The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

Could be a Kipre, could be a Blyth. We’ll find out in due course. It’s going to be rare that we make a signing that gets everyone excited (bigi and fisher looked like they were going to be good ones this time last year, and Kipre was the second choice of the 2 defenders on trial.) Who was the last “known quantity” that we’ve signed?  

This guy trained with us in January, and we tried to get him then, so he must have impressed for us to keep up our pursuit. 

The numbers will sort themselves out,  we need a squad to get through the season, and there will no doubt be a couple of outgoings at some point. Robinson also likes a tactical substitution, so it’s good to have options.

Hopefully the guys going out on loan use it to force their way into our plans in January. That would be a nice problem to have. 

• Like 1

On 19/06/2018 at 4:26 AM, Goggles & Flippers said:

I heard it was a Spanish guy who we hoped to get last summer and we've redoubled our efforts this summer to secure

On 19/06/2018 at 10:00 AM, Well Well said:

Someone mentioned possibly a spaniard earlier, was there something in this or another rumour or straw clutching?

You're welcome .... 

12 hours ago, Shaka said:

Decent summer so far, 5 in, nothing to get excited about in terms of player quality, but overall a stronger squad than the one that ended the season.

Apologies, I misread your post, although it was a wee bit contradictory.  Yes, its stronger but I'd argue also better in terms of quality, although only time will tell about that. 

I think the concern with the signing of Gorrin is not necessarily his quality but if he's too similar in type to the midfielders that we already have on our books.  In terms of league goals from midfield, if you take Tanner out, it's slim pickings. Last season you had Allan Campbell and Andy Rose with two each leading the way. Gorrin's previous career doesn't suggest he'll solve that problem...

31 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I think the concern with the signing of Gorrin is not necessarily his quality but if he's too similar in type to the midfielders that we already have on our books. 

I don't think he is similar in style to the midfielders we already have Greg.  He's more of an all rounder who can combine aggression, tackling, good passing, and ball retention.  Captain Oats summed up his apparent skills well on Pie & Bovril.  He's more of a combination of what we already have, rolled into one player.  He seems comfortable on the ball and able to create openings.  Almost all of our current midfielders are one dimensional with the possible exception of Allan Campbell.  If he turns out well it will strengthen our midfield and add a bit of much needed creativity.     

46 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I think the concern with the signing of Gorrin is not necessarily his quality but if he's too similar in type to the midfielders that we already have on our books.  In terms of league goals from midfield, if you take Tanner out, it's slim pickings. Last season you had Allan Campbell and Andy Rose with two each leading the way. Gorrin's previous career doesn't suggest he'll solve that problem...

The arrival of ATS will hopefully mean that Tait can drop back to the RWB position, allowing Cadden to be played more centrally.  I've always felt he's much more effective from here, and with Campbell and either Rose/McHugh/Gorrin providing more defensive qualities I'd hope Cadden could push on again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, one m in motherwell said:

The arrival of ATS will hopefully mean that Tait can drop back to the RWB position, allowing Cadden to be played more centrally.  I've always felt he's much more effective from here, and with Campbell and either Rose/McHugh/Gorrin providing more defensive qualities I'd hope Cadden could push on again.

I actually expect us to sell Cadden and/or Campbell this summer...

50 minutes ago, one m in motherwell said:

This is absolutely my hope!

cadden and a creative midfielder it’s Campbell would be my first choice in the middle of the park

If Cadden does go, would Tanner perhaps work in his role (perhaps floating between the midfield and behind the front two)?

I'm loathe to shoehorn folk in where they aren't best suited, however the balance of our midfield is a bit skewed at the moment, and unless someone else leaves I can't see us bringing a proper attacking mid in.  

19 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's possible we'll change to a 4-3-2-1 with Tanner and Cadden supporting Main.

That’s what I’ve been wondering. It would be quite a bold move to change from a system that returned 20 clean sheets but some sort of 433 fits well with the current balance of the squad. It would get the best of our top forward thinking players, provide the width Robinson talks about and allow for an industrious midfield. 

This wasn’t an option last season as Moult couldn’t play upfront himself, Main most definitely can.

I see it requested often but I have to confess I have yet to be fully convinced that Cadden has been at his most effective for us when played centrally.  Don't get me wrong he hasn't been played there extensively but when I think of him offering most it's generally when he's fit, fresh, and getting down the right-hand side beyond the opposition left-back.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I see it requested often but I have to confess I have yet to be fully convinced that Cadden has been at his most effective for us when played centrally.  Don't get me wrong he hasn't been played there extensively but when I think of him offering most it's generally when he's fit, fresh, and getting down the right-hand side beyond the opposition left-back.

I do think he has a good bit to offer down the middle, he can get in good areas and make things happen. Pretty sure he played centrally versus Queens Park at Hampden, and v Hearts in the Scottish Cup and Rangers in the League (at Fir Park) and was relatively direct and creative through the middle in each game. Could be ultimately wrong but I’d like to see him get more of a chance there.  

You’re very right in pointing out that he has probably looked his best playing wide on the right and getting in behind the fullback, but maybe that’s just because he’s been used there more often. Time will tell I suppose

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Yer all in for a shock cos I bet McHugh is still the first name on the team sheet

Id be shocked if that WASNT the case. The only positive with that is he surely cant be any worse this season, and theres no way he can be as bad as his last performance

17 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Id be shocked if that WASNT the case. The only positive with that is he surely cant be any worse this season, and theres no way he can be as bad as his last performance

Given the plethora of midfielders on our books, I'm expecting one or two to leave before the window closes.  There may be interest in Cadden & Campbell and I'm not sure where Frear fits in now.  Our new signing may put Bigi or McHugh under pressure.  Davie Turnbull may go out on a development loan. 

Carson 

Tait                    Kipre.                    Hartley                Dunne

Cadden.                  Donnelly.                Sinclair 

Campbell                  Tanner 

Main 

12 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Carson 

Main 

Six defenders?  What formation is that?

13 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Carson 

Main 

What the fuck is that meant to be? Lol

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Carson 

Main 

That’s the kind of formation I would make the opposition team when I was cheating in football manager.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

So you think they're the two signings he'll be desperate to get in? So he'll play six defenders? 

He rates Donnelly highly so who does he drop out in defence and he said Donnelly can play the holding role .Dont see him dropping Charles so also already stated Sinclair is the left sided player he has been looking for ,of course this all speculation and Robinson could decide to go 3-4-3 aye that will be right