The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

12 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

No surprises there really, except perhaps Demi moving on. Not because he was any good, just because Robinson seemed to persist with him.

He did, but we also didn't have an abundance of fit, attacking alternatives around the fringes that could've been playing instead.

7 minutes ago, Well-Made said:

No mention of George Newell, was he not only on a 1 year deal.. or did I miss something?

His contract expires next year. It was announced as a 1 year deal but presumably there's been a low key extension.

No surprises at all with the released list - wonder if we will see another keeper coming in (irrespective of what happens with Carson) or if we'll run with Rohan Ferguson as backup.  I noticed before that we'd offered a contract to Dheeraj Singh too - I assume nothing really came of that?

EDIT - here's a bit more on the Singh transfer: https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/facing-work-permit-issues-dheeraj-singh-moirangthem-looks-to-sign-for-motherwell-in-2019

Oh and if the other Rangers player is Kenny Miller I won't be happy...

41 minutes ago, wellman said:

I've heard today from apparently a good source that we are in the process of signing two 

Rangers players one being O'Halloran and that Carson is definitely away .

What about their NI keeper - Alnwick.

Possibility?

19 hours ago, Shaka said:

Ok then lads, exactly who is signing Bigi and Carson as you both are apparently "in the know!"

Thats the main thing that gets on my tits at this time of year , "Player A is away, heard it here first" Aye? Well why dont you enlighten us?   Either substantiate your claims or stfu, its tedious

Carson is off to Cardiff according to a relative of his, hopefully giving you a club now substantiates it for you

1 hour ago, wellman said:

I've heard today from apparently a good source that we are in the process of signing two 

Rangers players one being O'Halloran and that Carson is definitely away .

Can't think of many players in that squad that tick both boxes in terms of being affordable and also being players that we'd want. Which leads me to think that at least one of them would be a very young player on the fringes of their squad...

EDIT If you go down the road of 'well, he's from Northern Ireland' and given we're looking for a wing back, could Hodson be someone we'd look at and could afford? Also young guy Jordan Thompson on loan at Livingston is Northern Irish and pretty sure I heard Craigan say on commentary that he's a player he knows well...

Would be good if the other Ranger's target was Ryan Hardie. Excellent goal scoring record when on Loan at Raith (last season) and Livi (since January window). Natural goal scorer and  an alternative style to what we have at present. A good foil for either Bowman or Main. Also young enough to spend time with us before moving on for decent money.  Livi will want to keep him but surely we are a more attractive option

I don't get this Kipre is definately away chat. 

Kipre has just completed his first full season as a pro and he will want to stay playing week in, week out for his development. Should he leave us this summer, that isn't guaranteed. He will still be with us until at the very least January, but see him being here until next summer. Have complete confidence in that. 

Said a few weeks back, the only player we would be losing that we want to keep is Carson. Back in the middle of April I heard a pretty concrete rumour of Hull and Cardiff both being very keen with the latter the more likely destination. 

Of our other "sellable assets" at present:

• The compo we would get for Cadds leaving under freedom of contract is more than he would command in a transfer fee.
  • Main has just joined the club, be here til next summer.
  • Dunne - if there was a real chance he could be off this summer wouldn't have signed a new contract
  • Campbell - just had his first full season, tied down to long contract and similar to Cadds his compo fee under freedom of contract is rising all the time.

We may try to offload Bigirimana - I hope we don't - and Frear this summer, but we find ourselves in an utterly unique position in that we should retain the crux of our squad for the following season. 

Priority for me is a new goalkeeper (to replace Carson), a natural LB/LM and probably 2 strikers, one who can play wide if required - O'Halloran fits that bill perfectly. If we get the chance to sign Aldred then it may be worth it, although with Kipre, Dunne and Hartley he isn't essential - Maguire offers the back-up - and would maybe use a wage that can be applied elsewhere. 

Next season we should be looking to get a few more youngsters into the team as well which will provide us with more cover. 

13 minutes ago, CoF said:

If Kipre and Aldred are gone, what's the odds of McHugh dropping back and Robinson concentrating on replacements in the midfield?

I’m not sure McHugh has the attributes Robinson likes in his back 3.

Regarding the rumoured interest in Rangers players, it would be great to get a permanent deal for O’Halloran over the line.   

6 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

I think you will find it is McHugh that thinks he’s a midfielder and prefers it to centre back;

I believe that's referred to "The Hateley Delusion" in psychology circles.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CoF said:

If Kipre and Aldred are gone, what's the odds of McHugh dropping back and Robinson concentrating on replacements in the midfield?

I'd put McGuire in if that was to happen.

I don't think we should let the final cloud our judgement on Bigi. He done well on Saturday and is clearly a techincally gifted footballer but the style we play and the league up here does not suit him at all. He hasn't met expectations when given the chance and we should look to move him on. Bigi will be on a decent wage which can be better spent elsewhere.

Overall if we keep the squad we have just now (unlikely) I would be looking for:

Left wing back - I think this is essential. Pace and someone that can defend would be fab.

Centre back - Retain Aldred or find replacement

Centre mid - We need someone of genuine quality in the middle of the park to help our combative players. Offloading Bigi should free up money for this.

Striker - One who can compete with Bowman and chip in up front. Still lacking goals in this team.

Creative mid - Someone in the Tanner mould with a bit more pace and quality would be nice.

Realistically I predict Carson will be away. Apart from that I'm not convinced any of our other key players will be away. Kipre and Cadden will be here another year I think.

If we can add better quality in the above positions and give Turnbull, Maclean and Maguire a chance in the first team squad I think we can realistically challenge for the top six.
I would much rather we tried to bring in 4 higher paid/quality players and give the young guys a chance than bring in bigger numbers. I don't think there is any need to try to 'replace' the likes of Plummer, Demi and Hendrie. Let the young guys fill these slots. If we could bring in 3/4 new first team players I would be really pleased.

Mabye of no significance whatsoever but FWIW I was up at Fir Park today and I saw what looked like a footballer and partner being shown round the ground by Mr Robinson.

As I could only see him from a distance I cant tell you who he is but he looked very tall. 

For all I know mabye our manager was just showing a family member where he works.

Wee resemblance to Gunnar Neilson though!!!  

Newell hasn't done anything to deserve an extra year so no wonder it was done on the fly. Robinson deserves credit for making the club much more professional  on the playing side but there is something off about this given he's apparently good mates with Mike Newell.

Petravicius made 14 appearances which was 13 too many.  The guy was Jacob Blyth level shite yet kept on getting picked for the squad and time on the park.

1 hour ago, Lukemfc1 said:

I don't think we should let the final cloud our judgement on Bigi. He done well on Saturday and is clearly a techincally gifted footballer but the style we play and the league up here does not suit him at all. He hasn't met expectations when given the chance and we should look to move him on. Bigi will be on a decent wage which can be better spent elsewhere.

I get where you're coming from but there are games when we are behind and need to change our style of play. Leaving the final to one side, as I think Celtic had taken their foot off the gas and it's probably an unfair comparison anyway, he totally changed the two games at Firhill and looked good against Accies by attempting to pick out passes. He's still got another year and I wouldn't mind seeing if he can take his recent form into next season but I don't think he's combative enough to be a regular starter under Robinson.

Unfortunately I don't think we can afford the type of player that is going to pick the passes and put the level of effort in that we're looking for.

I'd have Nadir back, get a pre season under him and he could be some player for us.

Aldred, sign up 100%

McHugh, squad player status has been confirmed over the last few weeks, not sure where i see his role in the team.

Gutted if Carson goes, but I doubt we have much say in the matter. Will be really hard to replace him.

O'Halloran - would be the type of player we need, we lack pace in the side.

7 hours ago, fizoxy said:

McHugh was taken off at 60 minutes in the final because the manager had no choice but to try something.

Not wholly true.  Yes he wanted to try something different  by taking off a defensive central midfielder but he could have taken off either Campbell or Grimshaw but chose not to.  Instead he substituted his captain.  That speaks volumes.