The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Will Rangers not be wanting money for O'Halloran? I'd imagine they'd much rather be selling than lending and he's under contract until about 2020.

Remember that Stevie G has a war chest with £ gazillions in it, so MO’H might be surplus to requirements 

For what it’s worth, of the rumours so far I’d say: O’Halloran > Ciftci > Murray 

I was speaking to a Carlisle supporter I know who said that Gillespie is a good keeper and they could have been doing with him back. Said he's good all-round, very good shot stopper but maybe needs to improve his distribution. Still young and has potential. 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Will Rangers not be wanting money for O'Halloran? I'd imagine they'd much rather be selling than lending and he's under contract until about 2020.

I think you're probably right, but they're welcome to want money for him, I can't imagine anyone who'd pay it though.

This article suggests we paid a fee for Donnelly.

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/hartlepool-united/liam-donnelly-knocks-back-pools-contract-to-seal-scottish-premiership-deal-1-9197418

Liam Donnelly knocks back Pools contract to seal Scottish Premiership deal

Hartlepool United defender Liam Donnelly has signed a deal with Scottish Premiership outfit Motherwell.

The Northern Ireland under-21 skipper knocked back the chance to extend his Pools stay and instead opted to head north of the border to join former Victoria Park teammate Trevor Carson at Fir Park.

Despite Donnelly's deal coming to end this month, Pools still receive a development fee for the player, who was signed by current director of football Craig Hignett from Premier League side Fulham in August 2016.

In a statement released to the club website, the fee changing hands was described as "undisclosed", although Pools are thought to have banked a significant fee due to the player's development during his time at the Vic, especially on the international stage, and down to the number of first team games played by the defender.

The statement reads: "Liam Donnelly has this afternoon completed a move to Scottish Premier League outfit Motherwell for an undisclosed fee.

"The Northern Ireland Under-21 international travelled to Scotland on Wednesday to undergo a medical and now all terms have been agreed to confirm his switch to Fir Park.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

I think you're probably right, but they're welcome to want money for him, I can't imagine anyone who'd pay it though.

Pretty much. From the outside looking in they're in a position whether they can either just let him bleed them for the next 2 years or they cut their losses and work out a deal/package with him if there are clubs interested (assuming he's amenable to it). It's unlikely that any club could afford to match his wage is going to want him and those clubs who would show an interest are only going to be able to offer a fraction.

If they're not happy with loaning him out and genuinely want a clean slate with him off the books then something's got to give one way or another.

A nominal fee with a decent sell on % could be their best hope of recouping something long term but even then you'd think they'll have to cough up on his wages in the short term. With 2 years still to run on his deal I'd have thought it'd be a pretty hard sell to get him to settle.

3 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

This article suggests we paid a fee for Donnelly.

The news release on the official site confirms that in the 2nd paragraph.

The 22-year-old Northern Ireland international centre back has signed an initial two-year contract, subject to the usual registration formalities, with the club paying an undisclosed fee for his services.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Pretty much. From the outside looking in they're in a position whether they can either just let him bleed them for the next 2 years or they cut their losses and work out a deal/package with him if there are clubs interested (assuming he's amenable to it). It's unlikely that any club could afford to match his wage is going to want him and those clubs who would show an interest are only going to be able to offer a fraction.

There's clubs in the English Conference that can afford to pay transfer fees and wages that we can't. League Two and League one as well.

I'm not saying there is no chance he'd come to us - only that if Rangers are insistent on getting a fee, there may be other teams that can afford it.

9 hours ago, weeyin said:

There's clubs in the English Conference that can afford to pay transfer fees and wages that we can't. League Two and League one as well.

I'm not saying there is no chance he'd come to us - only that if Rangers are insistent on getting a fee, there may be other teams that can afford it.

And I'm not saying that he'll come to us only that there aren't going to be many (if any) teams at any level who are going to be willing to pay a remotely substantial fee for a player whose only first team football amounted to (literally) a solitary minute in 6 months and whose Rangers career amounts to less than 2000 mins of football in roughly 2.5 years nor will there be much incentive for a buying club to match a reported 6k p/w salary.

To all intents and purposes O'Halloran's the Rangers version of Ciftci. As thisGRAEME says Rangers can want a fee all they like but good luck finding someone willing to pay it.

2 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Stephen Pearson in a suit with a player at fir park today ...

Was it Freddie Dindeleux ?

• Haha 1

Stephen Pearson’s twitter bio currently says ‘consultant @basesoccer’ which as far as I can tell is a agency so he must have moved into that game. 

Supermarv could be on to something. 

Crawford needs a fresh start away from accies. Be delighted if it was for us.

I think Carson will be off. His international commitments over the last couple of weeks have probably delayed a move. Cardiff most probably his next club.

The Donnelly signing is a strange one.  Seems too good a player to be coming to warm the bench.  Could we be going for a flat back four this season of Kipre, Donnelly, Hartley and Dunn ? 

20 minutes ago, something else said:

Crawford needs a fresh start away from accies. Be delighted if it was for us.

I think Carson will be off. His international commitments over the last couple of weeks have probably delayed a move. Cardiff most probably his next club.

The Donnelly signing is a strange one.  Seems too good a player to be coming to warm the bench.  Could we be going for a flat back four this season of Kipre, Donnelly, Hartley and Dunn ? 

Talking to Accies' fans, Crawford for the last couple of seasons has only turned it on when it seemed to suit him. They're not that upset to see him go. Would assume signing Crawford would see at least one midfielder leave. 

Can't see us switching to that particular back four given we've a natural right back in Tait. For me, the signing of Donnelly suggests more that either Kipré is away this summer or that Maguire is out of the plans following mixed performances. 

Really looking to see us sign a natural left wing back but it's been quiet on that position...

Motherwell are ready to make a move for midfielder Ali Crawford, the midfielder who has rejected a new deal at neighbours Hamilton Academical, if the 26-year-old fails to secure his preferred option of a move to English football. (The Herald)

On the one hand I wonder how he will feel if he doesn't get the move down south he preferred. On the other, Robinson may offer him a new lease of life and he could be the creative force we currently lack. Spells the end of Bigi though.

Donnelly sounds a good signing. Last year proved we can't go into a season with just three recognised central defenders. It will be interesting to see if he has the pace to play wing back as well. However, I don't think we should just depend on him filling the left wing vacancy.

Sounds like O'Halloran is not coming our way. Hope we find someone similar with pace.