Scottish Premiership Game 37:Partick Thistle (A) 08/05/18 19:45

Yabba's Turd

47 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

A  much improved performance and a hard earned 3 points.

A much improved performance ,relative to Saturday, we were still pish. 1st half utterly shocking no creativity at all. No efforts on goal. Second half a slight improvement still damn few chances created. Chris Cadden couldnt cross a bridge..... we will need a ten fold improvement on that dross to even  just give Celtic a game

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

..... we will need a ten fold improvement on that dross to even  just give Celtic a game

I get your thinking but we've been fairly pish in the league all season however we haven't put a foot wrong in any cup game so far. I include the league cup final in that. 

Here's ourknockout stats (not including the league cup group):

P 8 W7 L1 F17 A5.

All 8 games have been against Premiership opposition. 

Regardless of league form, we do seem to have a knack for rising to the occasion this year.  

• Like 1

Enjoyed last night's second half. The first forty-five was a bit of a non-event for us - we struggled to cope early on with Thistle's front three and took a good 20-25 minutes to grow into the game. Bar a flurry of crosses and corners into the box, we didn't do much, and had to rely on Carson looking back to himself (after Saturday) with some smart saves.

Second half was a different story though, credit to Robinson for changing the shape from our usual line-up to the diamond as it worked a treat. Just watched the BBC highlights and, although Thistle undoubtedly created more chances and we had to ride our luck a little late on as they threw everyone forward, they make it look like we were under the cosh for 90 minutes. That certainly wasn't the case in the second half, I'd say we edged it as the better team, looked dangerous on the break, killed the game when required, and overall put in a very decent - not fantastic - but very decent second-half performance.

Stand outs for me were Carson looking confident and commanding again after Saturday, Cadden who looked far better when he went centrally later on in the game, McHugh who - despite continuing his season of misplaced passes - put in some superb challenges in the middle of the park, and Bowman who ran himself into the ground, gave the Thistle defence a torrid time, and well deserved his goal.

However, the really big mentions have to be for Allan Campbell and David Turnbull. The former put in the kind of performance that we've come to expect now, and the latter was tremendous - his composure and technical ability is obvious and he looked like he'd been in the starting line-up for months. There's something really enjoyable and entertaining about witnessing the Youth Academy lads not just progressing into the first XI, but being the best players on the park - if we're going to be watching those two pairing each other in the middle of the park regularly next season, take my season ticket money now.

• Like 7

I must admit I quite enjoyed that last night.  There's something a little cruel about taking pleasure in beating a team that simply has to get a result but are so utterly hapless but I'm sure few gave a care when it was us that situation.  

There were some echoes of the recent Dundee game where our opponents could easily have been ahead literally seconds into the game, went on to miss a few decent opportunities/had chances saved, seemed to be resigned to their fate for a good part of the second half then came on strong at the end and required us to show a good deal of character to eventually get the win.

Thistle were well on top early on but when they hadn't got in front and we had a spell of earning four or five corners in quick succession it appeared to unsettle them and they never quite regained the dominance they had.

It was an interesting change at half-time from Robinson but it worked a treat and I thought we were comfortably the better side for much of the second half.  Lovely delivery for the goal and finish from Bowman. And absolutely brilliant to the see first of several hissy fits from Cerny as a consequence!

There were a couple terrific performances from the likes of Campbell and Turnbull and McHugh had one of his better games too, albeit still getting caught in possession on the odd occasion and the general doggedness that epitomises the team was fully evident across the side.

A pretty important win in terms of finishing seventh but more importantly just good to get back on track after Saturday's shambles.

Was working last night but watching the highlights I think Main really needs a goal v Accies.

Only scored once in his last 11 league matches and he's looking a bit tight, tetchy and frustrated.  Was apparent against St. Johnstone as well when he fluffed a few chances and had a couple of temper tantrums with other players.

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Scottish Premiership Game 37:Partick Thistle (A) 08/05/18 19:45