Scottish Premiership Game 36:St Johnstone (H) 05/05/18 15:00

Yabba's Turd

£60k to play for  in a one off game cant be sniffed at for a club with our resources.

Id be playing as close to full strength as possible.

That would leave 2 weeks clear to final to nurse any injuries and rotate players where necessary in last 2 games.

We also owe them a bloody nose after our last visit there!

On 4/30/2018 at 12:37 PM, sinjy said:

The ideal scenario would be to win this and guarantee 7th and Accies to be safe going into the last game. If they need something from the last game it could turn into a shitfest and increase the chances of injuries a week before the big one.

Don't think it would be a bad thing to have a battle before the cup final.

On 4/30/2018 at 12:42 PM, milo said:

I would be fielding as many fringe players as possible in this game. 

Would rather go into the game with an injury or two than have the entire first team not having played for two weeks.

Let's face it, Celtic are better in every position anyway, we aren't going to win this off a couple of star players.  We don't even have a Louis Moult level player now.  It's going to be about energy, sharpness, team work etc. 

One week off and levels drop significantly.

42 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Would rather go into the game with an injury or two than have the entire first team not having played for two weeks.

Not entirely sure about that.  I wouldn't want to lose a couple from Carson, Kipre, Aldred or Main. 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Let's face it, Celtic are better in every position anyway, we aren't going to win this off a couple of star players.  We don't even have a Louis Moult level player now.  It's going to be about energy, sharpness, team work etc. 

It was always going to be a juggling act for a team of our size. If Celtic get a few injuries they have ready made replacements waiting to slot in. If we rest our big players they may lack the sharpness come the final, play them and we may incur more injuries. Personally I would agree with you and continue playing them for at least part of the upcoming games.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Pretty sure that's Robinson's take on it as well. He said after the semi he needed players to be going in who are match sharp and that a even a couple of weeks off can make a huge difference. It's gamble either way, but I'd keeping players match sharp is a risk worth taking.  

As an aside, he also mentioned the 2011 final at the weekend there - said part of the problem was that we went into that on a bad run of results with our heads down. Absolutely spot on. I still think McCall deserves a heroes welcome any time he comes to Fir Park however Robinsons approach to cup competitions shows a far clearer understanding of what makes our club and it's fans tick. 

• Like 1

If a player has a knock that needs rest, by all means rest him. And maybe give some of the fringe players extra minutes just in case. I agree, however, the makeup of our team and nature of our tactics means we need to be playing the bulk of the first team over the remaining games. Just look at how someone like Grimshaw has found his form from competitive minutes.

If all the games were on Saturdays then there might be an argument for not resting players but given we have a midweek match we would be crazy not to rest players.

I also don't agree about the players losing their sharpness. First 45 against Rangers coming out the international break was the best we have played this year. Apart from Grimshaw everyone has played a huge amount of football this year and no one is going to get any fitter than they already are.  Our game is massively based on work rate . The main thing is to have everyone free of injuries and ready to put in a massive 120 minute shift.

It's not about fitness it's about sharpness. Two different things.

Maybe it was lack of sharpness that led to the 2nd half slow start against Rangers. 

I'm sure Robinson has a plan though - and I suspect it will be a balanced one. 

In the second half against Rangers they put three men on the left against Tait and we didn't react to it.

I'm still not understanding what you mean by sharpness. The idea that they have to play Sat-Tues-Sat to be at full fitness makes no sense, if we didn't have Partick we wouldn't be playing a midweek bounce game to get 'sharpness' would we?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weeyin said:

For everyone that wants to rest players - it seems we do them more damage in training than we do playing competitive games.

Exactly, injuries can happen at anytime and we can’t wrap players in cotton wool until the final. Come the big day we will just need to  use whoever is match fit.

Just play our strongest team, keep the players match fit, and if injuries happen, they happen. No point over thinking these things because the only chance we have in the final is high tempo in their faces and that means fitness not sitting on the bench in advance of the game.

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Scottish Premiership Game 36:St Johnstone (H) 05/05/18 15:00