The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

57 minutes ago, Well 4 Europe said:

He scored 13 league goals last season actually, 20 in all competitions and has over 50 in 3 seasons at Gateshead.  

For a frame of reference, his goals to games record at that level is better than both Bowman’s and Moult’s before they joined.

Not that stats really mean anything of course, as you say I guess it all comes down to Robinson’s judgement and whether you trust it or not.

Had only a quick glance at his stats. Closer look at Soccerbase suggests you're closer to the truth although under other comps they have him scoring 7 goals in 0 starts and 0 sub appearances. He must be good if he can score 7 without playing. 

Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon but it's not a signing that would excite me...

Had only a quick glance at his stats. Closer look at Soccerbase suggests you're closer to the truth although under other comps they have him scoring 7 goals in 0 starts and 0 sub appearances. He must be good if he can score 7 without playing. 

Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon but it's not a signing that would excite me...

Perhaps not but I doubt any signing we make will be 'exciting' given the market we operate in. We have to trust our management teams ability to identify the potential a player has. Anyone with a proven recent track record at a decent level that would excite those of a curmudgeonly predeliction is most probably beyond us.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

To be fair Robinson has done well. He seems to be able to bring out the best in players that were hardly setting the world on fire at other clubs, Hartley and Aldred both far from rated by fans of their previous clubs just two examples.

11 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Would be nice to have a striker who wasn't from the north east of England...

I think you're onto something. I'm away to edit Ciftci's Wikipedia birthplace to Sunderland and hope Robinson sees it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, supermarv said:

Any player that we are going to pay a fee for I reckon we must get excited about as we won’t be paying money for no reason. Perhaps an opinion from a Gateshead fan would help.

Johnson's 25 and will be out of contract so presumably there wouldn't be a fee to pay. I'm not sure if that has an impact on the excitement scale.

1 hour ago, DEWELL said:

Cheers from me thanx for one decent game against a crap Accies team that were on the beach and all the best.

Agreed. A luxury we can't really afford in my opinion. He'll likely be on his travels again by January after getting sent off and gaining 25lbs.

Can’t decide if Nadir is a lazy, washed out prima donna who only looks interested in playing when someone gives him the ball or if he simply looks out of sorts as he didn’t fit into our system. Either way, if you  consider his overall contribution from January then there is no way he should get a sniff of a permanent deal. Thanks but no thanks, we can (and will) do better 

• Like 1

Our recruitment of strikers recently has been a bit hit and miss compared with other positions. Blyth/Fletcher/Newall/Petravičius/Fisher (and for some, Bowman) haven't covered themselves in glory.

Our recruitment of strikers recently has been a bit hit and miss compared with other positions. Blyth/Fletcher/Newall/Petravičius/Fisher (and for some, Bowman) haven't covered themselves in glory.
Aye but Moult and Higdon did, Sutton did ok and I wouldn't write Newell off yet. The rest I agree although at the time thought Fisher a decent signing. Wonder if an early goal would have made a difference

Sutton scored 12 in his last season with us (which was decent). Since Sutton left, Moult was obviously brilliant. Main has been solid, then there's been a huge drop off. 

I haven't written off Newell, but so far he seems to be one of those guys that is always injured. 

Seen a wee snippet in the daily record today that Dumbarton are going to sound out Motherwell about taking George Newell on loan, I think that would be a good move for him actually to go there and get games as well as hopefully rattle in a few goals and get his confidence up.

Seen a wee snippet in the daily record today that Dumbarton are going to sound out Motherwell about taking George Newell on loan, I think that would be a good move for him actually to go there and get games as well as hopefully rattle in a few goals and get his confidence up.
Agreed