win the title.

"So it was easy to see a young boy like me falling in love with the club, because they were such a decent team at the time."

'I sort of floated home from Austria'
With the club in his heart, Burrows' dedication later saw him start running an official Motherwell website in his early-to-mid-20s.

One particular away trip saw his career path spiral in a different direction.

"I paid for myself to go over to Austria on a pre-season tour," he explained.

"Nobody else was going, so I was backpacking, planes, trains and automobiles getting to Obertraun, which is just south of Salzburg. At that time I was sending pictures and reports back.

"It was Mark McGhee's first year at the club. Stewart Robertson, the current Rangers managing director, phoned me. He was on the Motherwell board at the time and he left a voicemail saying he really liked what I was doing and would I like to come and do it for the club.

"I sort of floated home from Austria. I was on such a high."

Burrows started work with Motherwell in September 2007 in the communications department. During that time he worked closely with Leeann Dempster, now chief executive at Hibernian.

Alan Burrows in conversation with Hibs chief executive Leeann Dempster
Alan Burrows learned the ropes from Leaann Dempster before succeeding her as chief executive
"I worked for six years with Leeann Dempster. I got to know all the different aspects of how we run on a day-to-day basis," he said.

"She involved me, in her latter days before she departed the club, in the senior elements - board meetings, strategy, etc. When she left and she asked me on behalf of the board whether I would want to do the job, it was something I debated for quite some time.

"I spent a couple of weeks thinking about it. But in essence I had already made the decision."

'Be seen, be visual, be open and be honest'
It has been a whirlwind decade for Burrows in his ascent at Motherwell. Now in charge, his attitude to leadership reflects his rise through the club.

"I've never been scared to do anything that needs to be done," he said. "I'd never ask anyone to do something I wouldn't do myself. If that's being at a board meeting, if that's clearing snow off the pitch, if that's cleaning a toilet - I would do it.

"I think that's proper leadership. Yes, you need to delegate and you can't do everything, but real leadership - especially when things are difficult - [you need to] be seen, be visual, be open and be honest and give people reassurances that you're prepared to get your sleeves rolled up and work as hard as they're going to work. For me, that's leadership.

"It's based on my love for the club. I would do anything for this place and people know that."

Motherwell overpowered Aberdeen in the Scottish Cups semi-final to set up a meeting with Celtic
Motherwell overpowered Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup semi-final to set up a meeting with Celtic
His love affair with Motherwell began with Scottish Cup celebrations of 1991, so what would it mean to win the trophy as chief executive?

"It would be beyond my wildest dreams," he said. "It gets me emotional thinking about it actually. This club has only won the Scottish Cup twice - 1952 and 1991 - so it would be a treble of our own. So it's a once in a lifetime thing, it's not even a once in a generation thing.

"To be the person steering the club off the field and winning a major trophy would be hard to put into words."

Motherwell lost Cedric Kipre to a red card in November's League Cup final loss to Celtic
Ten-man Motherwell lost 2-0 to Celtic in this season's League Cup final
If Burrows' rise has been meteoric, his passion for Motherwell remains undimmed.

"My ultimate goal is to make this place better than when I found it," he added. "I want to secure it long term.

"We've moved into fan ownership; we're the only club in the Premiership that are fully fan owned. Hearts are on their way to it and St Mirren, who are coming up, are on their way to it as well."

"My legacy I hope will be that from an on-field and off-field point of view, we are secure and stable for many generations of Motherwell fans to come, either at this stadium or a new one.

"It's leaving a positive environment, a secure and stable environment and an enjoyable environment for people to come and watch the football club they love."

1 hour ago, gullane said:

Any ideas of good street parking near Hampden tomorrow?

Was brought up round about Hampden. I would try parking around the Crompton Avenue/Elmore Avenue area. You can then walk passed three bridges on the way down to Mount Florida. Hopefully avoiding most of them on your way! 

I’ve watched Motherwell legends since I was 3, beginning with the Ancell babes, St John and Andy Weir. I’ve seen amazing players: Joe McBride, Willie Pettigrew, Joe Wark, Phil O’Donnell. I’ve seen some amazing goals, ridiculously good football. But I don’t remember a team so wholly and collectively committed, so universally industrious and so tightly knit and focused as this current team. They deserve success. However, they must earn it on the pitch this Saturday. They have been amazing in the run up to the final : each and every one speaking with a relaxed self confidence combined with an intense passion and drive to win. Tomorrow I hope they channel this superb collective energy and run over the top of Celtic. We can do it! COYW...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

After Celtic won their semi-final, I found myself thinking that I would've preferred the other mob but I also had a thought running through my head at the time.... we're due a result against them... That thought has been getting stronger this week and I have no doubt it's because of the positivity coming out of the club, the manager, the players all saying we can win this, so different from normal games against them.

The buzz the Banter Thiefs and Up the Well have started. Not living in Motherwell but seeing the pictures of the shops with C&A, Celtic fans getting annoyed because NLC have put up good luck banners in Motherwell.

The result last week against Accies has also lifted that.

On top of that though my lad won two tickets from William Hill, so he's taking a pal that ddn't know if they'd get. Left me a spare ticket but the wife has said she is coming along because she's going to regret it if she doesn't, she believes something special is about to happen. 

Even most of the comments on here have been positive... :)

So yea, we're due a result but we need the players to turn up tomorrow and show they believe they can win it from the get go. We also need us the fans to be on their side and pushing them on... For once, the way the players and fans interact, I believe we can and will do this.

So come on ye WELLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

On 5/16/2018 at 1:54 PM, ECOSSE1991 said:

I've got the original on 45 rpm  vinyl, you youngsters will need to 'Google' what vinyl is :biggrin:

Side 2 of the disc it says "Up The Well " (Collins) & Colin Stuart (vocalist).

Side 1 is "I've Never Kissed A Bonnie Lass Before". (Stewart-Grant) & Colin Stuart (vocalist).

It comes with an insert card featuring a 'Well 12 man team wearing all white kit. 

Jim 'Jumbo' Muir, Davie Whiteford, Joe Wark, Tom Donnelly, Peter McCloy, Willie McCallum, John Murray, Bobby Howitt (manager), Jimmy Wilson, Jackie McInally, Bobby Campbell, Dixie Deans, John Goldthorpe and Wilson Humphries.

My uncle was a big traditional Scottish music fan and he bought me the single way back in 1969. I still have it, however, I don’t remember ever seeing us playing in the pictured all white kit. I went to every game, home and away so it must have happened at some point and I’ve blanked it from my memory.

DbsZzMYWkAAfNcv.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hope Springs said:

I’ve watched Motherwell legends since I was 3, beginning with the Ancell babes, St John and Andy Weir. I’ve seen amazing players: Joe McBride, Willie Pettigrew, Joe Wark, Phil O’Donnell. I’ve seen some amazing goals, ridiculously good football. But I don’t remember a team so wholly and collectively committed, so universally industrious and so tightly knit and focused as this current team. They deserve success. However, they must earn it on the pitch this Saturday. They have been amazing in the run up to the final : each and every one speaking with a relaxed self confidence combined with an intense passion and drive to win. Tomorrow I hope they channel this superb collective energy and run over the top of Celtic. We can do it! COYW...

I'm in the same boat Hope Springs.  This ain't the best footballing Well side I have ever seen but their togetherness and commitment is second to none. They deserve something for giving us a season to remember. Hope it is tomorrow.

COYW

SIWY

5 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Who are you flying from LA with?

4 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

My uncle was a big traditional Scottish music fan and he bought me the single way back in 1969. I still have it, however, I don’t remember ever seeing us playing in the pictured all white kit. I went to every game, home and away so it must have happened at some point and I’ve blanked it from my memory.

DbsZzMYWkAAfNcv.jpg

Might be wrong but I think Motherwell wore all white in the Summer Cup final against Dundee United. Think it was 1966.

We wore the all white strip quite a few times in the Division 2 season. In those days the home team changed in event of a clash. We would probably  changed against Alloa, Berwick and East Fife.   In the Summer Cup they wore a reverse claret with amber band 

What a send off the players got today! Fantastic stuff!

I am an absolute shambles today!

I suspect sadly, probably, Celtic will have too much on the day but “it’s a funny ol’ game” as Greavsie used to say.

The only thing I am certain of tomorrow is that if we are to triumph, it’s going to be the hard way! Either via penalties or nerve shredding hell hanging on for dear life in 7 minutes of injury time! 

Obviously I’ll take that all day long!