The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

I'm NOT comparing their ability levels, but Tommy Coyne was never the quickest or most mobile of players, and how many times would he be caught offside in a game? He could come up with stuff nobody saw coming though. Or even Stevie Kirk? They could frustrate the hell out of you, but they were entertainers. Two workhorses up front is fine if you're not looking for that something out of the ordinary now and then.

30 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

I believe if you take Moult out the equation then the next top scorer for us with 10 goals in all competitions was Ryan Bowman, not bad going for a guy who many feel isn't good enough for our level.

Bowman has his merits but he's scored 9 league goals in 56 appearances.  Even though his goalscoring improved last season he still only got 7 league goals.  That's not enough for over a season.

Between them Main and Bowman only scored 3 goals in our last 11 matches from 18 starts and 4 sub appearances. A goal every 6 matches from your strikers is way off.

Goal scoring has been a problem since Moult left and even more so since Tanner's injury.  It's one of the things Robinson will have to sort out during the close season.  We need a 'natural' goalscorer and they don't grow on trees.

If someone plays an entire season up front, it is not unreasonable to expect them tobe in double figures for goals scored. As such, it is something that needs to be addressed in this transfer window. Unfortunately, we are not in the position to be able to buy such a playeroff the shelf. A bit of a punt is required and, as such, I would not be surprised to see a couple of forwards signed on.

10 minutes ago, The African said:

A bit of a punt is required and, as such, I would not be surprised to see a couple of forwards signed on.

I think that Robbo has siad in the past that he likes 4 "senior" strikers and so on that basis and like you, I'm expecting a couple of new signings. 

Just to put context into the Nadir/fitness chat.

Lionel Ainsworth drifted from engaged to passive in games. That inevitably drove many on here mad with seethe. I think it would be much of the same if he did secure a contract. I suspect his agent knows he won't get anything like he's on at Celtic so potentially see out his contract with more loans. I've seen nothing to suggest he's be willing to take a pay cut to get regular football.

If Robinson goes out and secures another unheard of guy like Moult or Main this summer who turns out to be a revelation then all will be forgiven. 

17 hours ago, AlmostFrazzled said:

It's probably something that's inherent in football culture in this country where if someone doesn't run about enough they are deemed to be unfit/lazy/disinterested. There's something about players that have the ability but look like they're not breaking sweat that I love watching. Obviously different standard but Berbatov is one of my favourite players ever and he rarely looked like he gave a toss, but still played the game like it was the easiest thing in the world. 

N7jlsWQ.gif

Berbatov was class.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Bowman has his merits but he's scored 9 league goals in 56 appearances.  Even though his goalscoring improved last season he still only got 7 league goals.  That's not enough for over a season.

Between them Main and Bowman only scored 3 goals in our last 11 matches from 18 starts and 4 sub appearances. A goal every 6 matches from your strikers is way off.

Goal scoring has been a problem since Moult left and even more so since Tanner's injury.  It's one of the things Robinson will have to sort out during the close season.  We need a 'natural' goalscorer and they don't grow on trees.

I was watching some of the highlights from this season the other day and looking at a lot of the goals we scored (particularly earlier in the season) were from creative midfielders driving at the opposition's penalty area and sliding in a striker for a finish. We then tended to lose that as the season progressed, as the formation of having 3 combative midfielders in a 5 across the middle became the staple. Whilst I agree we need a goalscorer (which as you point out will be difficult) I think our biggest need is a proper box to box midfielder with a bit of creativity to feed Main and Bowman's feet in and around the box, as they're both powerful enough to either take it into feet, turn and get a shot away, or out-muscle a defender to get on a through ball and finish.

Now, my dream is that it may well be Campbell next year as I think that's the next step in his natural progression; you can see glimpses of what he can do (goal against Rangers for example) but I also don't think we should be putting that kind of pressure on him and let him develop at his own pace. I'd love it if Bigi got a chance but I just can't see it as you'd have to kick out one of the other midfielders to accommodate him.

We didn't really get to see a lot of what Tanner and Main could do together this season because of Tanner's injury. I think that relationship will be crucial to Main kicking on and scoring more regularly next season.

On 5/23/2018 at 11:58 AM, Yassin said:

Have you seen him play over the last 2 years? He's not progressed at all since his first run in team.

What to you gauge as progression?

• 2014/15 season - 3 apperances
  • 2015/16 season - 21 apperances
  • 2016/17 season - 42 apperances, called up to the Scotland Under 21 team
  • 2017/18 season - 44 apperances, Scotland U21s and now called up at an international level.

When he was injured this season we went on about a 10 game losing streak.

He is 21 years old and has played over 100 games for Motherwell. He must be doing something right!

• Like 13

Marc O'Hara of Dundee, who the papers linked us with a few months ago, has now signed with Peterborough. Wonder if he was one of the Scottish based names Robinson had said he was talking to.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:52 PM, smiddy said:

if we sell carson for a mill ,,, we will get the Liverpool goalie for feck aw as he tries to rebuild his career,,,,,, !!!!!! you don't see they simple mistakes doon the miners 

Sorry but he'd give me the fear when it comes to the big games.... if he can handle the pressure of the CL FInal, how's he gonna handle the games against the Accies???? :)

• Haha 2

There was a medical the day after the final planned (don't know if that happened) and Robinson shared on the podcast that he didn't notice the banners and bunting when being driven through Motherwell by Las because he was on his phone trying to secure players. Flow pretty much said the same.

I can only think the strips were delayed for new sponsor logo's (apparently still in negotiation) and maybe roll out the new players off the back of that. Otherwise you have to find someone photogenic who's in the area to go for a shoot.

2 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

There was a medical the day after the final planned (don't know if that happened) and Robinson shared on the podcast that he didn't notice the banners and bunting when being driven through Motherwell by Las because he was on his phone trying to secure players. Flow pretty much said the same.

I can only think the strips were delayed for new sponsor logo's (apparently still in negotiation) and maybe roll out the new players off the back of that. Otherwise you have to find someone photogenic who's in the area to go for a shoot.

20 quid and you can paint it on me Ayr United style. 

• Haha 3