The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

10 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

I was shot down earlier, but my first guess was Ali Crawford on the back of the newspaper rumour.

Does  Crawford fit the stature criteria ? Not for me.

24 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

I was shot down earlier, but my first guess was Ali Crawford on the back of the newspaper rumour.

Dont think he is in the 'cant believe we got him' mould as Rickoza puts it..decent player though

18 minutes ago, beastfromtheeast(stand) said:

The description fits Adam Barton to a tee and has featured for Northern Ireland in the past?

His comments about us in the Record in December.

“Battle is an appropriate word for the challenge Barton is preparing himself for today, judging by his scathing view of the approach taken by Hamilton and their Lanarkshire neighbours Motherwell.

He said: “I can remember playing them at theirs earlier this season and it wasn’t a nice game at all.

“Now I understand why Scottish football is getting the name it does which is a shame because there are a lot of good players and teams in this league.

“But for some reason the mentality up here is just to head it and kick it which I’m very surprised by.”

Some of his performances last season suggested he had forgotten how to do both.

25 minutes ago, beastfromtheeast(stand) said:

The description fits Adam Barton to a tee and has featured for Northern Ireland in the past?

Hahahaha fuck no.

11 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Mind you, I seem to remember SR referring to Andy Rose as an attacking player when we signed him!

In the squad just now we have so many midfielders that rly have the same skill set imo but i believe that Campbell is the most attacking player in that position excluding Tanner.

However, i believe with Robinsons comments on a player with "great stature"  he is trying to find a replacement for Mchugh in the middle that will provide same qualities as him (heading.) While being able to play on the deck a bit.

25 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Whit has happened to our 99.9% certain to sign midfielder ?

Difficult to believe it won’t go ahead. For a manager to say it’s over 99% done it would take something totally unexpected such as a player having a very last  minute change of heart. Maybe a small change to the contract.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Difficult to believe it won’t go ahead. For a manager to say it’s over 99% done it would take something totally unexpected such as a player having a very last  minute change of heart. Maybe a small change to the contract.

Or maybe a Mike Grella situation :ph34r:

The deal is prob already done and signed and they are just waiting to announce on a day they wish to announce it.

my understanding is the last signing was done a couple of weeks ago  but announced last week so we are prob planning our announcements out in line with commercial activities/ PR/ maybe even registration and medical reasons.

number of signings are never announced the actual day the deal is over the line for different reasons

once we start getting close to who it is I’m sure it will get announced 

5 minutes ago, dossertillidie said:

The deal is prob already done and signed and they are just waiting to announce on a day they wish to announce it.

my understanding is the last signing was done a couple of weeks ago  but announced last week so we are prob planning our announcements out in line with commercial activities/ PR/ maybe even registration and medical reasons.

number of signings are never announced the actual day the deal is over the line for different reasons

once we start getting close to who it is I’m sure it will get announced 

Good post which reflects the reality of signings.  In some cases there can be a time lag of a week or two.

53 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

If we’re after a ‘Nicky Law’ type player, and were rumoured to be signing someone with stature, what about the actual Nicky Law? Hasn’t he just become out of contract at Bradford?

He is, aye.

FWIW: here's the full quote from Robinson about the midfielder.

"I'd say we're 99.9% with a midfielder. We've been after him for a little while now. I think he gives us a real creativity in the centre of the pitch that perhaps we've been lacking at times and the one thing I thought we could improve on was a little bit of ownership of the game, more ownership of the game. Somebody to put their foot on the ball. So I think we're very, very close. We're practically over the line with that now and I do think that he'll be a really good addition. He's got stature about him, he can get about the pitch and as I say gives us a lot of composure on the ball"

As I said on here and P&B that, for me, reads like a pretty specific type of player. It sounds like a deep lying or central mid rather than an advanced #10 type and the 'stature' comment unsurprisingly sounds like Robinson's talking about a physical attribute rather than profile in the game (though there's no reason why it couldn't be both I suppose). It's a pretty crude way to view it but it sounds like a player who we're hoping gives us the physical side of McHugh's game with the technical side of Bigi's.

It's of course open to interpretation but that's my view on it anyway.

One thing that I would say is that it reads like a player who's being brought in with a view to going into the first team rather than that 13-18 group Robinson references earlier in the interview. As has been said earlier we've got plenty of midfielders with a specific skill-set so I'd have thought (hoped) if we're bringing another in then it's someone who offers something different to what we already have and is also an improvement on what we already have.

As for why it's not done, it could be something as simple as the player still being on holiday and not in the country to do the photocall. As others have said, there's every chance the deal is done in principle.