The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

Dont forget the rest of the UK is looking for agood cheap striker along wi us . We have a market to operate in and i think we have done ok. We are priced out of any established strikers so we need to gamble a bit.

16 minutes ago, stv said:

Dont forget the rest of the UK is looking for agood cheap striker along wi us . We have a market to operate in and i think we have done ok. We are priced out of any established strikers so we need to gamble a bit.

Absolutely.

I wasn't complaining about our hit rate when it comes to strikers. Just pointing out that it's all very well saying stay away from guys like Cifcti and bring in someone "better" - except "better' is not that easy to find.

1 hour ago, Del_Superwell said:

Seen a wee snippet in the daily record today that Dumbarton are going to sound out Motherwell about taking George Newell on loan, I think that would be a good move for him actually to go there and get games as well as hopefully rattle in a few goals and get his confidence up.

A loan til January would suit then give me a wee chance to see what he can do for us as I’m sure his contract runs out at the end on 2019 season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Career wise I wonder where he's going.  He spent a fair few months at Airdrie last season and I assumed that he be brought back this season.  However if thats him going out on loan already I wonder if he has a future with us.   

Going by Goodwin's quotes, we've not written Hastie off but then again what we say in public may be different to what we say in private. Certainly League One to the Premier League would be a jump so games at Championship level might not be a bad idea. 

However as Steelboy points out, it's pretty difficult for any winger to get a game for us in our favoured 352 formation. An established professional like Frear struggles to get game time, something that doesn't bode well for Hastie.

As an aside, I gather MacLean sees himself as a centre midfielder in a similar role that Tanner played but I think his time has come and gone given how little game time he got last season...

41 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Career wise I wonder where he's going.  He spent a fair few months at Airdrie last season and I assumed that he be brought back this season.  However if thats him going out on loan already I wonder if he has a future with us.   

He's only 18, still developing...

37 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

He's only 18, still developing...

Turned 19 a few months back. Or to put it another way, he's only nine months younger than Allan Campbell. Or three months older than David Turnbull. I know players develop at different rates and in different positions but the 'he's only 19' argument is a conservative one that holds back player development in this country. Not suggesting it's the only factor but it plays a part...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Turned 19 a few months back. Or to put it another way, he's only nine months younger than Allan Campbell. Or three months older than David Turnbull. I know players develop at different rates and in different positions but the 'he's only 19' argument is a conservative one that holds back player development in this country. Not suggesting it's the only factor but it plays a part...

That’ll be me told. Guessed his age as he was at school with my lad before entering the school of football.

My reply was in defence of a future at the club being written off having not reached the end of his first contract rather than holding back development. Inclusion of a Frear has done enough to stunt that.

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

If Stevie Hammel is anything to do with it, he has most definitely got a bright and very successful career ahead of him, so cannot see SR disagreeing with him.

having watched him playing in the under 20's prior the end of the season, he was stand out player for us and I am sure SR is well informed.

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

That’ll be me told. Guessed his age as he was at school with my lad before entering the school of football.

My reply was in defence of a future at the club being written off having not reached the end of his first contract rather than holding back development. Inclusion of a Frear has done enough to stunt that.

I wasn't actually having a go at you. More the culture in the clubs in Scotland which leads to guys like Ross MacLean with around 20 career appearances at the age of 21, leads to us offering Ali Crawford a contract when we have David Turnbull on the books. 

Clearly I'm embracing the role of resident sorearse this summer. Just feel as if we hold our young players back at times. With our U20s being reasonably successful recently, I'd like to see more of them. Robinson is right in that you can't flood the team with them but I'm pretty sure Livingstone could have done as good a job at wing back as Frear. From his brief appearances, pretty sure any of our U20s could have contributed as much as Petravicius.

Rant over for now...

50 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

Michael o'halloran also set to complete a deal to melbourne city in the next 48 hours, so that probably rules the two players we have all heard of signing on.

No surprise whatsoever.  Perhaps now we can put these potential signings behind us and move on to more realistic targets.   

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

Michael o'halloran also set to complete a deal to melbourne city in the next 48 hours, so that probably rules the two players we have all heard of signing on.

I had heard a rumour a few weeks back that O'Halloran was coming in a swap deal for Chris Cadden. Person who told me this was pretty convinced this would happen. 

It makes me wonder if there is any interest in Cadden. Out of contract next summer (and I know we'd still be due compensation), surely for our current model to work (and for the benefit of his own career), we need to be looking for bids for him...

31 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I had heard a rumour a few weeks back that O'Halloran was coming in a swap deal for Chris Cadden. Person who told me this was pretty convinced this would happen. 

It makes me wonder if there is any interest in Cadden. Out of contract next summer (and I know we'd still be due compensation), surely for our current model to work (and for the benefit of his own career), we need to be looking for bids for him...

31 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

if we are looking to sell a player he is the first id sell ahead of carson and kipre

absolutely wasted in the wing back position he has been playing for us. stick him right mid or right of a centre mid position and he will excel

31 minutes ago, dossertillidie said:

if we are looking to sell a player he is the first id sell ahead of carson and kipre

absolutely wasted in the wing back position he has been playing for us. stick him right mid or right of a centre mid position and he will excel

I reckon there are four players in our first team squad that we could possibly get money for. Unfortunately the two that we might struggle to replace are, I reckon, Carson and Kipré and those two are the ones we're most likely to get bids for. Cadden and Campbell are the other two. Cadden, we can and should be looking to replace with a natural left wing back. Campbell is a fantastic player and will get better but we do have bodies in the midfield who can do similar jobs even if not to the same level. 

So I'd agree, Cadden would be the ideal player to sell  But as I said in my earlier post, the question remains if there will be any interest...

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Depending on the league status of potential suitors (which factors into the development fee calculation) I think the club said Cadden would be worth around 600k if he left at the end of the contract - which is why Hearts offering less than that was derisory.  So I think this is a fairly unique case regarding offers and a situation where letting him see out his contract isn't a terrible approach.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Depending on the league status of potential suitors (which factors into the development fee calculation) I think the club said Cadden would be worth around 600k if he left at the end of the contract - which is why Hearts offering less than that was derisory.  So I think this is a fairly unique case regarding offers and a situation where letting him see out his contract isn't a terrible approach.

Isnt it the case that cross border transfers DONT incur a fee if the player is 22 or 23? Im sure weve used that rule to our benefit. Could it now return to bite us?

25 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Isnt it the case that cross border transfers DONT incur a fee if the player is 22 or 23? Im sure weve used that rule to our benefit. Could it now return to bite us?

That was a different regulation, I think.

The FAI has a detailed breakdown of how it works on their web page here and it seems to apply in Cadden's case. (At least I think it's these rules that apply here).