The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

We’ve obviously had a very good season with some great highlights courtesy of a very focused and committed squad and management team.

I really hope though that the upcoming transfer activity reflects a willingness to expand our style of play. Our budget should stretch to a few ‘footballers’ that can see us evolve. While our principles shouldn’t  change, we must get better at managing the flow of the game with the ball and creating goal scoring opportunities. 

51 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He obviously played too many passes yesterday.

Can't be having that....

Aye 2 passes and yer oot ,don't dare demand the ball and try and play football  don't you know who your playing for ? 

I reckon GB will be leaving too hopefully for a small fee but wouldn't be surprised if it's a mutual thing, probably end up back at Coventry where he was appreciated.

Think Kipre will stay for another season but wouldn't be surprised to see Carson go as he's at the stage where if he doesn't get a good move he never will.

Think we need a goalie either as cover or to replace TC, a cb, wide midfielder who actually does something unlike Frear and somebody to play off Main although i suspect Main and Bowman will be our front 2.It worked well for us this season going direct but teams know what to expect now and were it not for our good first third to the season we would have been near the bottom so i'm not sure it'll cut it next season.

1 hour ago, Richie said:

A CB pairing of Hartley and Aldred is pretty tasty tbh.

There would be worse problems to have than trying to accommodate them both in whatever pattern we favour next season. I've really rated Aldred, although I didn't realise how slow he could be until yesterday. This is seldom actually a problem, though, as he has some knack for being in the right place to begin with. 

39 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

There's a reason Bigi hasn't played but I've no idea what it is. 

He's probably our most gifted player on the ball but he's barely made a tackle all season. Not a criticism, it's just not in his game. You could see when he started to get his chances later in the season he was knocking his pan in to do the defensive work, which Robinson had publicly asked him to do, but it rarely paid off. 

I don't think Robinson knows how to accommodate a player like that in our current first team. Bigi is the type of player you could build a midfield around, so Robinson might have other ideas in the summer. I hope so, as he's a pleasure to watch at times. 

For me I think that we could play more football, but we have a solid back 3, that got 20 clean sheets, so that's the foundation we no doubt start from. Without major overhaul I think we are top 6 contenders. 

Based on extension of rose and grimmy, we are surely not looking at centre mid. 

------------Carson------------

--Kipre - - Hartley--Dunne--

Tait - - Campbell-Rose--TBA

-----------Tanner------------

-----Main----Bowman----

Can we get money for Cadden? I heard Aberdeen interested. 

I like a lot of what Bigi does differently, but selections this season doesn't suggest he is getting in the 11.

Try retain Aldred. Or does Mchugh move back to replace him? It would save a wage, & remove midfield congestion. 

Ferguson replaces Griffiths for GK backup. 

2 strikers and a left midfielder needed. There is flexibility with Tait and dunne to cover left back for tactically moving to a 4 at back during a game. Adam Livingstone to make team before end of season?

Grimshaw is defensive midfield cover. 

Frear can only play winger, so can only see sub appearances. Move on? 

Has McLean done anything to suggest he can make the squad / push for a start?

I thought when Bigi and Ciftci went around the park applauding the fans at the end of the Accies game it looked as though they were saying goodbye. I quite like Bigi and he's made a real difference when he's come on in recent games so I'd be disappointed if he does leave. He offers something different from the rest of our midfield players when we need to chase a game. 

Ok then lads, exactly who is signing Bigi and Carson as you both are apparently "in the know!"

Thats the main thing that gets on my tits at this time of year , "Player A is away, heard it here first" Aye? Well why dont you enlighten us?   Either substantiate your claims or stfu, its tedious

• Like 4

Aldred came in and did a marvelous job when we lost Hartley to injury ,  but we've now got Hartley back so I suppose you could argue he's no longer required.  But....I would love it if he's back here next season , Aldred was everything that Motherwell football club was about this season  , and  as those in the Know are suggesting ,"Kipre is away", so we'll be looking for a replacement. 

More changes required than most people seem to realise, I’m  afraid.

Back-up/replacement keeper - check

Aldred replacement - check

Left Sided wide player - check 

competent holding midfielder to replace McHugh - check 

Striker x 2 - check 

probabaly needing 6 bodies in the summer. Someone capable of playing a pass would be highly welcome however with Robinson, we shouldn’t be holding the breath on that one.

dead wood like Frear and Diamantis should we cut away and sadly I can see Bigi also facing the door.

personally, I’d move McHugh on however it’s a bold move and one I doubt we will make.

10 minutes ago, Kmac said:

More changes required than most people seem to realise, I’m  afraid.

Back-up/replacement keeper - check

Aldred replacement - check

Left Sided wide player - check 

competent holding midfielder to replace McHugh - check 

Striker x 2 - check 

probabaly needing 6 bodies in the summer. Someone capable of playing a pass would be highly welcome however with Robinson, we shouldn’t be holding the breath on that one.

dead wood like Frear and Diamantis should we cut away and sadly I can see Bigi also facing the door.

personally, I’d move McHugh on however it’s a bold move and one I doubt we will make.

Good thought provoking post.  I don't know if everything will pan out the way you suggest but its a fair shout and we have to take on board lessons learnt from this season.  Worth noting as well that Aldred's lack of pace was compensated for by Kipre's speed.  

I think we’re missing a trick not getting Aldred on a permanent deal but it’s probably not as straight forward as that.

It’s been pointed out to me that he is still under contract at Bury, his wages will almost certainly be beyond what we can pay and he might not actually want to stay in Scotland.

He’s hardly put a foot wrong since he came in though.

I have a feeling Aldred  will be back again after signings a permanent deal. A while ago the word on here was we were going to sign the Grimsby goalkeeper which sounded to me like Carson probably was on his way. Still think Kipre will be with us until at least January.

The Bury fans will be rubbishing Aldred like they have every single one of their summer signings who arrived with great expectation. They went from being tipped for promotion/play off to bottom of the league cannon fodder in the space of one season. They have every right to be pissed.

That said, whilst I agree that Aldred has been a great fit for us, there are many others like him playing in England’s lower leagues who do a similar job. He will not be short on offers and I suspect Robinson will have a list of names as defensive cover should we lose Kipre or want back up.

I would be really sad to see Bigi go and would love to see a little flair added to the team that would help players like him and Tanner shine.

It’s horrible to say it but captain McHugh can go if there are suiters, we already have team grafters like Rose and Grimshaw confirmed and his wage could go to better use.

Using McHugh as a benchmark though, he is a terrific indicator of how we have progressed. A year ago, he was a first pick. I don’t think his form has particularly fallen, he’s just surrounded by better players who deliver better stats.