Scottish Cup Final v Celtic (Hampden) 19/05/18 15:00

something else

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

Ciftci is a big game player and seems like the type of striker who might just nick you a winner from a free kick or something similar. I personally would give him a start beside Main. Although I would Play Bowman up front as well and just go for it with three up top.

WOW !

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

Ciftci is a big game player and seems like the type of striker who might just nick you a winner from a free kick or something similar. I personally would give him a start beside Main. Although I would Play Bowman up front as well and just go for it with three up top.

The big game player as you put it  is rapidly running out of chances to prove himself worthy of the accolade, since he left Dundee united he has been brutal. I have no doubt the talent is there but whatever is going on with him it's not showing, anytime I see him he looks unfit and uninterested. 

He will never be back at Celtic and based on what we have seen of him at Fir Park I would punt him in the summer as the money could be better spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

I like Cifti and I would be quite happy if we were able to get him on a year contract and see what he can deliver with a full pre-season behind him.  I couldn't agree with the "fat" suggestion but he does look like he's towing a caravan at times.

There certainly hasn't been the glut of goals that I think most people remember from his time at Tannadice and associate him with then but as he's said himself he's a different player from the one who played with Dundee Utd and is playing with different players in a different formation with very different tactics.

And yet no great pace, no glut of goals but when he, Main and Tanner were all involved there was some good and productive link-up play between the three which boded well before both he and Tans succumbed to injury.

So aye, I'd be glad to see him back if a deal could be worked out.

In terms of the weekend though, that's a different matter and quite a poser for Robinson. If he's available for selection I'd be inclined to start with him and Main and use Bowman's energy later in the contest.  I tend to think it would be easier for Ryan to adjust to the pace of the game than for Cifti. If things aren't going too well and we have Bowman on the bench at least there is something there to change the game if needed.  I'm afraid I don't yet have the belief in Newell or Petravicius to do that at the current stage of their development.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I like Cifti and I would be quite happy if we were able to get him on a year contract and see what he can deliver with a full pre-season behind him.  I couldn't agree with the "fat" suggestion but he does look like he's towing a caravan at times.

There certainly hasn't been the glut of goals that I think most people remember from his time at Tannadice and associate him with then but as he's said himself he's a different player from the one who played with Dundee Utd and is playing with different players in a different formation with very different tactics.

And yet no great pace, no glut of goals but when he, Main and Tanner were all involved there was some good and productive link-up play between the three which boded well before both he and Tans succumbed to injury.

So aye, I'd be glad to see him back if a deal could be worked out.

In terms of the weekend though, that's a different matter and quite a poser for Robinson. If he's available for selection I'd be inclined to start with him and Main and use Bowman's energy later in the contest.  I tend to think it would be easier for Ryan to adjust to the pace of the game than for Cifti. If things aren't going too well and we have Bowman on the bench at least there is something there to change the game if needed.  I'm afraid I don't yet have the belief in Newell or Petravicius to do that at the current stage of their development.

Strongly agree.

I like Ciftci and would love to see what we offers after a full pre-season. You need to play to his strengths, though, rather than punt long, high balls in his direction and hope he reaches one.  That's like knocking balls over the full backs and expecting Big Higdon to chase them down.

5 minutes ago, milo said:

Apparently we’ve only sold 5,700 tickets for Saturday. I find that disappointing and a bit of a head scratcher to be honest.

I thought there would be more interest, but who cares really. Thats a lot more than our home support.

30 minutes ago, milo said:

Apparently we’ve only sold 5,700 tickets for Saturday. I find that disappointing and a bit of a head scratcher to be honest.

The general vibe would suggest 5,700 might be about right. While appreciating the impact of BBC coverage and Easter holidays, I struggle to fathom why we would take significantly less numbers to a Scottish Cup semi than a diddy cup semi against Rangers. 

As has been mentioned repeatedly, it’s a real shame our modest support has to be spread across 3 stands. 

The general vibe would suggest 5,700 might be about right. While appreciating the impact of BBC coverage and Easter holidays, I struggle to fathom why we would take significantly less numbers to a Scottish Cup semi than a diddy cup semi against Rangers. 
As has been mentioned repeatedly, it’s a real shame our modest support has to be spread across 3 stands. 

Unless there were official figures to back it up I’m not sure it is significantly less. From where we were in the South Stand about 6,000 looked about right in the League Cup semi as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

It’s just the pricing. I’m sure most folk would go North stand if the price was £20 across the board, but at £30 a lot have decided to go behind the goal. The prices have to be the same for both semis, and to be fair the other one would sell out at £50 a ticket.

How many more would you realistically get at our game?

Would be interested to hear of anyone who went to League cup semi, but wasn’t going to bother this time, as that would be strange....

It’s just the pricing. I’m sure most folk would go North stand if the price was £20 across the board, but at £30 a lot have decided to go behind the goal. The prices have to be the same for both semis, and to be fair the other one would sell out at £50 a ticket.
Would be interested to hear of anyone who went to League cup semi, but wasn’t going to bother this time, as that would be strange....
I reckon a number of factors are affecting the crowd for Saturday.

A 3rd trip to Hampden is expensive for some folks as more family members tend to come that don't make all games (costin me a fortune!!!)

Being on council tele as well as Sky so more accessible to more people and a shit ko time won't help

Some may decide to keep their money for a potential final

Our form is not currently as good. It's not dreadful but I don't detect the same optimism and excitement around the place that there was before the last semi.

Guesswork I know. Our group are going with the same numbers as previously, but am really disappointed we are not taking more, especially as we won't be putting up with the old firm scum around the place.

I am sure all there will make plenty noise for the lads but it will be disappointing for the team to come out to so many empty seats in our end.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

All of the above, plus I suspect a lot of the long distance support thought Betfred semi and final were all they'd get this season and put their spare funds into those games. I know I certainly couldn't afford 3 (or 4) trips to Hampden in one season.

12 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Trouble is that's not the player we signed don't know where he went to ... And no sign of him reappearing so yes WOW indeed i.e Waste Of Wonga, we can do better

His all round play is recognised by the aficionado in our support. We've certainly not been scoring much when he's been out... Waste of Wonga? Behave yourself, it would surprise what he is costing. Very little risk and we certainly don't have anybody to fill the role.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Clackscat said:

I reckon a number of factors are affecting the crowd for Saturday.

A 3rd trip to Hampden is expensive for some folks as more family members tend to come that don't make all games (costin me a fortune!!!)

Being on council tele as well as Sky so more accessible to more people and a shit ko time won't help

Some may decide to keep their money for a potential final

Our form is not currently as good. It's not dreadful but I don't detect the same optimism and excitement around the place that there was before the last semi.

Guesswork I know. Our group are going with the same numbers as previously, but am really disappointed we are not taking more, especially as we won't be putting up with the old firm scum around the place.

I am sure all there will make plenty noise for the lads but it will be disappointing for the team to come out to so many empty seats in our end.

Probably true.  Our group too will be taking the same number, if not slightly more.  I suppose too some younger fans are being a bit blase about the game i.e. oh its just another semi.  I've no problem with the game being live on TV but do feel sorry the fans who don't subscribe to TV packages but have to put up with all the nonsense of the TV companies.   Again speculation on my part.  

35 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

His all round play is recognised by the aficionado in our support. We've certainly not been scoring much when he's been out... Waste of Wonga? Behave yourself, it would surprise what he is costing. Very little risk and we certainly don't have anybody to fill the role.

^^^^^ Absolutely this.

Put bluntly and regardless of percieved "effort" or whether he's "fat" even this version of Ciftci is a better footballer than Bowman, Petravicius and Newell. He's also a better footballer than Fisher, Blyth, Belic, Robinson, Fletcher et al. "We can do better" is quite a bold claim given we've done plenty worse in recent seasons.

13 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Waste Of Wonga, we can do better

Cifcti is a player who I would rather have in my team than not. Granted you can never predict which player will turn up on the day as his form can be erratic. He divides opinion among fans, however, some very good football people rate him very highly. I have every faith that Robinson will do his level best to bring out the ability that we all know he has. I really hope he scores the winner on Saturday to silence all the doubters.

Bit of shame if 6000 is the amount of 'Well fans we will have there. Was hoping, without much thought it must be said, for a chunk more than that but can understand some of the reasons posted above for the lower turnout. Anyway - not that it really matters that much.

As for the team, I'd probably echo the positive Cifcti comments above. He might not have scored as much as we'd like but he was instrumental in a few of our goals and general all round play, flicks and bringing people into the game is streets ahead of Bowman et al.  We've got plenty of effort and running in the team. What we need against the better teams in the country is that little bit of something special and Cifcti could be that. I stress 'could'  

I'd start, if all the doubts are fit:

Carson

Kipre Aldred Dunne

Tait Campbell Rose Cadden Frear

Main Cifcti

Subs:

Bigi and Bowman not far from that starting 11 but offer something of the bench,

7 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I'm still deciding whether to get up at 6.15 am on a Saturday morning to see if I can get a stream or follow along on here and Mixlr.   Or just wake up and look at my phone to see the score.

It's live on the BBC - so even if you don't have access to a VPN to watch it on iPlayer, it should be easy to find a stream.

It will be iPlayer and bacon rolls for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

^^^^^ Absolutely this.

Put bluntly and regardless of percieved "effort" or whether he's "fat" even this version of Ciftci is a better footballer than Bowman, Petravicius and Newell. He's also a better footballer than Fisher, Blyth, Belic, Robinson, Fletcher et al. "We can do better" is quite a bold claim given we've done plenty worse in recent seasons.

People can only base an opinion on what they see.  My last viewing of Ciftci was in the Hearts semi-final.  He seemed to lack an edge that day and was pushed off the ball too easily by the big Hearts defenders. Bowman made a difference when he came on. I don't think that anybody would argue that Ciftci is  a talented player but if he continues to lack fitness he simply can't access that ability.

Somebody made reference to the 'fox in the box' earlier in the thread. A good comparison in that he was a player of undoubted talent who lacked the sharpness of his glory days but could still contribute in flashes. 

My hope is that Ciftci has been on a strict fitness regime and that a sharper, fitter Ciftci starts. If injury is the reason for his absence in recent weeks however Bowman should start.  Moult and Bowman worked well in the League Cup semi final so why not have confidence that Main and Bowman can cause similar problems. 

18 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I was at the LC semi but due to work I won't make this one  if it had a sensible KO time ie 2:30 or 3pm I would have made it. But ticket prices, stupid KO time , and live on council TV were bound to impact on ticket sales.

But people need to realise, 6000 is still no far off double our core support, there will be double that for the final with all the day trippers going.