Scottish Cup Final v Celtic (Hampden) 19/05/18 15:00

something else

What a result and performance, not a bad performance by anyone with a Kipré and Main outstanding. We just never gave them a minute, harried them from the off with a terrific work rate. Ok we might not always be easy on the eye but my god the players are fit and put in 100%. Thought Tait handled for the first but after the Celtic final we deserve a bit of luck. Very happy drinking a nice glass of wine.

• Like 1

Strange match.  Thought we started poorly and yet ended up 2-0 thanks to some diabolical defending from Aberdeen.

Thereafter we looked completely comfortable without creating too many chances.  Aberdeen were insipid and there haven't been many occasions where, with nearly 70 minutes of the match left , I was absolutely confident we would not concede a goal.  In some ways it mirrored the Rangers semi but with the goals coming earlier in the match.

When Aberdeen finally managed to up the pace a bit and start to look a threat, around the 60 minute mark, it was instantly negated by another piece of comedy defending.

What we need to do now is improve our league form and not fall into the same mistake made by McCall when he chopped and changed our team in the run up to the 2011 final.  No putting players in cotton wool.  No resting players.  We need to fine hone and build momentum. We need to go into the Final in good form, with wins under our belts and good performances.  Then, whoever it is we play, we can look square in the eye and really take on in the Final.

The last Final performance, indeed the last three have been far too passive.  For the upcoming one we need to really go for it.  I might have complaint for most of the season about the standard of our play but the same applies to the rest of the league.  The standard is poor across the board and that means with a wee bit of luck, and we've carried plenty on this run, we might actually win it.

Absolutely gutted I had to work today so never made the game but after watching the game back I have to say that after the 2nd goal went in the result was never in doubt. Yes Aberdeen were brutal, but we're superb today always in their faces, chasing every ball and Mains finish for the 3rd was excellent.  

I know not getting relegated and making 2 finals in a brilliant season but I want us to win this now and will be disappointed if we don't, we have nothing to fear from either of the ugly sisters, so the same again and getting right into them will do for me. Personally I would rather play Rangers in the final .

29 minutes ago, real dosser said:

SPFL stats site says Cup winners qualify for Europa League and runners up would qualify if  champions league qualifier also wins the cup. To me that would suggest we could lose the final but still qualify if Celtic do the league & cup double.

Nah.  We need to win the cup to qualify.

Runners up were previously given a spot but that was changed a few years ago.

Example being Falkirk  two years ago who didn't qualify for Europe having lost to Inverness in the Final.

Absolutely outstanding today. This squad have given us more than a memorable season - absolute  credit to them all. 

Just wondering who folk would prefer tomorrow? The gap between Rangers and Celtic has narrowed since we last met them both in the cup however we've run them both close recently. Beating Rangers would be a great laugh and probably the more realistic scenario but Beating Celtic would be that bit sweeter after they cheated their way to the League Cup. 

I'm actually wondering whether I care either way. 

14 minutes ago, CoF said:

Beating Rangers would be a great laugh and probably the more realistic scenario

True, but it would be the more horrible game to lose.

You can just imagine all the wanking about being 'back' etc.  More so from the media.

A soft penalty with minimal contact against Celtic would do. These things apparently even themselves up.

Great result today although it was a strange game.  We didn't play great football but got all the basics right.  The team ran their hearts out, fought for every ball and took their chances and thats why they won.  No real failures today although I though Main, Bowman, Kipre, Campbell and Grimshaw were the pick of the bunch.  At 2-0 Aberdeen still had a chance but the 3rd goal killed the tie.  A lot fewer Dons fans there than their average league attendance still thats not important.  

A real day to savour two finals in one season!  Our accountant will also be very pleased indeed.  If she was happy before she'll be delirious now.  Another big pay day beckons.

Well done to Robbo, Keef and the players.  Support too was tremendous. 

49 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Nah.  We need to win the cup to qualify.

Runners up were previously given a spot but that was changed a few years ago.

Example being Falkirk  two years ago who didn't qualify for Europe having lost to Inverness in the Final.

The link below from Daly record clearly states that if we are runners up we will not qualify.

The only ways to qualify for Europe are   Win the league, Win the cup or League position

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-your-scottish-premiership-side-12184494