Scottish Premiership Game 36:St Johnstone (H) 05/05/18 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Just now, superward said:

Defensive changes seemed to left us all over the shop.

I disagree with that.

Today was just a continuation of last week when Dundee created chance after chance.  The only difference was St. Johnstone scored when Dundee spurned theirs, I mean Dundee should have 1-0 last week after about 6 seconds.

1 minute ago, supermarv said:

If we are paying Ciftci a wage terminate it NOW. Absolute waste of a signing, disgrace of a player! 

No point in blaming a guy we play for 15 minutes every 5 weeks for not being match fit or match sharp.  Especially if the expectation was he'd be another hard running, hard tackling headless chicken up front. It's like expecting an out and out left winger to play as a wingback.

17 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The only time I have ever seen us win a Cup, we won 7 of our last 9 league games (including a 2 -1 win at Celtic Park and scudding Rangers 3 - 0 at Fir Park).

It's fair to say, that for me, that seems a healthier way to approach it.

It's a one off cup game, league form is irrelevant, we were utter garbage before the playoff final against Rangers and turned up and pumped them, a repeat of that on the 19th will do for me. 

The records will show who won the cup , not how each team played in the previous league games, but no doubt you will be curbing your celebrations when we win because we were shit in our last 3 league games, I know I won't be

• Like 1

I disagree with that.
Today was just a continuation of last week when Dundee created chance after chance.  The only difference was St. Johnstone scored when Dundee spurned theirs, I mean Dundee should have 1-0 last week after about 6 seconds.

Yeah, it wasn't the only reason. Certainly didn't help things in my eyes.

That's not a dig at the selection of Robbo either. Just what happened.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A total shocker today, and best forgotten.  Many players should be embarrassed. 

Still, I would rather be humbled today than next week or in the cup final, so just need to suck it up and move on. 

If there is a positive then its plenty material for Robinson to go thru individuals and to challenge the squad overall! 

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

It's a one off cup game, league form is irrelevant, we were utter garbage before the playoff final against Rangers and turned up and pumped them, a repeat of that on the 19th will do for me. 

The records will show who won the cup , not how each team played in the previous league games, but no doubt you will be curbing your celebrations when we win because we were shit in our last 3 league games, I know I won't be

Only difference is in the play off we were playing against a team that were struggling in the Championship.  In the cup final we are playing a team on the cusp of a historic double treble.  The  gulf in opposition is huge.  I'd also argue that the play off team actually had much better players in it.

There's no doubt we'd have a better chance of winning if we went into the game in high confidence with some quality performances behind us.

• Like 1

Well that was awful, i’m  not a big fan of resting players and today showed why. We missed Kipre far more than any team should miss a single player, it effected the rest of the defence big style. Let’s be generous and also say  the replacements for Tait and Bowman hardly covered themselves with any credit. I thought we actually started ok but we just fell apart after the first goal and we are certainly a team that can be awful if we stop doing those things we are good at. McHugh was simply terrible and no real surprise to see him not return to the field after half time although why our Celtic loan player did is anyone’s guess. Can we please just play our strongest 11 in the remaining two games rather than mess around and destroy the players confidence in the run up to the final.

14 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

I’m just back and I thought we were dreadful from start to finish. If we play like that on May 19th it will be a cricket score.

Actually thought there wasn't much in the game until they scored. Seem to remember Main missing a chance at 0-0 that he should have scored. Alarmingly when they scored, we seemed to fall to pieces. Every goal was poor defensively..

Maguire seemed to be getting targeted by St Johnstone but others at the back had poor games. Ciftci and Petravicius can go now as far as I'm concerned. 

Still, if you're feeling bad, it could be worse. You could be Ricky Foster...

That was awful,worryingly bad. That bad that not one player got pass marks...a few should take a long hard look at themselves.

Ciftci has again contributed fuck all...the midfield was non-existant and the defence looked disorganised and completely inept, with young Maguire looking out his depth. 

Missing Kipre and Tait shouldnt be the end of the world and I can only put the poor result and performance down to a bad mindset to be honest, it looked like a team that had downed tools for the season. Pure shite of the highest order, Ive seldom seen sucha poor performance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

Actually thought there wasn't much in the game until they scored. Seem to remember Main missing a chance at 0-0 that he should have scored. Alarmingly when they scored, we seemed to fall to pieces. Every goal was poor defensively..

Maguire seemed to be getting targeted by St Johnstone but others at the back had poor games. Ciftci and Petravicius can go now as far as I'm concerned. 

Still, if you're feeling bad, it could be worse. You could be Ricky Foster...

I'd agree that there wasn't much in it until they scored but I'd make two points. 

1) St. Johnstone looked like they might actually score.  They had some edge up front and we really didn't have anything. 

2)  The game in the early stages was played as if it was a pre season friendly match.  We had a couple of good moves and touches but there was just no intensity there at all.  That for me was really the disappointing thing.  You'd have thought the summer holidays were coming early instead of us having an extra, and massively important, game.

2 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Im more annoyed that this will have killed any more ticket sales for the Cup final. No one in their right mind who hasnt bought one will do so on the back of that dross.

I said the very thing to my mate at the game. It certainly wasn’t the best way to go about  promoting it to anybody swaying on shelling out £30+ to go to the match rather than watching it on council telly. I’m a Motherwell masochist so at least I have an excuse. 

45 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Im more annoyed that this will have killed any more ticket sales for the Cup final. No one in their right mind who hasnt bought one will do so on the back of that dross.

Very true mate, were always as a club talking about doing the basics and going into a cup final we should most certainly be doing that.  Trying to build a bit of momentum by winning games  , players playing for a place in the team or at least get themselves in the squad. And in doing so maybe get more bums on seats in the Motherwell end come 19 May . We failed miserably today on all counts.

Total lack of professionalism /interest, so after 4 I left and salvaged a bit of what was a rotten afternoon with a few beers. I honestly don’t think we can be as bad as that again this season. If we are, then it’s going to be a long day at Hampden :angry:

Bottom line is we have a starting 11 that we can all name and trust and sad as it is the admit, we just don’t have the squad to replace them when they can’t turn out. That was the problem in our rotten run up to the winter shutdown and it was evident again today

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

A good few will be trying to take them back, never seen so many people leave so early. The family of five next to us left with 30 minutes to go and they have never done that before.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

No point in blaming a guy we play for 15 minutes every 5 weeks for not being match fit or match sharp.  Especially if the expectation was he'd be another hard running, hard tackling headless chicken up front. It's like expecting an out and out left winger to play as a wingback.

He is all about me me me, everything he has done recently has pissed me off with him, he falls about like a headless chicken. And for your point about Frear I’m prettt sure that’s the managers tactics so will be training him there in training but unfortunately this year it’s shown he’s not cut out for this league as it’s a shame because last year he was pretty good.

I mentioned last night in the Cup Final thread my discussion with a Celtic fan at work. What I didn't mention was my bold assertion that at least we wouldn't have a collapse in the manner that Rangers did in two of Celtic's last high profile matches.  I might want to re-address that after today's shambles.

I didn't see that coming at all before the game, or indeed even during it, but it was extremely concerning just how easily we folded after the first was conceded. Now admittedly we had one or two absent but still, that's just not not acceptable.

I actually thought we were edging it before we conceded.  It was far from dominant but we'd earned a few corners, there were a few dangerous balls coming into the box.  There was no hint of what was to follow. 

It was bold/reckless from Robinson at half-time depending upon your view.  Such wholesale changes have sparked comebacks of sorts in the past but the set up left us extremely susceptable to conceding again with so many attack minded players squeezed into the line up.  Had we got the first goal of the half (dare I admit I stuck few pence on a draw at half-time) then we might have had the momentum to sustain a period of pressure but we just looked imbalanced and ill at ease and for all those fowards and attack minded players there wasn't a whole created.  In contrast St Johnstone continued to pick us off at opportune moments aided by a continuation of our poor defending.

You can usually take some positives from a game but there are very few things you can take from that today. Perhaps even  the fact that Ryan Bowman would be your positive given how he went off last week.

Morale sapping stuff.

I think we simply need to put that game behind us - Robinson highlighted the other week that we went into the 2011 final off with our heads down because of a bad run of results so the most interesting thing for me will the reaction on Tuesday and next Saturday. 

As an aside, he had what seemed another very thinly veiled dig at Bigirimana post-match. Fairly certain he'll be gone in the summer.

Undeniably a pish performance and result, and one which could cost us seventh place and the cash that goes with it.

We are what we are, which is definately not worldbeaters. We try and be too clever with selection and are left with egg on our faces.still, as long as we react to this in the right way, learn from it, and the individuals are big enough to take responsibility for their shortcomings and mistakes, we can move on and not let today be a defining moment.

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Scottish Premiership Game 36:St Johnstone (H) 05/05/18 15:00