Scottish Cup Final v Celtic (Hampden) 19/05/18 15:00

something else

Two goals from well outside the box (one a deflection) and neither giving the goalie any chance was the difference today. Celtic didn’t appear a dangerous goal threat in the box. They controlled possession well but if we had managed a goal early in the second half I think we had a chance to make a better game of it.

Well done to the Well for distance travelled from last season and a very worthy two final appearances, beaten in cups only by a Celtic team who have lost only 4 games in two seasons. We have nothing to be ashamed of - only wish we could have won.

• Like 1

One day we will inevitably return to being knocked out of both cups in early rounds by rival teams (and the odd lower league upset) and we'll look back to this season with fondness and go back to yearning for trips to Hampden, but anyone moaning about our cup efforts this season has no right to moan about a lack of cup runs when that day happens. Extremely proud of the players, fans and the club today and for the season as a whole. 

Edited by ChrisMFCfan1886
  • Like 2

Just now, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

One day we will inevitably return to being knocked out of both cups in early rounds by rival teams (and the odd lower league upset) and we'll look back to this season with fondness and go back to yearning for trips to Hampden, but anyone moaning about our cup efforts has no right to moan about a lack of cup runs when that day happens. Extremely proud of the players, fans and the club today and for the season as a whole. 

Agree. Loved the dream. The shed and putting pride back. Luvd beatn sevco in other cup.

Fine day out spoiled by a horrible first half. For all the positive prematch chat we were keen to embrace, this was no better than a McCall/Butcher effort.

I’m not one to normally slate McHugh but he was horrendous today. While I appreciate hoofball has got us to two finals, the Bigi cameo was far more pleasing on the eye. 

Credit to Celtic, they make scoring exquisite goals look incredibly easy and have cruised to a double treble.  

Travelled a long way and at great expense with the family to watch the team be a little overawed with the occasion and be surrounded by total feckin day tripping roasters.

The fact we have been to two cup finals this season is an indicator for true  progress. Yes, we were in the main pretty poor but even then there were chances created and some good football played. 

Headlines of the day;

Taking my boy to the Cooper to see the banter thieves .... great atmosphere.

Carson is quality and the back 3 did well.

McHugh was awful and (Celtic taking foot off gas or not) Bigi opened the game out and was excellent.

The front two were given little service but worked hard.

The whole Palestine protest is just a reminder of why I no longer live in Scotland.

38 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

Travelled a long way and at great expense with the family to watch the team be a little overawed with the occasion and be surrounded by total feckin day tripping roasters.

The fact we have been to two cup finals this season is an indicator for true  progress. Yes, we were in the main pretty poor but even then there were chances created and some good football played. 

Headlines of the day;

McHugh was awful and (Celtic taking foot off gas or not) Bigi opened the game out and was excellent.

The whole Palestine protest is just a reminder of why I no longer live in Scotland.

Sounds like a few positives. Scotland dismissing sectarian law wrong. Heard a lot of rebel songs.

1 hour ago, numpty said:

I hope so... just wish we'd learn a bit quicker sometimes, as we sat off them far too much in the last final as well, with similar results.

True mate. Wish that learning experience sunk in too. Dont want to loose any more cup finals. Thats my 4th loss since 91. Although sevco win should be awarded to us due to thier tax evasion.

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

Aye 2 cup finals 7th place finish is it a good season is it fuck . Hoof ball football wins nothing manager must take the blame today ,brought on Bigi and we started to play some football . Don't give me that  2 finals in one season pish won f all  struggled all season somhears to you Stephen Robinson thanks for nowt 

Get a grip. We were battling relegation last season. Two finals in one season isnt good enough for you? Ive stood on the fir park terraces and watched us get pumped by the likes of Morton and Raith Rovers. Two cup finals in one season isnt good enough for you? What will be?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

I thought Main was utter dogshite today. Am I being harsh or was it a thankless task. There were times in the second half where I thought he just wasn't really challenging for the ball?

It was a real thankless task. Boyata is about 4 inches taller than him and he was fed a diet of 60 yard punts all match

He chased what he could,the only criticism of him would be that he had a couple of chances he could/should have finished better

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Really? After the culmination of a wonderful cup run and the dejection of failing to win the trophy, the adventure of fans from all over the globe to be there, that's what you choose to open with? 

Anyway, the first half was so incredibly disappointing. We gave them the freedom to run through us with ease. There was nothing to hold on to, nothing that gave you that hope or excitement that the fans deserved today.

The second half, even if the game was effectively over, was far better. Where was that performance in the first half?

Finally, stating the obvious, but the Celtic support really are cretins. I saw one Motherwell fan led off in handcuffs before the game started. Yet, nothing will be said or done about that Palestine 'display' or the IRA songs.

Full credit to the Motherwell fans today. Some might complain but I thought they did the team proud. I'm so flat after that result but I'm still so glad that I was there to see it.

I dont think theres anything wrong with Celtic fans supporting Palestine. Particuarly with the events of the last few days. Good for them. 

1 hour ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

One day we will inevitably return to being knocked out of both cups in early rounds by rival teams (and the odd lower league upset) and we'll look back to this season with fondness and go back to yearning for trips to Hampden, but anyone moaning about our cup efforts this season has no right to moan about a lack of cup runs when that day happens. Extremely proud of the players, fans and the club today and for the season as a whole. 

Totallly agree with you. Ive been going to fir park for a long time, almost 3 decades and this is the best season we have had in a good few years.

1 hour ago, Gadgey said:

Headlines of the day;

I have a mate who was from Palestine and would be killed on sight if he went back. I dont like celtic as a football club, but good for them for doing their bit for Palestine. Someone needs to. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I dont think theres anything wrong with Celtic fans supporting Palestine. Particuarly with the events of the last few days. Good for them. 

I don't really care what their political views are, but whether one agrees with them or not, there's a time and a place to air them and the Scottish Cup Final isn't it. Fitba' is what you watch to forget all that stuff for an hour or two every week.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I have a mate who was from Palestine and would be killed on sight if he went back. I dont like celtic as a football club, but good for them for doing their bit for Palestine. Someone needs to. 

Who the fuck is your mate, the most wanted man in Palestine?

• Like 1

A deflating day, although I must admit, my disappointment eased a touch having gone back to Fir Park after the game for a bit. It was nice to be around like minded souls.

Obvious stuff but the game was won and lost in the first half.  It was just such a disappointing first half performance from us.  I think just about everyone bought into in the air of assurance and confidence that all at the club were showing beforehand but I think that just made the tentative and hesitant performance in the opening half hurt all the more.

We performed much more creditably in the second half but Celtic obviously had the two goal cushion and had no real requirement to push on at that stage.  If Bigi's free-kick had gone in or Cadden's header gone in or even veered further in the direction of Frear, who knows how the last few minutes might have panned out but the better team won and on this occasion we only have ourselves and not Craig Thomson or any official to blame this time.

I think there's definitely a debate to be had about where we stand currently and what we need to do to progress and move forward but are those few minutes after full time when the rawness after a Cup Final loss is at it's greatest the time for that? Or when some of the contributions smack of capitalising on an opportunity to air negative opinions when morale has taken a hit.

Rather than any perceived failing on the support I actually thought that most waiting around to applaud the team after the game and when they got their medals reflected well on us. A fact remarked upon by one or two in the media and some of the opposition support. I've seen loads of finals where the losers have fucked off pronto but I think it's to our credit as a support that we've sucked up the results of the League Cup and Scottish Cup Finals and hung around to show appreciation to the team.  It can surely only enhance the rapport between the players and supporters and be viewed as a positive when attempting to attract or retain players.

So, a disappointing end to the season without question but undoubtedly a season that's been a success on so many levels be that the improvement in league position, the success we've achieved in Cup competitions that have been so coveted and are so valuable to the club financially.  But the club's Twitter account is right, it doesn't end here. It can't end here. A success it has been but there remains a fairly high ceiling in the league for improvement, an opportunity to expand upon to the style or at least add a variety to the type of football played and of course we will always retain aspirations of lifting silverware again (oh for the fortune of playing a non-Old Firm side in the Final again!)

I'll be renewing the season ticket next week!!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Yodo said:

Bring on the happy clappers ,looked well out our depth 

A post like that deserves rebuke.  Well beaten today no doubt but gulf in wages and resources is huge. 

Not a happy clapper just a realist. 

Love my team and proud of what we have achieved this season. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Was able to go back to bed after the final whistle. Probably did me good to get a couple of hours sleep.

Disappointed with the way it went obviously. Unfortunately we lost goals at bad times and the game was pretty much over when the second one went in.  Cannot agree with anyone putting the boot into McHugh. The guy looked utterly dejected. At our level you win as a team and you lose as a team. Also felt that, while we did improve when Bigi came on, he benefitted from the state of the game at the time. Celtic had taken the foot off the gas and the midfield opened up nicely for him to show his abilities. Absolutely no guarantee that he could have done that from the outset. Cannot fault them on effort and attitude.

as I sat watching, alone in the dark at 2am on a cold Kiwi morning, trying to ignore the shite commentary on BEIN sport’s covera, I was sure I heard the applause at 19 minutes for the lad who passed away a day or so before the final. I felt a shiver down my spine and stood for a moment, holding my late father’s scarf just a little tighter. At the end of the game, watching their players and support celebrate, I immediately realised that I could never support a team like that. If you are a Motherwell fan, you are in it for the long haul. No religion, no politics, no “we won and that makes me better than you because you lost”. Just a sense of the place from where we or our families came from and a love of the game and trying to play it the right way. Today my team gave their all and behaved with dignity when it wasn’t enough to win the prize. I can live with that. And so the story continues.

• Like 11

40 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

True mate. Wish that learning experience sunk in too. Dont want to loose any more cup finals. Thats my 4th loss since 91.

Same for most of us, I'm sure. Mind you, last Motherwell goal I actually witnessed was scored by Chris Humphrey, so we were never likely to score today.