The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

2 hours ago, Gadgey said:

The Bury fans will be rubbishing Aldred like they have every single one of their summer signings who arrived with great expectation. They went from being tipped for promotion/play off to bottom of the league cannon fodder in the space of one season. They have every right to be pissed.

That said, whilst I agree that Aldred has been a great fit for us, there are many others like him playing in England’s lower leagues who do a similar job. He will not be short on offers and I suspect Robinson will have a list of names as defensive cover should we lose Kipre or want back up.

I would be really sad to see Bigi go and would love to see a little flair added to the team that would help players like him and Tanner shine.

It’s horrible to say it but captain McHugh can go if there are suiters, we already have team grafters like Rose and Grimshaw confirmed and his wage could go to better use.

Using McHugh as a benchmark though, he is a terrific indicator of how we have progressed. A year ago, he was a first pick. I don’t think his form has particularly fallen, he’s just surrounded by better players who deliver better stats.

I totally agree regarding McHugh. Not just based on yesterday i feel he has been on the slide all season. I think we are a better team when he is not there. Use Campbell as the sitter and start bringing Turnbull into the team. I would always pick Rose and Grimshaw in front of McHugh and i can only speculate that he is one of our higher earners too so getting him off the wage bill would be a boost. 

More changes required than most people seem to realise, I’m  afraid.
Back-up/replacement keeper - check
Aldred replacement - check
Left Sided wide player - check 
competent holding midfielder to replace McHugh - check 
Striker x 2 - check 

probabaly needing 6 bodies in the summer. Someone capable of playing a pass would be highly welcome however with Robinson, we shouldn’t be holding the breath on that one.
dead wood like Frear and Diamantis should we cut away and sadly I can see Bigi also facing the door.
personally, I’d move McHugh on however it’s a bold move and one I doubt we will make.
Personally I would get shot of McHugh. I would take Alfred permanent and my back 3 would be dinner Alfred and Hartley I would push kipre forward ever so slightly and have him sit in front of the back three. He's not shy to push forward,has confidence to do so, can play a decent pass, big strong and wins most ball weather that be in the air or on the ground. Middle would be Tait on left Campbell middle cadden right tanner Infront main and possibly some when can link up better with him

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, milo said:

I think we’re missing a trick not getting Aldred on a permanent deal but it’s probably not as straight forward as that.

It’s been pointed out to me that he is still under contract at Bury, his wages will almost certainly be beyond what we can pay and he might not actually want to stay in Scotland.

He’s hardly put a foot wrong since he came in though.

If all we need is a backup player, McGuire will do just fine.

If we are definitely losing one of the back 3 in the summer, then it makes more sense to try and bring him back.

As I've said before if we can replace anyone we have with better then nobody should be considered safe. To progress as a club we have to have that mindset. Carson can leave with my blessing if we get a nice wee bit of wedge and replace him with better. Main as much as I love all aspects of his game, if we can get a striker who brings more, can add more and scores more then ..... thanks Curtis big fella, all the best.

That said, I'd like to see some astute business to match our previous dealings. We will have bump in funds last season and expect us to go from the second lowest player budget to at least 10th with Livvy and St Mirren coming up. Let us not ignore agents will be wise to it and try to exploit our success this season.

I sincerely hope the Gannon chief scout shite patter is dead and buried after what Robinson pulled off last summer and 6 months ago, you'd say certainly +65% success rate.

What I think will happen, Carson has attracted attention and no doubt column inches due to Celtic's stop-gap interest and record 20 clean sheet season (the latter not getting much coverage outside Motherwell except for those who's job it is to collate stats). I see him going and to be fair, he's earned it. I do think he will look upon the move here as a sound one in his career. 

I think Kipre will stay until at least January and build on his growing CV. He will be a shoe in next summer if not. I suspect one of Campbell or Cadden will get an offer. I think Campbell will see merit in staying as our style suits him perfectly, while Cadden may wish to move as his development plateaued this season (Scotland call up aside) and he may feel a new club and tactics may all it to get back onto course. I have heard many good reports on what Turnbull could bring, how many of us knew anything of Campbell a year ago?

I wonder what scoring a teaker would do for Bowman's confidence rather than a shin roller or deflected in off his hip. I do think as others have pointed out that Main who is undoubtedly our primary striker could maybe benefit from a foil rather than a mirror of what he brings.

Still think despite the amount of personnel we have, our midfield is our Achilles heel.

Therefore I'd be expecting the head of recruitment, statisticians and moneyball aficionados within the club to be focusing on 2 goalkeepers, a left sided defender/wingback, a striker, advanced midfielder to compliment Main (however a fit Tanner may be that solution) and a playmaker. The playmaker being the holy grail of football as they are the most sought after and hardest to recruit. If they pull any more gems out the bag for positions we consider already covered in Louis Moult/Marvin mould then will be delighted in 2020 when the cheque arrives.

Some direct quotes from Michael O’Halloran’s agent saying we were close to signing him in January (was part of the media madness around him being in the Celtic end at the weekend).

Wonder if Robinson will have another attempt at it in the summer.

Yeah it’s possible . He’s not been playing and needs games plus wee Northern Ireland connection with Robinson . Possibly be good place to resurrect his career . We need pace in the team particularly down the left hand side so would be a good fit 

21 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

Yeah it’s possible . He’s not been playing and needs games plus wee Northern Ireland connection with Robinson . Possibly be good place to resurrect his career . We need pace in the team particularly down the left hand side so would be a good fit 

I’d take him in a heartbeat, we need pace down both sides in my opinion

would like to see someone like him come in on the left, Tait move back to the right and I’d actually like to see cadden play central with Campbell and one other. I think cadds would be a great acquisition of a box to box Type centre mid for us 

Having watched mchugh closely this season I’m of the opinion he’s not a midfielder but a centre half which I believe is position he played until Derek Adams decided he was a midfield player. His peripheral vision /awareness is poor for a midfielder and and his passing is poor .When he’s facing the play he looks much better and wins a lot of headers and tackles . So on that basis I see him as a centre half . Big question is does the manager !!!!.

9 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

Having watched mchugh closely this season I’m of the opinion he’s not a midfielder but a centre half which I believe is position he played until Derek Adams decided he was a midfield player. His peripheral vision /awareness is poor for a midfielder and and his passing is poor .When he’s facing the play he looks much better and wins a lot of headers and tackles . So on that basis I see him as a centre half . Big question is does the manager !!!!.

I think you will find it is McHugh that thinks he’s a midfielder and prefers it to centre back; which is the reason why I think we’d be best placed to cut our loses with him and replace him with a genuine defensive midfielder.

You wonder if O’Halloran agent is full of pish......stating that he did not know he would be sitting amongst Celtic fans.  He was there to watch us. Given Celtic fans had 3/4 of the stadium and it was clear what our sections were. Sounds like nonsense to me. 

That said unlikely he has a future at Rangers, but he has 1 yr left on his deal I believe. Did he not turn us down to go on loan to St Johnstone ? All that said I would take him at Motherwell but it is unlikely to happen imho. 

Feel sorry for McHugh. I think he has done well enough this season. Although I don’t have him down as our Captain. I do agree he has had some indifferent performances last couple of months. Not least in the final hence the comments on here.

Would love it if Alfred came back next season. Seems like he would like to judging by his comments and we are obviously talking to Bury to see if it is a possibility. The key problem here is he has done very well and that means Bury may want to keep him or more likely other clubs would be interested. Time will tell.

I'm not sure McHugh has done *that* badly to warrant getting punted the first chance we get.  His captaincy probably does let him away with a bit more than others perhaps would, but he's been a consistent if not eye-catching presence during his time with the club.  I suppose his future depends a lot on how Robinson will want us to play next season - more of the same or do we try and introduce a bit more football to the equation?

A don’t think he’s that bad a player but to be frank it’s the manager who decides where and how you play not the player . Thought he was decent at centre back last season and decent when he filled in there this season . Lots of the support just can’t wait for him to make a mistake and crucify him   . Tbf though it’s infuriating the times he gets caught in procession . Just feel he’s better facing the play . Was one of the reasons we stayed up last year . It’s a tough one as he’s our captain but he’s a defender not a midfielder no matter what he thinks 

2 hours ago, Mintymac said:

O'Halloran? He was born in Glasgow and has played with Scotland through the age groups.

We've been linked with him fairly consistently over the past few windows so there's a reasonable amount of what his agent is saying stacks up. I'm pretty sure there were mentions on here that he was someone we had been speaking to in January but were miles apart in any sort of agreement. I'd imagine the landscape may have changed for him given his current situation at Ibrox.

We don't play with wingers and I don't see us switching from the back 3 with wing backs any time soon. O'Halloran isn't a wing back so if we were interested in signing him it'd presumably be to play as a striker (where he's played on occasion for St Johnstone) or off the forwards in the sort of area Tanner operates.

On the face of it I'd have said that O'Halloran would be the type of player we'd have liked Petravicius to be (but clearly isn't).

McHugh was taken off at 60 minutes in the final because the manager had no choice but to try something. He’s had the same issues all season but rarely been out of the team, when there were other options available. He might not be the player we want him to be, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest the manager doesn’t want him.

Stephen Robinson quoted in the Evening Times as saying he wants to strengthen 3/4 areas of the team.  He wants more pace, energy and "ownership in the midle of the park".  

So it would seem he's not entirely happy with our central midfield, and of course he quite right.  Just a thought....if we can improve our ball winning skills in the middle yet further it makes it easier for creative players to do their thing there.  Celtic proved on Saturday that we still have a bit to go yet to match the top sides in midfield in terms of energy, physicality and ball winning ability.   

Bottom line is that a minor / fine tuning exercise is turning into something a bit more and rightly so.

The following players will leave the club when their contract expires at the end on 31 May 2018.

• Russell Griffiths
  • Deimantas Petravičius
  • Ellis Plummer
  • Luke Watt (Under 20s)
  • Dylan King (Under 20s)

The following loans will expire when the summer transfer window opens again in early June:

• Tom Aldred (Bury)
  • Nadir Çiftçi (Celtic)
  • Stephen Hendrie (Southend United)

Stephen Craigan has offered the following youngsters extended terms with the club:

• Shea Gordon
  • Adam Livingstone
  • Barry Maguire
  • James Scott
  • Peter Morrison
  • Jason Krones
  • Jordan Armstrong
  • Shaun Bowers
  • Alfredo Agyeman

‘Well boss Stephen Robinson said: “I would like to put on record my thanks to each of the lads leaving the club this week.

“Although Russell, Deimantas and Ellis weren’t regular starters in our first team for whatever reason, they contributed significantly by being great professionals and pushing those who were playing.

“I’d also like to record my appreciation to Tom, Nadir and Stephen, who joined us during the January window and helped us finish the season so strongly. 

“We have been working on recruiting new players over the last few weeks. This summer will be different to last, where we made wholesale changes to the squad. We are more concentrated on fine tuning and tweaking certain areas, adding things we think we’re missing and that’s our mission.”

Motherwell Football Club would like to sincerely thank every player who is leaving Fir Park for the last time and wish them all every success in their future career.

• Like 1

No surprises with the released list at all, and good to see some of the promising youngsters like Scott, Agyeman, McGuire and Livingstone signed up for longer terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk